08 Focus Prices LEAKED

igor

A guy at www.Focaljet.com posted the dealer price list of the new Focus ..

Base prices:

Coupe S - $14,075

Coupe SE - $15,075

Coupe SES -$16,075

Sedan S - $14,375

Sedan SE - $15,375

Sedan SES - $16,375

ALL MODELS Destination and Delivery $620

OPTIONS PRICES AT LINK:

http://forums.focaljet.com/team-pit-stop/5...us-pricing.html

I have to say this is a bit higher than I expected. So I guess Ford is more confident in the 08 Focus than the online crowd ;)

Igor

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't the pricing is that way out of line, I'm sure that Ford will offer some sort of rebate, like a $500 dollars cash back and another $500 though Ford Motor Credit if you finance though them... They don't look to be that much higher then a fully loaded SES Focus, and the current model doesnt have Sync.

I was kind of hoping that the Focus would start at $13,995 for the sedan. Given the equipment levels and the fact that currently the Focus is selling for about $4,000 off MSRP for every car moved, I'm not sure the brand "Focus" can take a price increase. It will just lead to more discounts. It better be the best driving vehicle in its class, and they better have a really good ad campaign lined up - if it's as dumb as that Edge song, I'm going to be mad.

Base price comparison (as useless as base prices are):

Aveo5: $10,560

Aveo: $12,575

Cobalt: $13,790 (coupe or sedan)

Civic Coupe: $14,810

Civic Sedan: $15,010

Fit: $13,950

Corolla: $14,405

Yaris 3door: $11,150

Yaris Sedan: $12.025

Spectra: $13,520

Spectra5: $16,620

Sentra: $15,750

Versa: $12,550

Elantra: $13,395

Caliber: $14,410

Igor

The question of the hour is will Ford make any money on them? :P

if they manage to sell at invoice - YES ... the question is of course the discounts ..

we will not know the real world transaction prices until they happen .. for now the invoice is set at break even or slight profit .. especially since so muh of the engineering was paid for already by people like me and you Silver :D

Igor

Well, lets see. We know the following...

They weren't able to make any money on the previous focus models.

They've had to invest additional expense into these to give them their face lift, to do the coupe bodystyle, to revamp the interior, and to make other improvements.

They are still making them in the same place with the same workers under a similar contract.

Their fixed building costs are similar.

The cost of materials is likely higher.

The cost of utilities is slightly higher (as it has been gradually rising nation wide)

They have reduce build complexity by having two fewer body styles to produce (no wagon, no 3 door hatch, no 5 door hatch, new coupe).

So, as opposed to last years model, they have to amortize additional development costs per unit, have ever so slightly higher materials and energy costs, have similar labor costs, and have similar legacy costs. They are pricing the vehicle slightly above the previous unit's MSRP, but it is still a nameplate that demands large rebates.

Given all of that, I suggest that they are still going to loose in excess of $1000 per unit if earlier figures that were tossed around here at above $2000 a unit were remotely true.

A major differnetiator here could be one of two things:

Sync is a major hit and they sell at or above MSRP (not likely, SYNCs good, but this is still a Focus we're talking about)

They have improved gas mileage to be tied or better than segment leading (Not freaking likely, still has the same 4AT and same engine as before, competition has smaller engine (honda 1.8L) and more gears (Honda 5AT) to give a starting advantage for fuel economy.

So, I believe it won't bleed as badly, but it will still bleed.

^^^Ford is hoping that the Focus with the polarizing looks will deter the "any car as long as it is cheap" buyers and in general the bargain hunters, but that it will energize people that want the PARTICULAR car - the Focus .. and thus that Ford will be able to sell them at close to invoice ...

Only time will tell .. but I believe since 2001 this Focus is the best positioned for that (2001 because after that Focus' image was tarnished by the recalls, and after that Ford refused to be proud of the car, advertise it and refuse to sell it for bargain price). The 05+ was bland deterring people from being EXCITED about the car - instead they just shoppeod by price .. This car has distinctive looks that a LOT of people love .. (and some hate) and thus stands better chance of selling close to invoice or even sticker .. look at Edge.

However, as I said a LOT of times in this post - this is a ll theory and prediction - we will not know until sales figures are in.

Igor

Edited by igor

Ford is probably pushing things up a bit, to make price-space for the B-car. Just look at the Fit, it's prices at current Focus levels, and can hit much higher with fully loaded. The price Ford is asking for the '08 Focus will reflect more equipment that the vehicle will come in...more standards features.

I think they are starting with a higher base price because they know the average Joe consumer expects cash on the hood. If they see a new Focus for 13.000 they are less impressed than if they see an ad for a new Focus for 2K off. It doesnt matter if the car starts at 15 and with 2 k off ends at 13, In the average consumers mind, they got a 15K car for 13 K.

If Ford were to price it at 13K, Joe would still expet the 2K off and now we are looking at 11K which is a looser deal for Ford.

Ford would rather sell 100K Foci /Yr at 500.00 /car profit than 1,000,000/ yr at 100/car loss

I don't the pricing is that way out of line.

Of course you wouldn't.

2008_Focus.jpg

1BIG.jpg

Then:

"Bububu who would pay 17k for a loaded C1 Focus anyway? 14k tops in the US"

Now:

"Bububu nothing wrong with such pricing now that my masters gave me a nod"

Edited by pcsario

I think they are starting with a higher base price because they know the average Joe consumer expects cash on the hood. If they see a new Focus for 13.000 they are less impressed than if they see an ad for a new Focus for 2K off. It doesnt matter if the car starts at 15 and with 2 k off ends at 13, In the average consumers mind, they got a 15K car for 13 K.

If Ford were to price it at 13K, Joe would still expet the 2K off and now we are looking at 11K which is a looser deal for Ford.

