Chevy Malibu Ad

Hugh

I just saw a tv ad for the new Malibu. There were guys robbing a bank and the get away car was a Malibu. The police pull up and enter the bank ignoring the thieves. The thieves drive away and the line is "Soon, it'll be a car you can't ignore."

I got to give them kudos for that. Great ad.

I just saw a tv ad for the new Malibu. There were guys robbing a bank and the get away car was a Malibu. The police pull up and enter the bank ignoring the thieves. The thieves drive away and the line is "Soon, it'll be a car you can't ignore."

I saw that, it was a good ad. Too bad they named the car "Malibu". Possibly the most girly name since the Mercury Mystique. The attempted highest volume car for a brand shouldn't have such a girly name.

I've seen a couple different commercials for the new Malibu, the one I've been seeing the most is the girl going out jogging and she runs right into a old Malibu or the Olds version of it

Too bad they named the car "Malibu". Possibly the most girly name since the Mercury Mystique. The attempted highest volume car for a brand shouldn't have such a girly name.

The Malibu name plate has been around for decades...think California, not a feminine product

i have to say that I've seen the Malibu and Rouge advertised alot more then the Taurus so far...

I've seen that ad too. I thought it was funny that they say 'soon, there'll be a car you can't ignore' (meaning the Malibu), yet the car that is being ignored is a Malibu. :hysterical:

I liked the ad though.

I saw that, it was a good ad. Too bad they named the car "Malibu". Possibly the most girly name since the Mercury Mystique. The attempted highest volume car for a brand shouldn't have such a girly name.

You know it's going to be funny if Chevy starts outselling the Fusion with Malibu's. Will you come back here and say that the Fusion got it's ass kicked by a girl? lol

Personally I think this new Malibu is a pretty good improvement over the previous version. The interior is really nice in my opinion. Unlike Ford, they went ahead and introduced it with a hybrid model, although to be honest it's mpg numbers aren't all that impressive. But overall I like the body style and the interior is nice, I think it will do well for them.

EXCEPT FOR ONE THING!!!

And this is the mistake that domestic car companies always make and they can't seem to get their head out of their ass about it.

This is the Malbu LTZ

gm_08malibu_ltz.jpg

A 27,000 car base. Not that it's wrong to charge that much for the high end version of this car, but take a look at those rims. Those are actually pretty decent looking rims. As opposed to the boring ass, plain jane, lame ass 5 spoke rims that the rest of the line gets. It's like they go out of their way to remind you "You got the less expensive version and we are going to remind you and everyone else of that by putting these lame ass wheels on the car." The truth is they could just as easily put the nice rims on the car across the line and it wouldn't cost them dick. This is something that companies like Mazda and Toyota have already figured out.

Personally I think this new Malibu is a pretty good improvement over the previous version. The interior is really nice in my opinion. Unlike Ford, they went ahead and introduced it with a hybrid model, although to be honest it's mpg numbers aren't all that impressive. But overall I like the body style and the interior is nice, I think it will do well for them.

EXCEPT FOR ONE THING!!!

And this is the mistake that domestic car companies always make and they can't seem to get their head out of their ass about it.

This is the Malbu LTZ

gm_08malibu_ltz.jpg

A 27,000 car base. Not that it's wrong to charge that much for the high end version of this car, but take a look at those rims. Those are actually pretty decent looking rims. As opposed to the boring ass, plain jane, lame ass 5 spoke rims that the rest of the line gets. It's like they go out of their way to remind you "You got the less expensive version and we are going to remind you and everyone else of that by putting these lame ass wheels on the car." The truth is they could just as easily put the nice rims on the car across the line and it wouldn't cost them dick. This is something that companies like Mazda and Toyota have already figured out.

Anything was an improvement over the late Malibu (at least design-wise)

Toyota? Didn't somebody post something a few days ago saying somebody they knew had a 27k (or somewhere thereabout) Camry w/ hubcaps?

Anything was an improvement over the late Malibu (at least design-wise)

Toyota? Didn't somebody post something a few days ago saying somebody they knew had a 27k (or somewhere thereabout) Camry w/ hubcaps?

Don't ever put any stock in those car stories that always start with "I knew some guy that" or "A friend of mine had". Nine times out of ten it's bullshit. Go down to your local Toyota lot and see if you can find a 27K Camry with hubcaps on it first.

16-in. 8-spoke alloy wheels with P215/60R16 tires

Standard on the Camry XLE. The only way you could get hubcaps on a 27 grand Camry is to go out of your way to purposely have them put on.

Edited by BlackHorse

I still think the new Malibu should have been called the Impala. I know they already have an Impala but they could have just put Caprice on that and called it good. The fleets won't care if it is called Impala or Caprice.

Wasn't "Malibu" a term originally applied to a trim line of the Chevelle?

