Ford offers dealer cash on cheapest Edge models

Bluecon

Bluecon ...

OK let's start over ...

I see what you are saying even thought I disagree.

Since you like to predict Ford's failures let's start discussing what will be "failure" for the Edge.

This is my goal for the Edge:

- Evaluation should happen: December 2007

- under 1k incentive at any point in 2007.

- under 8k a month (average) / under 100k for the Year of 2007

- under 80% retail total for 2007.

I am quite confident edge will pass this, and I believe I am perfectly in line with Ford's plans. I might be too conservative, but do not worry, my 2008 Edge limits will get stricter and stricter.

I have no doubt that your goals for Edge are higher - so I would like to hear them ... NUMBERS ... predictions .. we can both save them and come back later.. what do you say. Of course - I am affraid you ill come back with 100% retail, no incentive and 400k for the year, but I believe you will be reasonable, like adults usually are.

As you probably know I do not like predicting whether a vehicle will be a hit or a failure. I like to rag on the Sebring because I really do not like the looks, but I guess that was my guilty pleasure. Let's do this right, and I am inviting ANYONE else to set their goal for failure for Edge. This way without discussion like this every time there is any news about the edge, we can track how the edge is doing ... fairly and objectively, because we will have number and standards set BEFOREHAND .. and set in an unambiguous way..

Take me up on my challenge.

Igor

Edited by igor

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"hate to say it, but she's gonna bomb. Go ahead, flame me, but we can revisit this in six months.

- bec5150 on the Ford Edge, Nov 2 2006, 06:40 PM"

All right I tried to stay out of this, but why do you keep quoting Bec when someone asks you for a sales prediction or any other reason why you are currently stating the Edge is a failure? We all know Bec's prediction was that it would "bomb", but what is the definition of bomb? 50k units/yr? 40k/yr? The way you keep answering the question makes no sense, it's like a broken record. Then someone calls you out on it and you retort by calling them spoiled children or some other nonsense. Again, what is YOUR sales prediction for the Edge? What is YOUR definition of whether it is a success or failure? No Bec quote, no previous post quote, just state your answer.

Where I live, the local Ford dealer sells 'em as fast as they arrive.

The sled hasn't been around enough, but wait til May/June. The Edge offers value, and my opinion is that the American consumer will perceive this. The only problem is that this takes time.

Add regular gas for a $3 world and PZEV capability, if the Greenzis have their way, and the Edge seems like it can cope with the future, especially if they can get some weight out of it. If they can't, then the next one should have a diesel option.

This is actually quite reasonable.

Note that Ford has set a goal of 100,000 Edge sales/anually.

http://wardsauto.com/ar/ford_edge_cuv/

If they sell more than that, the vehicle is a success. Less than that, it's not a success.

As you state, we won't know the final outcome until December 31, 2007.

If this is Ford's all in [the Edge and MKX], they're definitely heading for bankrupcy. Let's come to reality. The Edge has a decent exterior, a nice combination of options, low rent interior design and layout, and is mechanically average. The MKX faults are even more glaring when compared to it's price point and segment competition. Not to mention, a number of manufactors are releasing all new CUV that will continue to raise the bar (Highlander, Enclave, Murano, etc.). What's even more discouraging is Mazda will release their CX-9 and it will be garnered with praise, because given the basically same chassis and engine their engineers didn't stop at well enough. I mean could any of you guys give one good reason anyone would spent their hard earned money on these vehicles. In order for Ford to revive they can't Dick Cheney around the obvious. Forget the financial hyperbole and build a nice product and consumers, myself included, will buy it.

Furthermore and on an unrelated note, does anyone know who Ford can advertise they are the midsize sedan offering with Awd, when Subaru has the fantastic Legacy 2.5 GT?

Ford doesn't do 'All in' products anymore.

That was one of the big changes under the first restructuring.

You may recall discussions of "Project Ballpark" during Martin Leach's lawsuit over his resignation/firing.

This was a big part of it: an orchestrated effort to increase the number of models for sale and reduce the number of units required to turn a profit for each model.

I took a test drive of one of these, and I was really disappointed.

Yeah it looks tempting on the outside, but once you get in, but my opinion changed as soon as I fired up the engine and started driving. This thing is SLOW!!! I've got a 6 cyl Mountaineer with AWD and I could probably beat an Edge in a quarter mile. The crappy rough plastic on the door sil felt and somehow smelled cheap.

