2008 Fusion Here

FordBuyer

Checking out the 2008 Fusion V6 SEL model and I4 SE model:

New EPA ratings for V6 FWD are 18 and 26

New rating for I4 is 20 and 28

Only change I could see was SEL models have the same switch gear as Taurus. Center stack is same, but switch gear has chrome on outer edges. No other changes to speak of that I could tell. Standard on SEL V6 is door keypad, tire pressure monitor, and ABS brakes. The keypad is color matched and looks nice. There is also a moon and tune option with better stereo system. All the SEL V6's I saw had same options and sticker was $25,790. All were pretty much loaded, but no navigation system. No AWD's present. Hate to see what that fuel mileage is.

I don't know, but Fusion IMO came out bad with new EPA ratings. Ford should have instituted some engineering changes to keep from losing so much fuel mileage when gas prices are going up. I have seen the 2008 Impala, and I foget the city mileage but I will guess 19, and I know the highway was 29 which is better than I4 Fusion. Also, you can get an SEL Taurus for about same money as Fusion SEL, get better gas mileage, have more features and room, and have more power.

The Fusion gas mileage has dropped all three years, and only reinforces thought that Ford's get poor gas mileage. I can hear it now. Impala V6 gets 29 highway and 4 banger Fusion gets only 28. IMO, the Fusion refreshening can't come soon enough with new engine choices and hopefully better gas mileage like the 3.5. Come on Ford...let's step it up. Only one Ford now gets 30 or better according to new EPA ratings while GM and others will have much more than one. This really gets tiresome year after year. We are always waiting for things to improve and good times never get here. Fusion really needs Hybrid NOW.

Does anyone actually know when the refreshed 2009 Fusion will be on sale? Is it going to be a year from now or will Ford release it early like the Escape and Mariner? I'm hoping for the latter as my lease will be up in less than a year. And it seems like most of the Fusion's domestic competition is surpassing it on fuel economy...Impala, Malibu, Aura.

Ford's fuel economy is going to look bad especially compared to GM. The reason being is GM is using cylinder deactivation technology on many of their new cars. A friend is getting 30mpg in his Impala.

Instead of focusing on more high horsepower variations of the Mustang Ford needs to improve fuel economy. It's a simple

Probably early release.

I'd love to believe you, but we have yet to see a prototype running around all gussied up. I'm worried that Ford will once again be caught with their pants down here. If it's not out by March, Ford is a world of hurt. Which is a shame, because the Fusion was doing so well until this fall when the Accord and Malibu will completely embarass it.

I'd love to believe you, but we have yet to see a prototype running around all gussied up. I'm worried that Ford will once again be caught with their pants down here. If it's not out by March, Ford is a world of hurt. Which is a shame, because the Fusion was doing so well until this fall when the Accord and Malibu will completely embarass it.

There are TONS of mechanical prototypes running around... they just haven't needed any disguise, since there aren't any changes in proportions to the new models. My rough guess is that we'll see 2009 Fusions in showrooms by late spring early summer next year.

There are TONS of mechanical prototypes running around... they just haven't needed any disguise, since there aren't any changes in proportions to the new models. My rough guess is that we'll see 2009 Fusions in showrooms by late spring early summer next year.

While this is Ford, it would make sense for a 1st quarter launch. With the Flex and MKS, in the Second Quarter and the F-150 and Lincoln Flex in the 3rd quarter. Show the '09 at the L.A. Auto show in November on sale ~Feb. Having a freshed MKZ in the Lincoln showroom would do good if someone comes in looking for a MKS and can not afford the payments on it. I also wonder if the Fusion gets a early launch if you will see the Escape with the new powertrains launch shortly after you know the ones everyone says is coming. Ford also said in the past(more lies?) that Stability control would be Std. on ever vehicle it sells by 2009 so everything by the end of next year will have it. (Hybrid Escape as well?) I know a few surprises will turn up on next year on the Auto show circuit as well.

While this is Ford, it would make sense for a 1st quarter launch. With the Flex and MKS, in the Second Quarter and the F-150 and Lincoln Flex in the 3rd quarter. Show the '09 at the L.A. Auto show in November on sale ~Feb. Having a freshed MKZ in the Lincoln showroom would do good if someone comes in looking for a MKS and can not afford the payments on it. I also wonder if the Fusion gets a early launch if you will see the Escape with the new powertrains launch shortly after you know the ones everyone says is coming. Ford also said in the past(more lies?) that Stability control would be Std. on ever vehicle it sells by 2009 so everything by the end of next year will have it. (Hybrid Escape as well?) I know a few surprises will turn up on next year on the Auto show circuit as well.

I'm pretty sure someone said the goal was to launch the new Escape powertrains in Q1 next year. I think they've already been installing the tooling to produce the new transmission.

All the cylinder deactivation in the world, won't help the fact that there are still a large amount of GM vehicles running around with the same old 4 speed auto. Case in point, the new Taurus vs. the 3.9 V-6 in the Impala. They both get the same fuel econ in the city but highway fuel economy suffers in the Impala.

The Fusion on the other hand is pretty much midpack when it comes to C/D size offerings.

All the cylinder deactivation in the world, won't help the fact that there are still a large amount of GM vehicles running around with the same old 4 speed auto. Case in point, the new Taurus vs. the 3.9 V-6 in the Impala. They both get the same fuel econ in the city but highway fuel economy suffers in the Impala.

The Fusion on the other hand is pretty much midpack when it comes to C/D size offerings.

More spin and excuses. Where do you do the majority of your driving, BTW?

Do you own a Fusion?

About 50/50 highway and city in the Florida heat with the A/C running pretty much 24/7.....I'm getting about 22 MPG and that includes my heavy foot.