Like the "500" in Galaxie 500?

Good commercials, I chuckled. My wife rolled her eyes.

The car in the commercial is an Olds Cutlass. Splitting hairs because its the same car as the Malibu from back then, but the grille in the commercial was the definitely the Olds model.

oldsmobile_cutlas.jpg

Here's the commericals BTW:

http://jalopnik.com/cars/ad-watch/2008-che...cars-312145.php

http://jalopnik.com/cars/ad-watch/2008-che...bank-312164.php

You know it's going to be funny if Chevy starts outselling the Fusion with Malibu's. Will you come back here and say that the Fusion got it's ass kicked by a girl? lol

I'm sure the Malibu will outsell the Fusion. Fleets will snap it up, plus higher discounts on it, plus Chevy dealers can just push these things out. If they could sell the last 2 gens of them, they can sell this one.

Yeah those commercials are hillarious, too bad Ford can't think of anything clever like that. All we get is an Edge driving on the side of a building or a father handing his son the keys to a Taurus :banghead:

Anyhow, I especially like the commercial where the chick runs into the car. I caught one the other day during football, where they cut back to her getting up and running into again. Classic...

Yeah those commercials are hillarious, too bad Ford can't think of anything clever like that. All we get is an Edge driving on the side of a building or a father handing his son the keys to a Taurus :banghead:

Anyhow, I especially like the commercial where the chick runs into the car. I caught one the other day during football, where they cut back to her getting up and running into again. Classic...

Ford's SYNC ads are similar actually.

EXCEPT FOR ONE THING!!!

What about the opposite side of the coin? People who are buying an up-fitted model of a car want people to know it's an up-fitted model of a car. When you put the same wheels from the high end trim line on the low end trim line you take away something that gives the high end trim line more value.

Personally, I'm somewhat annoyed that the 17" wheels on my Mazda6s are the same ones that you can get on a base 4 cylinder Mazda6i.

Don't ever put any stock in those car stories that always start with "I knew some guy that" or "A friend of mine had". Nine times out of ten it's bullshit. Go down to your local Toyota lot and see if you can find a 27K Camry with hubcaps on it first.

Standard on the Camry XLE. The only way you could get hubcaps on a 27 grand Camry is to go out of your way to purposely have them put on.

sorry, read this earlier... it was a camry priced at!???

had 16 inch wheels with hubcaps.. i just looked! lololol...

What about the opposite side of the coin? People who are buying an up-fitted model of a car want people to know it's an up-fitted model of a car. When you put the same wheels from the high end trim line on the low end trim line you take away something that gives the high end trim line more value.

Personally, I'm somewhat annoyed that the 17" wheels on my Mazda6s are the same ones that you can get on a base 4 cylinder Mazda6i.

Your wheels are not worse because someone else has them and spent less overall. The majority of sales are the 6i version, just like most Camrys are I4, most Accords are I4, etc. You have an overall better vehicle. If sharing something like wheels makes more people buy the lower end version, they are subsidizing your purchase. A 6s 5spd would not be possible without the 6i auto buyers.

I think good wheels can make or break a car. It's kind of a subconscious thing in my opinion. Stripper 6i's look a ton better with the 17inch wheels and not the hubcaps.

Also, to extend your logic, should people that buy a Mazdaspeed6 be pissed that they share the same taillights or spoiler as your car? At what point do you make a feature exclusive? What about the person that payed more for a 6i (fully optioned) than someone with a 6s with just upgraded wheels? Your logic is terrible and it's pathetic to feel insecure and threatened because someone else has something (but not everything) you do and may have paid less. This is akin to the people that would rather make $100,000 a year and be known as the highest paid person in their division than make $150,000 and not be the highest earner.

I'm kind of annoyed that you see a 6 and get pissy over the wheels the guy has rather than think he made a smart choice not to buy a Camry or Passat or something.

Malibu is a girly name ???

I would say it's a neutral name that was hijacked by girly television shows about Laguna Beach, Malibu, Sweet Sixteen garbage.

I still think the new Malibu should have been called the Impala. I know they already have an Impala but they could have just put Caprice on that and called it good. The fleets won't care if it is called Impala or Caprice.

The new big Impala does look like a nice Caprice.

// Preparing to be yelled at by the RWD Mafia

I've seen that ad too. I thought it was funny that they say 'soon, there'll be a car you can't ignore' (meaning the Malibu), yet the car that is being ignored is a Malibu. :hysterical:

I liked the ad though.

I was at my mum and dad's last night and they ran that ad -- they passed it off as stupid.

Why?

It doesn't tell you about the car, it doesn't show you anything. It's just a stupid image ad featuring an unlikely scenario. (This dumb jogger keeps running into the car like it's not there -- it's a car, can't miss it, what's up with that?)