Ford Crown Victoria regulated to fleet sales

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So does this hamper the 2009 refresh? Or will it be available to the public again then?

I think this is probably the final death toll for the Panther in general. Despite optimism from the "mafia", I'm not expecting much of anything on the '09 refresh.

With word now of a new RWD sedan entering the lineup around 2015 (according to Blue II) I wouldn't expect any revival for the old lady.

I think this is probably the final death toll for the Panther in general. Despite optimism from the "mafia", I'm not expecting much of anything on the '09 refresh.

With word now of a new RWD sedan entering the lineup around 2015 (according to Blue II) I wouldn't expect any revival for the old lady.

the 2009 refresh of CV was always aimed squarely at the LEO fleet, and not retail appeal. I am unsure about the bearing on other panthers, but the TC is supposed to get a thorough reworking in 2009 as well.

Igor

the 2009 refresh of CV was always aimed squarely at the LEO fleet, and not retail appeal. I am unsure about the bearing on other panthers, but the TC is supposed to get a thorough reworking in 2009 as well.

Igor

Well, the TC revamp seems required more than optional. With it moving to St. Thomas, I'm sure there were certain aspects of the design that need to be changed to make it compatible with the same line the CV/GM use. I doubt we'll see anything that's really an "improvement" though.

Of, if they're going through the trouble of reworking anything, they definitely won't back track. I mean, some harp on the Escape having rear drum brakes, but, aside from that, I believe that there will be some improvements in the platform for the 09. Nothing drastic, mind you, but, there none the less. What is more likely is that the improvements will carry over to the CV (and cvpi) and GM. So, the differentiation for the TC will likely be available options, sound deadening, and maybe a custom wheelbase. I doubt that there will be more than one engine offered. And, I firmly believe that the engine will be the 4.6L 3v sas it will be needed to raise fleet mpg figures. The F-150 is dropping the 4.6L 2v ( it may exist for a short time as a base engine offering) AFAIK, meaning that the last user of that engine will be the panthers. I can't see that supporting its own engine line. They can't backtrack on power, and we know they'd never do the work to shove a 5.4L in there. Nor would they do the work to shove a hurricane in there. Its got to be the 3V 4.6L. I think that will be a nice middleground between the Charger Hemi and 3.5L. HP will be smack in the middle as will torque. Mpg should be as good as or better than the 3.5L, with performance figures coming closer to the HEMI.

2015? :hysterical:

Well didn't most retail customers that want this type of car get a Grand Marquis anyhow?

more chrome equates to more slow moving inventory and larger rebates....I had people wanting CV's...we didn't have any ...plenty of Marquis down the road....

Of, if they're going through the trouble of reworking anything, they definitely won't back track. I mean, some harp on the Escape having rear drum brakes, but, aside from that, I believe that there will be some improvements in the platform for the 09. Nothing drastic, mind you, but, there none the less. What is more likely is that the improvements will carry over to the CV (and cvpi) and GM. So, the differentiation for the TC will likely be available options, sound deadening, and maybe a custom wheelbase. I doubt that there will be more than one engine offered. And, I firmly believe that the engine will be the 4.6L 3v sas it will be needed to raise fleet mpg figures. The F-150 is dropping the 4.6L 2v ( it may exist for a short time as a base engine offering) AFAIK, meaning that the last user of that engine will be the panthers. I can't see that supporting its own engine line. They can't backtrack on power, and we know they'd never do the work to shove a 5.4L in there. Nor would they do the work to shove a hurricane in there. Its got to be the 3V 4.6L. I think that will be a nice middleground between the Charger Hemi and 3.5L. HP will be smack in the middle as will torque. Mpg should be as good as or better than the 3.5L, with performance figures coming closer to the HEMI.

the E-series still uses the 2v 4.6l

So instead of improving their one RWD sedan they are going to abandon it?

How about an all new CV? Why is it only Ford that can't figure out how to update their cars????

And what's this about 2015? who would give a flying fuck by then? That's almost a decade away!!! What a joke!

I honestly prefer the look of the Vic to the Marquis...but of course, that's just my preferences. That said, it really doesn't bother me that much. First, I'm not sure how much of a sure thing this info is, but I think most expected this move sooner or later. Second, I think the future must be the Mustang-platform for Ford to keep the Ford RWD sedan alive. The Taurus Five-Hundred isn't going to get me trading a Crown Vic for sure! Just won't happen. They are nice enough for what they are, but do very little for me personally.

With a few tweaks, however, I would be interested in the Interceptor concept in production form.

I don't see from the news release where they are saying they are fleet only. However, go to any Ford dealer - none of them stock a Crown Vic even if you wanted to buy one, and with the difference in rebates, a Grand Marquis is a better buy.

If we assume they are going fleet, will the bring back the LSE for the Grand Marquis?

I'm hoping to get one more Grand Marquis, sometime around 2012 - it would probably be the last gasoline powered automobile I'd own, as I figure by 2022 hybirds, plug ins, or something else will be available.

But hey, if the Grand Marquis is still around in 2022, I'd buy another one then too.

The CV has been fleet only for several years now in Canada with the GM picking up just the retail side. The number of retail sales the CV sees is minimal any ways. This should push down the number of Fleet sales of the GM.

The retail buyers of the CV will to move to the GM. The cars are Identical any ways except for the grill, dash and some minor trim parts. Exact Same car just a different badge.

Since the GM is going to be basically retail only we may see a merging of the TC and GM in parts sharing in the next sheet metal Update (if there is one). Allowing for larger margins on the TC. And let the CV PI carry on with it's existing sheet metal, since the Fleet crowd really will not care if it receives reworked outer metal or not. It should help distinguish the GM from the CV and allow the GM to command better pricing.

Looks like the CV is destined to become the modern day Checker.

The CV going fleet only is no big surprise really. And it was just a matter of time be for it happened.

Matthew

Ford of Canada has not offered a retail Crown Victoria for a few years. If you want a panther, it's either the Town Car or the Grand Marquis. The Grand Marquis has continued to be the only Mercury product offered in Canada for approximately five years.

I miss Mercury about as much as I miss Oldsmobile and Plymouth.

The cars are Identical any ways except for the grill, dash and some minor trim parts. Exact Same car just a different badge.

I don't want to start an argument, but park a CV and a GM side-by-side, and look.

The exterior panels are all different, except maybe the door-skins. Fenders, hood, trunk, C-pillar assembly/roof, front clip and rear clip are all different.