FORD CHALLENGE: the new Expedition EL ads

igor

Rate Ford's Expeditio Challenge Videos  

9 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate Ford's Expedition Challenge Videos?

• * * * * * Awesome
    • * * * * Good
    • * * * Average
    • * * Bad
    • * Poor

Expedition Challenge: Rear Seat Room Ad.

Expedition Challenge: Seat Removal Ad.

IMO Ford blew it with these .. they should have actually shown the actors taking in and out the third row of seats and getitng in and out of the third row of the Suburban (and how much (little) space thye have back there)..

now the ads are MUCH less effective ...

Plus what RJ said about the Fusion Challenge ads - they were effective, because they showed REAL customer driving and being delighted by the cars. these do not do that.

Igor

Eh, I like 'em. Better than the stupid ads that try to tell a story and barely show the vehicles. These are kind or humorous and get a point across. Of course I'd prefer it if Ford wasn't the also-ran that had to do attack ads, but that's where we are at the moment so roll with it.

These are exactly the ads that for years I've been mentioning Ford should make. Compare it to your competitor, its a no-brainer.

I hope they are ditching the ""Lifestyle Ads", where the actors are focused more on selling whack off fantasies of a better way of life. Maybe they can release their orgasms some other way...

I think the ad is funny. It will catch some attention. Even though these may seem a bit corny, this a WAY better then just doing lifestyle advertising. They are actually showing why their product is better then the competition which is an effective way to market a product. The second one should have shown them trying to get into the back of the Suburban...that would have been better.

Edited by 2005Explorer

I think the ad is funny. It will catch some attention. Even though these may seem a bit corny, this a WAY better then just doing lifestyle advertising. They are actually showing why their product is better then the competition which is an effective way to market a product. The second one should have shown them trying to get into the back of the Suburban...that would have been better.

Actually, I thought the ads failed to show how heavy the Suburban's rear seats are, and that they did not emphasize how difficult it is to enter the Suburban's third row.

The commercials are lukewarm. They would've been funnier with better pratfalls. I mean, show the guy ending up in the backseat of the Suburban upside down, after a lot of scrambling that causes the vehicle to move side to side (I'm thinking he starts trying to get in the 3rd row with the camera on him, and then cut to the other side--or back--of the Suburban, with lots of indistinct noises), and have him say, "I don't know how I ended up like this."

Or have sprinters running a relay race with the Suburban's 3rd row seats, show some guy collapse under the weight (comically, of course), or go to lift it up only to discover it to be much heavier than he thinks it is.

I wanted to laugh at these commercials, but I couldn't.

They should have Eric Idle come up with some spots.

Edited by RichardJensen

Actually, I thought the ads failed to show how heavy the Suburban's rear seats are, and that they did not emphasize how difficult it is to enter the Suburban's third row.

Well, entering the Expedition's third row isn't exactly a pleasant sight either, but I agree, the approach just sucked. I even felt embarrased just looking at them. Awkward ad,

Well, entering the Expedition's third row isn't exactly a pleasant sight either, but I agree, the approach just sucked. I even felt embarrased just looking at them. Awkward ad,

The perfet ad aimed at Suburban owners, and I bet they get damned annoyed after the 10th viewing or so.

Let's hope they start using real owners instead of the "smiley glitzy Merc drivers" pretending to be SUV owners.

Those two remind of the annoying neighbors on "According to Jim!"

I was just thinking the same thing :hysterical:

Ads are not super impressive. What about something showing the towing capabilities? Like that old ad for the (new at the time) 3V V8 Expedition.

Edited by Duratec_Nick

I was just thinking the same thing :hysterical:

Ads are not super impressive. What about something showing the towing capabilities? Like that old ad for the (new at the time) 3V V8 Expedition.

Then again, those ads are aimed at people who will use them like cars. Most people won't use the towing every day, but they'll have to deal with the seats quite a bit.

A while back (over 20 years ago, IIRC), Ford's marketing people decided that no Ford commercial would mention any other competitor by name.

If memory serves, the F150 commercial from one-two years ago, where the Dog jumps out of the Silverado pickup into the F150 didn't mention Chevy specifically.

Anyway, there's this big mountain of inertia against competitive advertising at Ford, and there is a certain amount of logic to it: every time you mention a competitor's product you're giving them a certain amount of free advertising, and if you mention your competition as often as you mention your own product, there's a real danger that customers will mistake the commercial for one of your competitor's.

However, there's a time and place for all things. These Expy commercials are just too timid. They don't do anything well. They're not farcial, they're not serious, they don't show much of the Suburban, but they don't show much of the Expy either. I don't think they weight mentions of the Expy over the Suburban--you have to be listening to the dialog (or watching the TV) to get an idea what's going on.

By contrast the F150 commercials work better because they don't mention the competition by name, and the 'two trucks to tow' commercial is stylistically similar to Toyota's new Tundra ads--which furthers the customer confusion around Toyota's campaign (as one of Ford's marketing guys put it: 'they climbed up into our lap').