Where's that picture of the burning CRV?

Anthony

CRV replaces Explorer as best selling SUV

Source Autoblog

explorer-crv.jpg

It looks like the age of the traditional body-on-frame SUV is coming to a close for most mainstream customers. While there will continue to be a market for big SUVs like the Tahoe and Expedition for customers who actually need to haul or tow stuff, many customers in the high volume mid-sized segment are realizing they can get by with something a little smaller and lot more fuel efficient.

The Ford Explorer dominated SUV sales charts throughout the 1990s and into the first part of this decade with sales of 445,157 in 2000. In the last couple of years, however, Explorer sales have tanked seeing it drop from first to fourth on the sales charts. Last year ,sales dipped to 179, 229 and the freefall shows no signs of letting up. The numbers are down another twenty-three percent so far this year.

On the flipside, sales of the redesigned Honda CR-V are up forty-two percent so far this year and it has jumped to the number one spot on the chart followed by the Toyota RAV-4 and Ford Escape, with the new Ford Edge coming on strong as well. The CR-V is doing so well that Honda is having to consider how to increase volume to meet the demand. For the first time, the automaker has started importing extra units from Japan to supplement the main production facility in East Liberty Ohio. Ford has already announced plans to move the Explorer to a unit-body crossover platform, which can't happen soon enough. The only problem will be finding a place to fit into a lineup already filled with the Escape, Edge, Flex and Taurus X.

I'll throw a little spin in first: Even though Ford lost the crown, they are still the strongest SUV seller....even without the Explorer.

Edited by Intrepidatious

My wife was looking to replace No. 1 son's '92 4Runner, which she had been using, and which had blown a head gasket with 152,000 mi. on it. She had been an Accord driver since '83, but liked having the 4Runner during our very severe Winter this year. We looked at Explorers - which she seemed to be leaning towards, and at 4Runners, which were a bit expensive, and in the V8 version, a bit over-refined. It felt like my grandpa's Dodge. Not like the truck that the old '92 felt like - which she liked.

The thing that really shocked me during the shopping (besides the fact that she was considering a Ford) was that our local Ford dealer had like 20 or 30 2006 Explorers with between 6,000 and 20,000 miles on them, and none were over $20,000.00. On the one hand, seemed like the opportunity for a great deal. On the other hand you're thinking "My God, what a hit the first owner must have taken." - knowing what a new one would be by the time you got out of the back room. Of course, they were no doubt lease returns. Nevertheless.

I am sorry to report that the pigs remain grounded (:pig:): she ended up negotiating a pretty good deal on a brand new V6 4Runner, which didn't feel like my grandpa's Dodge, but is a very nice vehicle and will suit her just fine and provide some measure of comfort during our Winters.

My point in all this - aside from reporting on the result of wifey's car-shopping adventure, which I had brought up a while back - is that, yes, the Explorer seems to be getting toward the end of its shelf-life. It seems like a great vehicle - it had some features that I liked much better than the 4Runner (the way the seats fold for instance), but may be cursed by its very popularity. There are at least 6 on my street here. The Escape might be a more direct competitor for the CRV - but it too is a bit stale. It reminds me of something that a middle class Thai family might aspire to 5 years ago. Update the Escape and let it be the car-based competitor to the CRV and Rav4. Relieve the Explorer of its vanilla Ameri-generic styling and let it be a truck - as long as it's going to be getting 14 mpg.

My wife was looking to replace No. 1 son's '92 4Runner, which she had been using, and which had blown a head gasket with 152,000 mi. on it. She had been an Accord driver since '83, but liked having the 4Runner during our very severe Winter this year. We looked at Explorers - which she seemed to be leaning towards, and at 4Runners, which were a bit expensive, and in the V8 version, a bit over-refined. It felt like my grandpa's Dodge. Not like the truck that the old '92 felt like - which she liked.

The thing that really shocked me during the shopping (besides the fact that she was considering a Ford) was that our local Ford dealer had like 20 or 30 2006 Explorers with between 6,000 and 20,000 miles on them, and none were over $20,000.00. On the one hand, seemed like the opportunity for a great deal. On the other hand you're thinking "My God, what a hit the first owner must have taken." - knowing what a new one would be by the time you got out of the back room. Of course, they were no doubt lease returns. Nevertheless.

I am sorry to report that the pigs remain grounded ( :pig: ): she ended up negotiating a pretty good deal on a brand new V6 4Runner, which didn't feel like my grandpa's Dodge, but is a very nice vehicle and will suit her just fine and provide some measure of comfort during our Winters.

My point in all this - aside from reporting on the result of wifey's car-shopping adventure, which I had brought up a while back - is that, yes, the Explorer seems to be getting toward the end of its shelf-life. It seems like a great vehicle - it had some features that I liked much better than the 4Runner (the way the seats fold for instance), but may be cursed by its very popularity. There are at least 6 on my street here. The Escape might be a more direct competitor for the CRV - but it too is a bit stale. It reminds me of something that a middle class Thai family might aspire to 5 years ago. Update the Escape and let it be the car-based competitor to the CRV and Rav4. Relieve the Explorer of its vanilla Ameri-generic styling and let it be a truck - as long as it's going to be getting 14 mpg.

Your head gasket did not blow, it is your imagination....Toyota is perfect.

NEVER FORGET IT!!!

NOW GO BUY YOURSELF A TUNDRA AND REPENT!!!!!

Your head gasket did not blow, it is your imagination....Toyota is perfect.

NEVER FORGET IT!!!

NOW GO BUY YOURSELF A TUNDRA AND REPENT!!!!!

ebritt, is that you or the Jim Beam talking? (I like Sunday evenings. - Doing sidecars here myself.)

