Thunderbird still a live trademark for Ford

...but you'll never guess what for...

______

Remember how Ford wanted to name the Fusion the Futura and got rebuked from the Pep Boys?

I somehow ended up on the U.S. Trademark Office website (I have my reasons), and it looks like Thunderbird is still active... but for food items???

Link: http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=doc&...e=1ukhfc.2.1109

Word Mark THUNDERBIRD

Goods and Services IC 021. US 002 013 023 029 030 033 040 050. G & S: housewares and glass, namely, [commemorative plates,] beverage glassware, mugs, [steins, bottle openers, glass canisters, vacuum bottles, insulated containers for food or beverage, portable coolers,] thermal cups, [can wraps, coasters not made of paper and not being table linens, trivets, serving trays not made of precious metal, squeeze bottles, corkscrews, brushes with ice scrapers, ornament replicas of vehicles in glass, crystal and ceramic]. FIRST USE: 19940501. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19940501

Mark Drawing Code (1) TYPED DRAWING

Serial Number 75658596

Filing Date March 11, 1999

Current Filing Basis 1A

Original Filing Basis 1A

Published for Opposition November 23, 1999

Registration Number 2319453

Registration Date February 15, 2000

Owner (REGISTRANT) FORD MOTOR COMPANY CORPORATION DELAWARE One American Road Dearborn MICHIGAN 48126

Attorney of Record Elizabeth F. Janda

Prior Registrations 1836945;1863745;1893911;1906315;AND OTHERS

Type of Mark TRADEMARK

Register PRINCIPAL

Affidavit Text SECT 15. SECT 8 (6-YR).

Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

Edited by Roadrunner

Isn't "Thunderbird" the name of a wine? :headscratch:

Trademarks are originally set up in order to protect the consumer so that they know where the product is coming from, therefore the test of trademark infringement is whether there is a likelihood of confusion for the consumer. (Competitors are simply the ones who enforce the law that is meant to protect consumers.)

Pep Boys had a tire named Futura. Tires are car products and thus there was a likelihood of confusion that a car and the tire would be considered to be from the same source.

Wine and other unrelated products are less likely to confuse the customer.

That being said, there are trademark dilution laws which ignore the original purpose of protecting consumers and focus on whether a famous mark is being tarnished by an unrelated product unlikely to cause confusion. For example, Kodak could go after someone trying to sell Kodak Bicycles under such a law. Still, I think the bar is a bit higher than for regular trademark confusion brought under a likelihood of confusion standard.

They have multiple entries for the Thunderbird for various products. I found some for belt buckles and cigarette lighters. Here's the one they maintain for automobiles:

Word Mark THUNDERBIRD

Goods and Services IC 012. US 019. G & S: AUTOMOBILES. FIRST USE: 19540220. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19540220

Mark Drawing Code (5) WORDS, LETTERS, AND/OR NUMBERS IN STYLIZED FORM

Serial Number 71690079

Filing Date June 23, 1955

Current Filing Basis 1A

Original Filing Basis 1A

Registration Number 0618942

Registration Date January 10, 1956

Owner (REGISTRANT) FORD MOTOR COMPANY CORPORATION DELAWARE ONE AMERICAN ROAD DEARBORN MICHIGAN 48126

Attorney of Record ELIZABETH JANDA

Type of Mark TRADEMARK

Register PRINCIPAL

Affidavit Text SECT 15. SECTION 8(10-YR) 20060327.

Renewal 3RD RENEWAL 20060327

Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

There are many different classes for hundreds of items for trademarks to be granted at the USPTO. If Ford thinks they may want to someday use the mark in any of those classes then they have to register in each one and not let it lapse (i/e GT40). There is no such thing as a broad trademark to cover every item imaginable.

A most recent example is the new Mustang cologne for men. Which half of us on these boards will probably get for Christmas this year :doh:

Clicky Here

Edited by 96 Pony

• 4 weeks later...
What kind of vehicle could Ford possibly stick 'Maverick' on these days? Another SUV/CUV? I'm telling ya...they need to revive the 'Bronco' name for a Wrangler competitor. That's with a two and four-door model. Ford could do very well with it I believe.

I believe the Escape is sold as a Maverick in some overseas markets.

Maverick....Falcon......Fairlane.....Galaxie.....Futura.....Torino.....all names from a bygone era that todays shoppers do not recognize in todays market place. Maverick would make a decent name on a small CUV under the size of the Escape. But seriously, lets look forward and come up with some new names for Ford. Seeing as the "F" naming scheme is over lets go for something new and exciting.

• 1 month later...

Ford keeps the Thunderbird name and many others protected so that other companies can't steal them and use them.

Ford already said that the Thunderbird name is very much alive, and may be put back into use some time in the future should they decide to produce another model, so that is one good reason to keep it protected.

As for the Territory, that is the name of a current Ford model that is sold in Australia.

• 2 months later...
GM still owns the 'Oldsmobile' name, for example.

But as a trademark, GM would need to still "trade" an automotive product under the name Oldsmobile. After just 3 years of no "trade", the trademark protection disappears.

I think today, any replacement parts for an Oldsmobile are sold under the trademark of "GM".

But as a trademark, GM would need to still "trade" an automotive product under the name Oldsmobile. After just 3 years of no "trade", the trademark protection disappears.

I think today, any replacement parts for an Oldsmobile are sold under the trademark of "GM".

GM still licensed the Oldsmobile name to plenty of retailers though. Any die cast models, wall plaques, keychains, etc using the Oldsmobile name or logo would be enough to keep it alive.

As for the name for a RWD sedan in North America....Falcon or Maverick would work for me.

If Mercury was still in the mix, it would be kinda cool to see a Maverick and Marauder next to one another. Could be some interesting cross-brand marketing opportunities there with the double M names -- perhaps a linkup with the guys from Mars Candy. ;)