Ford would rather sell 100K Foci /Yr at 500.00 /car profit than 1,000,000/ yr at 100/car loss

It's true, but there are still CAFE and fixed cost considerations that factor into that equation. Now it coudl be that Ford is able to offset some of that CAFE beacuse the new Taurus has better mileage for the 2008 fleet and because the Focus' mileage is higher, it needs not sell as many units. In which case they can target 120-150k per year with their headcount and tooling investment and just produce to meet that demand.

It's true that 100k turning in $500 is better than a lot losing money, but there are still numbers games that HAVE to be played out with the Focus' sales.

I just hope Ford isn't betting the farm on SYNC. It's great technology and will certainly drive traffic, but until I hear real consumer response and see enthusiasm, it's a big risk - not to mention that the cars they will equip with SYNC are often considered lower-standard in the industry because of Ford's perception in the marketplace.

PC............don't muttle another thread with your useless BS!

That bububu crap is old and tired, just like your idiotic rants. It's one thing to criticize, but what you do takes the whole friggin thread (and board) down with you.

At anyrate we got the greenhouse of a C1, but not the styling. IMO, good! The C1 is looking mighty dated (which I can not say about the Mazda 3 or even the S40). Having said that, I'm still on the fence with the 08 US Focus....that huge chrome vent has got to go. Why it's so small on the Taurus but so huge on the Focus beats the hell out of me. Everything else about that car is OK (considering everything in this class is fugly).

As far as an image, well I think the Focus fell off of most consumer's radar........which IMO gives Ford the chance to reinvent the image tarting it up to be something sporty and hip.

Facts hurt?

Yes, the C1 Focus looks "mighty dated" to you, and yet you talk about the Ford Sebring like it is a looker. Ooookey

Fact of the matter is this was a platform issue. Everyone said it would be too expensive yadda yadda...

Then Ford releases this crap AT THE SAME PRICE, and suddenly, such pricing is "fine" with everyone who bitched before?

Just pointing out how pathetic this looks in context. What a bunch of hypocrites.

Trust me, side by side, only you and your ilk would think "they've the same profile" and that it was a "good" compromise. I don't have the exact meassures at hand, but side by side, the old Focus profile looks significantly taller and dorkier.

What about legroom? What about trunk space? What about visibility? Handling? Who got the short end of the stick for nothing? Look at that pic again and imagine an S40 next to it. The C1 Focus is longer and taller, yet the visual proportions are about the same, it looks SLEEK and SPORTY. I'm willing to bet no one in their right mind will say the FuckUs "has a similar profile and stance as the S40".

1BIG.jpg

2008_Focus.jpg

I've an appointment today so don't worry, I never had any intentions to argue about this. The results were clear long before these prices were known. This just sealed the deal. Continue deluding yourself for the rest of the day if you want.

Even Mark Fields was disgusted by this, he was wise to make SYNC available for it.

Edited by pcsario

Facts hurt?

Yes, the C1 Focus looks "mighty dated" to you, and yet you talk about the Ford Sebring like it is a looker. Ooookey

Fact of the matter is this was a platform issue. Everyone said it would be too expensive yadda yadda...

Then Ford releases this crap AT THE SAME PRICE, and suddenly, such pricing is "fine" with you.

Just pointing out how pathetic this looks in context. What a bunch of hypocrites.

Trust me, side by side, only you and your ilk would think "they've the same profile". What about legroom? What about trunk space? What about visibility? Handling? Who got the short end of the stick for nothing? Look at that pic again and imagine an S40 next to it. The C1 Focus is longer and taller, yet the visual proportions are about the same, it looks SLEEK and SPORTY. I'm willing to bet no one in their right mind will say the FuckUs "has a similar profile to the S40" like the C1 Focus does.

LMAO!

Can you read? Where did I praise the design of the US Focus? Where did I go on and on about how it is such a looker? Don't waste your time because I didn't, obviously reading comprehension and you don't go together.

Oh and believe me you a design that dates back to the MKIII Mondeo, introduced in 2000, that is pretty much 8 years old is starting to show its age. The car is bland in lower trim levels and would probably be equally ignored stateside when compar'd to everything else out there.

Also, where did you get this BS about the pricing being fine with me? Again learn how to read.

I know nothing of overall interior dimensions so that's up in the air, but handling? How do you know? Have you performed an instrumented test?

If Mark Fields was so disgusted then he should have started by dumping that stupid looking lower air dam and that tacky ass side vent.

Edited by Michael Reynolds

Base Saturn Astra will start at: $15,990 - upmarket XR will start at $17,545

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53557

Yah and people will actually pay that price. You are not going to see discounts on the hood of that product-made in germany, etc. I think Ford would like to price the product lower but how do you do that when in two years you have another product coming in underneath it?

It is a bit overpriced and will more than likely be launched with a rebate-where I don't think honda has much if any money on the civic and certainly not on the Fit-corolla is long and getting updated very soon-but again Ford needs the epa numbers-fact of life.

Yah and people will actually pay that price.

How do you know that?

Sure it's made in Germany, but you won't impress anyone with the badge on the hood, likely the Focus and Mazda3 will continue to outperform it in the twisties, and the Focus, Civic, and Corolla will all carry better reliability ratings from Consumer Reports.

I mean for its point of origin to matter, it needs to be visibly and unmistakably German. I don't see that happening.

Sorry, too high for me, my 99 Cougar stickered for less than $18k with a V6 5-speed and was a lot nicer vehicle than the current Focus will ever be. I realize this is a 2008 model, but come on...

Your Cougar would cost about $22,000 today, with inflation factored in. That $6,000 difference between that and the Focus SES will buy me a nice turbo that'll put the Cougar back on the trailer.