I gotta say, I looked at the Tundra when we were at the Toyota dealer. Man, what a pig! I'm sure the drivetrain is awesome, but what a pig! ('Course, I feel that way about most full-sized trucks nowadays. Give me a '65 F-100 with a 390 4-spd, and I'll be happy. I promise.)

Ford%20Truck%202%20001.jpg

That right there is all the truck I'd ever need. And it ain't as beeg as no steenkin' Tundra.

Look at that CRV.

Gives me some hope for the '08 Focus.

Apparently, what I consider to be hideously ugly is quite popular these days.

The CRV, to me, is like the 'Producers' come to life. Maybe Honda wanted to get out of the SUV business, because they want to be extra super green. Thus they cooked up an SUV only a blind person could appreciate, and lo and behold, the people have spoken, and they approve of it.

Beastly elephant-seal beak, slack jaw, and all.

Can't decide whether the CRV looks more like this:

cletus01.jpg

or this:

male.jpg

I'm leaning toward elephant seal these days.

crv1ou6.jpg

(for comparison)

Edited by RichardJensen

ebritt, is that you or the Jim Beam talking? (I like Sunday evenings. - Doing sidecars here myself.)

I gotta say, I looked at the Tundra when we were at the Toyota dealer. Man, what a pig! I'm sure the drivetrain is awesome, but what a pig! ('Course, I feel that way about most full-sized trucks nowadays. Give me a '65 F-100 with a 390 4-spd, and I'll be happy. I promise.)

That right there is all the truck I'd ever need. And it ain't as beeg as no steenkin' Tundra.

Wait a second; you think todays trucks are ugly and that 40 year old beater is a beauty queen. Your definition of pretty is very weird to say the least. I bet you think Rosanne is prettier than Cindy Crawford. :hysterical:

Well what truck based SUV is burning up the sales charts?

This is merely an example of where market trends have shifted. The Explorer could have been the quietest, fastest, most luxurious offering out there and it would still struggle when compared to the CRV and Rav4

Absolutely. Take a look at this list of Top 20 Selling Vehicles, current as of a couple weeks ago.

LINK

Some observations:

*Honda's CR-V, Ford's Escape and Toyota's RAV-4 weren't even on the list last year.

*Impala's big jump six places and 20% growth is likely part of the on-off relationship GM has with rear-drive.

*Smaller cars are moving up as well. Cobalt up a spot. Focus up two. Prius and Fusion on the board. Corolla still doing great. The only one lagging a bit is the Civic, for whatever reason.

*The Explorer and Trailblazer have basically dropped off the map.

*Impala's big jump six places and 20% growth is likely part of the on-off relationship GM has with rear-drive.

Zuh?

You think people are buying Impalas today on the rumor that they're going to be RWD in a couple years?

Isn't it a wee bit more likely that the cancellation of the similarly sized Ford Taurus (which sold in the neighborhood of 15k units a month) has something to do with this?

Zuh?

You think people are buying Impalas today on the rumor that they're going to be RWD in a couple years?

Isn't it a wee bit more likely that the cancellation of the similarly sized Ford Taurus (which sold in the neighborhood of 15k units a month) has something to do with this?

No, I meant that the fact that the current FWD Impala is doing so well might be a reason why GM is hesitant to make the next one rear-drive. Of course, your reason works, too. For now. When the more-spacious Taurus comes around, it'll be interesting to see if Impala's big gains continue.

My brother is finishing up his 65 F-100 (candy apply red) now. The glass shop is putting in a new windshield. Then, it will be done. I'll try to remember to post a pic.

Back on topic: Since when is the CRV an SUV?!

No, I meant that the fact that the current FWD Impala is doing so well might be a reason why GM is hesitant to make the next one rear-drive. Of course, your reason works, too. For now. When the more-spacious Taurus comes around, it'll be interesting to see if Impala's big gains continue.

Doing well in what regard?

Zuh?

posted in error

Edited by bravestar

Wait a second; you think todays trucks are ugly and that 40 year old beater is a beauty queen. Your definition of pretty is very weird to say the least. I bet you think Rosanne is prettier than Cindy Crawford. :hysterical:

I was just talking about the size. I bet that old Ford is about the same size as a Tacoma, or smaller - let alone the tundra or a new F150. I do like the way the '65 looks, but I realize that has as much to do with nostalgia as anything. (I went from age 4 to age 14 in the 60s).

And, for the record, I don't like the looks of the new CRV. What I hate most about it is the same thing I hate about the Mercedes CUV: the 'C' pillar that is narrow at the bottom, and wide at the top. I didn't like it on my grandpa's '66 Coronet, and I don't like it on these.

Edited by retro-man

The CRV competes with Escape, not Explorer. But the Honda Pilot is doing all right against BOF middies. The Taurus X can become Taurus ExPlorer next re-do!

Still, Explorers dropping off the charts is #1 reason Ford lost $$ in past while, not just because of the Taurus or Crown Vic being older cars. The saying '...eggs in one basket' is totally true here.

My brother is finishing up his 65 F-100 (candy apply red) now. The glass shop is putting in a new windshield. Then, it will be done. I'll try to remember to post a pic.

Please do. I'd like to see it! (At least somebody's taste isn't all in their mouth.)

local dealer said impala sales atm are 65per fleet adn 35 retail.
In his neck of the woods or nationally? I just find it hard to believe that GM would make such a big deal about decreasing their reliance on fleet sales, only to increase the percentage on their highest-selling model. Oh, who am I kidding. It wouldn't surprise me, at all.