No I drive a Legacy, and thought you didn't "step into it" evertime you drive, that was your basis for not caring about in accelerating attributes of a car.

Do you own a Fusion?

About 50/50 highway and city in the Florida heat with the A/C running pretty much 24/7.....I'm getting about 22 MPG and that includes my heavy foot.

wow, what changed with the 08 fusion? my 06 SEL with 3.0 gets 23 combined.. 50-50 highway freeway,.

while city driving can be hard to gauge.. i know i get 28mpg on highway at 80mph.. iam curious of changes in car from 06 to 08 that would make it lose 2 mpg on highway?

wow, what changed with the 08 fusion? my 06 SEL with 3.0 gets 23 combined.. 50-50 highway freeway,.

while city driving can be hard to gauge.. i know i get 28mpg on highway at 80mph.. iam curious of changes in car from 06 to 08 that would make it lose 2 mpg on highway?

Nothing on the vehicle changed. EPA fuel economy testing procedure changed.

Funny thing - The '08 Taurus fuel economy INCREASED over the '07 Five Hundred when they added the 3.5.

Poor Fusion.

Edited by NickF1011

Nothing on the vehicle changed. EPA fuel economy testing procedure changed.

Funny thing - The '08 Taurus fuel economy INCREASED over the '07 Five Hundred when they added the 3.5.

Poor Fusion.

well, thier testing is flawed.. my car gets 2mpg better than their testing, and iam pretty heavily footed in city driving and do 80+ on my freeway runs.

that being said, a 3.5 in fusion would be nice.. probably get better mileage than taurus.. but iam pretty happy with my 06 fusion, i get over 400 miles to a tank and rarely fill over 15 or 15.5 gallons... you do the math.

well, thier testing is flawed.. my car gets 2mpg better than their testing, and iam pretty heavily footed in city driving and do 80+ on my freeway runs.

that being said, a 3.5 in fusion would be nice.. probably get better mileage than taurus.. but iam pretty happy with my 06 fusion, i get over 400 miles to a tank and rarely fill over 15 or 15.5 gallons... you do the math.

EPA tests will never be 100% accurate, but the new method overall seems to be a LOT more realistic than the previous method they used.

No I drive a Legacy, and thought you didn't "step into it" evertime you drive, that was your basis for not caring about in accelerating attributes of a car.

No what I did say was:

Yes, because everyone trounces the gas peddle everytime they accelerate. Next.

.....which was in response to your comments regarding how fast 'x' car accelerated to 60. Anyhow by heavy foot I meant by going around traffic, which in South Florida tend to occupy all of the wrong lanes on the local freeways. Something which the Fusion has no problem doing.

So you drive a Legacy eh? So how were my comments above more 'spin' and 'excuses', even though you don't have real world tangible experience with a V-6 Fusion and I do? Is it because you loathe the car that much that you will find any and everything, even if it doesn't make sense, wrong with it? Or is it because you are so all high and mighty because you drive a Subaru Legacy?

I currently own a 2000 Mustang. The official EPA mileage was 20/29. Using the 2008 standards, it would be 17/26. With straight highway driving, I always get 29 MPG. The new city standard is closer to what I get, i.e., 16 to 17 MPG with mostly city driving. So for my car, it would be the new city standard and the old highway standard.

No what I did say was:

.....which was in response to your comments regarding how fast 'x' car accelerated to 60. Anyhow by heavy foot I meant by going around traffic, which in South Florida tend to occupy all of the wrong lanes on the local freeways. Something which the Fusion has no problem doing.

So you drive a Legacy eh? So how were my comments above more 'spin' and 'excuses', even though you don't have real world tangible experience with a V-6 Fusion and I do? Is it because you loathe the car that much that you will find any and everything, even if it doesn't make sense, wrong with it? Or is it because you are so all high and mighty because you drive a Subaru Legacy?

huh? legacy is supposed to be a upscale car? lol, ya ok... they are nice indeed.. but nothing special. this guy at work as the turbo one, pretty nice looking and looks the fast part.. smoked my fusion lol.. but not my 5.0.. think he gave up at the 60 foot mark lol.

EPA tests will never be 100% accurate, but the new method overall seems to be a LOT more realistic than the previous method they used.

New EPA 2010 Ratings:

Spend 15 minutes in Tim Horton's drive-thru line in morning waiting for your coffee and donuts with air conditioning runnning. Spend another 20 minutes in drive-thru line at McDonalds at lunch time waiting for your Big Mac and 44 ounze Coke. Spend another 15 minutes after work waiting in local bank drive-thru line waiting to cash your check and pay your bills. Then at dinner spend another 15 minutes in Boston Market drive-thru line waiting for your meat loaf dinner.

The vehicle being tested will be the 2010 Fusion Twin Force Turbo and city mileage after above test will be 12 mpg and count against Ford as fleet average will have to be 29.5 combined average. Of course the Fusion Hybrid will get 40 mpg in this test as it will be running on electric motor only as most Americans spend their day in drive-thru lines.

Moral of this story.....make all your vehicle hybrids as new EPA ratings will test vehicle considering most Americans do spend most of their day buying and consuming fast food in drive-thru lines.

Can someone explain "braille" at the bank drive-thru teller ?

Can someone explain why the Homo Depot has about 20 Handicapp parking spaces, maybe one is ever used? Or my gym for that matter which has about 10, all un-used... :)

And speaking of, Why is it that some people must complicate themselves at the McD's, and at the drive-thru speaker they ask.."And can you put the sauce on the side, can you cut that in half, Oh and no Ice please"... I mean, they are GOING to get it wrong anyways, your slowing down everyone behind you, and they are probably going to SPIT in your food for complicating their lives....