This is the automotive equivalent of a woman with "butterface", everything looks good, but her face... or in the Edge's case, the interior... :boring:

The thing that is starting to get to me is back during the 2002 restructuring Ford made a lot of noise about tripling their budget for vehicles' interiors. GM said the same thing. Yet, it seems that a full five years later Ford still isn't up to par. I know Ford is tight on money, but is it really that tough to build an interior that outdoes the competition. And yes, the F150 still is one of the better truck interiors, but think of the competition at the time of the 2004 F150. Every new Ford vehicle should have an interior that is better than the competition.

When getting behind the wheel of an Edge, you can see why it didn't wow the critics. It's slow and heavy and the interior is about 5 years behind the times. Still, it's a good middle-ground product with just enough features and design for the money. It certainly isn't the best CUV around, but it is one of the more appealing ones.

How many Edge's did Ford sell in January???

This is a quote from Ford's January sales report:

Edge sales were 5,586 and MKX sales were 1,699. In fact, the Edge post higher sales in its introduction month than did Ford's popular Fusion in its first month (4,078 in October 2005).

This is a quote from Ford's January sales report:

Edge sales were 5,586 and MKX sales were 1,699. In fact, the Edge post higher sales in its introduction month than did Ford's popular Fusion in its first month (4,078 in October 2005).

And its in January to boot. Traditionally a much slower month than October. The dealers in my area are just starting to get the Edge and MKX. The dealer closest to me had 2 SELs both with sold tags. The Lincoln dealer next door has 6 MKXs only one has the Vista Roof the sticker is $43k the others varied from $37-40k. It is a very nice looking vehicle up close as is the Edge.

I don't know why Detroit abandoned the use of soft vinyl all the way up to the windows on the door panels. I think it looked much better than the hard plastic. Hopefully interior upgrades are on the way across the board.

I had high hopes for the Edge, but after taking a long look at a row of them at the dealership I now understand why they are not getting much interest… at least not in this market. The fuel mileage is really disappointing and its weight really hampers its acceleration.

Ford also priced it too closely to the Explorer. One positive - the Explorer is benefiting from the increase in foot traffic of people coming to see the Edge.

Ford also needs to work on its monotone interiors. While it has done well to increase the tactile feel of its switches and controls, it really needs incorporate two tone color schemes such as darker color dashboards and upper door panels that contrast with the rest of the interior.

People have reported that the slow start on Edges are due to dealers not having them. Well, I can tell you that there are dozens sitting on dealer lots here in Fort Lauderdale, and they aren’t moving very many.

"hate to say it, but she's gonna bomb. Go ahead, flame me, but we can revisit this in six months.

- bec5150 on the Ford Edge, Nov 2 2006, 06:40 PM"

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A.../702150362/1148

Greetings,

I am pretty sure that the neither the 4-Runner or Hylander are bombing? They have $1500 and $1000 rebates respectively. Historicly Toyota has much fewer rebates and the ones they have rarely go over $500 so I would say these are pretty huge rebates. 5 years back I could not find a rebate on those two when I was looking at Tahoes and Expys.

Regardless, the Edge was slow to release and I would be willing to bet that 60%+ of all dealers have few to none of them. I go onto the X-plan website and look at the dealers around me and in other parts of MN and there are few to none to be had. 2 or 3 at most, if any. So I would not call the Edge a well selling vehicle yet as it is hardly selling due to such low availability.

The Edge does need to loose some weight, improve braking before I will seriously look at it. But there is nothing else in that class that I am serisouly looking at either. Comparing the Edge at Edmunds with its considered competition it still looks as good or better than most. Honda Pilot? Not over the Edge/No thanks. Murano? Maybe. Hylander? Maybe for my wife, but not over the Edge. Suzuki? Don't think I can take that seriously yet. Hyundai? Not over the Edge.

The Fivehundred would have done better if they named it the 500. Most anything could have helped as they made it as anemic looking as the Camry and Accord with out the history behind it. Regardless, I can't wait for the upgrades to it in 08 Taurus (Fivehundred) as I will be buying that or the 08 Edge.

Fusion? I would say it is selling quite well for its 2nd year? Also, considering Ford's sedan lineup prior to the Fusion and Fivehundred was extreamely worn out and tired I think the Fusion is doing Excellent in jumping over perviouis perceptions.

But as I have now read the entire post it is very clear you are not hear for much. Just stiring it. Trolling. I don't consider 'that's what he said' to be statements worth much weight. Posts that one starts out on vehicle A, and then slips sucker punches in at V-B and V-C/ make it further clear that you are just trolling and baiting which puts you in that bucket over there. The one that usually ends up getting dumped out the back door.

Are you making predictions? Or are you glorifying in the predictions of others that have yet to materialize in any real way and then trying to insert yourself into the prediction? That is all I see.

