Lincoln needs to regard safety as a top priority

I realize that many buyers don't think safety is such a big deal in cars, and count on luck and the "It won't happen to me" mentality.

But I think as more Americans, especially families, begin to give considerable weight to safety in addition to mpg, power, & looks, Ford vehicles should establish itself as a safety leader. Not as a safety catcher-upper.

The new Taurus, Edge/MKX & the Volvo's look to be a superb starting point.

Sadly, the MKZ didn't do so well in IIHS tests. As someone looking for a minivan replacement for a growing family, the MKZ was a possibility for me (in addition to the Taurus & Flex) but after seeing the poor results of the MKZ, I can no longer consider it for me and my family. C'mon Lincoln, don't cheez out over some stronger steel!

l_3fb40f63a66f59bf4ebfca60ff27e397.jpg

Edited by joihan777

Yeah, the photos are almost identical, which is to be expected. The cars are almost identical.

Thing is, the doors don't fly off the car when it's hit, and they do provide substantial protection in the event of a side impact.

There is, appearently, some different trim pieces on the MKX door (that were changed on the other 2) that give it a slightly lower rating. I imagine this will be fixed in the refresh.

MKZ & Fusion have the same 'A' rating--with all protections classed as 'G'.

Bear in mind that 3200lb car is getting hit about 18" off the ground by a 'bumper' attached to a 3300lb 'vehicle' moving at 31mph. The results ain't gonna be pretty no matter what.

It kills me how they say a Civic or Corolla are "safe" vehicles. If you are trolling through busy intersection and an F-350 T-bones you at 50mph, you are dead in about five-tenths of a second no matter how many air bags you have. If you truly want to be safer, buy yourself a heavy duty truck that sits up high. Look at August vehicle sales....trucks still sell well and they are out there and many drive them aggressively while talking and doing text messaging on cell phone. If we are PUSHED into smaller and smaller vehicles, fatalities and serious injuries are going to go way up. Safey Institutes need to show Americans how small cars kill people. Congress doesn't seem to care, so someone needs to show the dangers of small cars. Parents put their teenagers into small cars and over 6,000 teenagers die every year in traffic crashes, and thousands upon thousands are injured seriously. Since the Iraq war has started, over 25,000 teenagers have been killed in traffic crashes and hundreds of thousands with serious injury. Trouble is, no one mourns these teenagers other than their loved ones. Society doesn't care. Just a statistic unless it's you in hospital with lacerated liver and other internal injuries. No one thinks of cars as dangerous, and everyone is fearless until they end up in hospital on ventilator.

There is, appearently, some different trim pieces on the MKX door (that were changed on the other 2) that give it a slightly lower rating. I imagine this will be fixed in the refresh.

Do you mean MKZ?

I hope that pans out, I like the Ford products and they are at the top of my list, but I'd much rather have a Lincoln if I could afford it.

Whereas I see Mercury as a re-badge with some upgrades, I perceive Lincoln as a mightily upgraded Ford.

Which is alltogether just fine in my book! (So long as Lincoln/Ford get on top of the safety category!)

Edited by joihan777

MKZ & Fusion have the same 'A' rating--with all protections classed as 'G'.

I think he was looking at The Lincoln MKZ 'newer models' side impact test, where there is a single P, for Driver Pelvis/leg.

That ain't perfect but with all those G's --it looks good enough that it wouldn't be scratched off my shopping list. Especially if your family's safety is your primary concern, with the kids in the back, they look safe enough to me.

I look more closely at head protection (nothing's more important than your brain!), on which it scored the top score -- Good -- for both driver and rear passenger.

Lincoln needs to regard safety as a top priority

wtf.gif

Well, since Lincoln IS the Town Car, and the Panther platform is on the record as tying the alleged "Safest Car in America" the all "new" Taurus for total stars according the NHTSA findings, I'm going to rule that they've got safety covered. :stats:

14_6_11.gif

Edited by Armada Master

wtf.gif

Well, since Lincoln IS the Town Car, and the Panther platform is on the record as tying the alleged "Safest Car in America" the all "new" Taurus for total stars according the NHTSA findings, I'm going to rule that they've got safety covered. :stats:

14_6_11.gif

Lincoln IS the Town Car???

The only Lincoln model that sold worse in August was the dead-on-arrival Mark LT. Lincoln has moved on. Panther fans should too.

I realize that many buyers don't think safety is such a big deal in cars, and count on luck and the "It won't happen to me" mentality.

But I think as more Americans, especially families, begin to give considerable weight to a car in addition to mpg, power, & looks, Ford vehicles should establish itself as a safety leader. Not as a safety catcher-upper.

The new Taurus, Edge, MKX & Volvo's look to be a superb starting point.

Sadly, the MKZ didn't do so well in IIHS tests. As someone looking for a minivan replacement for a growing family, the MKZ was a possibility for me (in addition to the Taurus & Flex) but after seeing the poor results of the MKZ, I can no longer consider it for me and my family. C'mon Lincoln, don't cheez out over some stronger steel!

l_3fb40f63a66f59bf4ebfca60ff27e397.jpg

Lincoln needs to become a bit more safety conscious, like this safety superstar.......

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpr...8/fiat_500.html

wtf.gif

14_6_11.gif

The Panthers didn't do as hot in the IIHS side impact,

2003-07 - http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=657

2007 w/side bags -- http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=708

Structure is still poor on both.

personally i think this whole saftey thing has gotten outa control and WAAAAY over the top....if people were better trained drivers half of this wouldn't be deemed necessary...the insurance companies have been preying on these imposed fears for years....I haven't seen ANY drops in insurance rates at all.....

The body took the damage, the frame didn't if you look at the pics you clearly see how the body was lifted and crushed above the frame. I'm sure it's another reason why Ford won't do much with this platform, really, Unibody would address this specific issue unless Ford somehow ties in the frame onto the "B" pillar in a stronger way and they aren't really going to bother with that.

Ford has the resources to introduce more safety related items onto Lincoln vehicles. They have access to Volvo which can easily integrate BLIS, and intelligent cruise control with panic braking, etc.etc. I dont believe many will cross shop Volov and Lincoln so I'm not worried about that angle, but safety toys shouldn't be exclusive to Volvo either....

The body took the damage, the frame didn't if you look at the pics you clearly see how the body was lifted and crushed above the frame. I'm sure it's another reason why Ford won't do much with this platform, really, Unibody would address this specific issue unless Ford somehow ties in the frame onto the "B" pillar in a stronger way and they aren't really going to bother with that.

Ford has the resources to introduce more safety related items onto Lincoln vehicles. They have access to Volvo which can easily integrate BLIS, and intelligent cruise control with panic braking, etc.etc. I dont believe many will cross shop Volov and Lincoln so I'm not worried about that angle, but safety toys shouldn't be exclusive to Volvo either....

correct me if I am wrong but this chassis was Mazda based no?