Oh, well. Regardless, it's a forum and you are having your fun so...

Peace and Blessings

Edited by macattak1

well to be honest Acadia already has 1000 off and low APR ...

and that is the "new benchmark for crossovers" Acadia .. not "fails to raise the bar" Edge

Igor

Have you seen the Acadia? Man, just looking at the pictures of it on Edmunds. The rear seat view. Those rear seats look like boat cushions. My legs and back hurt just thinking about sitting on them.

Now, that may not be true, but they look horrible. Will have to check because before I saw those pics I was actually very impressed with the external looks. All of a sudden I had a possible additional choice next to the Edge.

Peace and Blessings

It gets really weird looking at the Acadia/Outlook/Enclave and the Freestyl-erm-oh-yes-the-Taurus-X. The Freestyle (d'oh!) is about 800lbs lighter and has comparable interior passenger dimensions except that rear seat. The rear seat is quite a bit wider in the GMs, but it's sculpted for 3, not 2, which makes it less comfortable. The Lambdas have more cargo room by a long shot than the Freestyle-oops--Taurus EKKKKKKSSS!!

The Ford (at least it's still that) is a fair bit cheaper, and so I wonder what will happen to it--if it will have a decent year once the 2008s arrive, or if it's just too misplaced in the market (7 seat crossover at a 5-seat price).

Bluecon ...

OK let's start over ...

I see what you are saying even thought I disagree.

Since you like to predict Ford's failures let's start discussing what will be "failure" for the Edge.

I am quite confident edge will pass this, and I believe I am perfectly in line with Ford's plans. I might be too conservative, but do not worry, my 2008 Edge limits will get stricter and stricter.

I have no doubt that your goals for Edge are higher - so I would like to hear them ... NUMBERS ... predictions .. we can both save them and come back later.. what do you say. Of course - I am affraid you ill come back with 100% retail, no incentive and 400k for the year, but I believe you will be reasonable, like adults usually are.

As you probably know I do not like predicting whether a vehicle will be a hit or a failure. I like to rag on the Sebring because I really do not like the looks, but I guess that was my guilty pleasure. Let's do this right, and I am inviting ANYONE else to set their goal for failure for Edge. This way without discussion like this every time there is any news about the edge, we can track how the edge is doing ... fairly and objectively, because we will have number and standards set BEFOREHAND .. and set in an unambiguous way..

Take me up on my challenge.

Igor

Those numbers are very low for a successful single product in a high volume assembly plant.

To be succesful you need 100k for the Edge and 200k for the plant. They need another product in the plant and soon. I don't think they will sell 100k Edges in 2007 even with the late launch. They need 3rd row seating which is were the market is.

Okay. This thread is going to be closed, unless things shape up.

Bluecon: stop insulting people.

The rest of you: Stop insulting Bluecon.

Oh, and one more thing, Bluecon: I will be editing out personal attacks from you henceforth, so knock it off.

The only people I may have insulted was young spoiled children.

My step-mom went and test drove one because it is time to replace her Escape. She loved the way it drove, and even liked the Vista roof in the model she drove, but in the end she didn't like the way the interior was laid out. She ended up going with a Fusion. Blech.

Do you let her park that Fusion in the driveway?

Those numbers are very low for a successful single product in a high volume assembly plant.

To be succesful you need 100k for the Edge and 200k for the plant. They need another product in the plant and soon. I don't think they will sell 100k Edges in 2007 even with the late launch. They need 3rd row seating which is were the market is.

The PMFKAF and the Lincoln version are going to Oakville also. They shouldn't have much problem putting out enough volume, especially compared to what USED to be built there. :hysterical:

To be quite honest the Edge is no slower than a CX-7 or Murano, it is on par with both of those vehicles in terms of raw performance. I doubt a V6 Explorer or Mountaineer, or for that matter a V-8 is going to out gun that vehicle (judging from instrumented testing).

And yes I do agree that Ford needs to put it on some sort of diet and fix those brakes.

As far as interiors are concerned, I'd have to agree with about 80% of your comments. Ford has offered up two tone interiors for quite sometime, but this is something (along with ambient lighting) that Ford needs to roll out across the board and use on a consistent basis. The plastics and fit and finish are up to standard, but something a little special would have been nice. If I could have laid my hands on one with a Vista roof I would have taken it over the Audi, but hey it is what it is.

The PMFKAF and the Lincoln version are going to Oakville also. They shouldn't have much problem putting out enough volume, especially compared to what USED to be built there. :hysterical:

They need to react faster. OAC is capable of 300k per year and they will build 100k?

A stretched 3 row seat version of the Edge should already be in production.