Why no H.I.D. available?

twmalonehunter

I love the Edge and will probably be ordering one late this year or early next, but I would really like my next vehicle to have H.I.D. headlights. I have owned a couple of vehicles with them, and they make a big difference to me. My question is, do you think this will become an option down the road, as maybe a 2008 Job 2 or a 2009? It's probably not a deal breaker for me, but I would be willing to wait a while if I thought they were coming.

BTW, I like the direction the options are going, i.e. power liftgate, sync., 20" wheels, etc. I just think the H.I.D. is a glaring omission IMO.

because of price and Ford's stupidity - high end features have historically been reserved for Mercury models ... but there is no Mercury model and even the MKS does not have them (but that is a different story).

I am hopeful the facelift for 2010 model - that will debut next year - will have them .. we shall see

Igor

• 2 weeks later...
It does seem stupid, I would think with how common they have become and the advancements in technology, they would be very cheap and easy to add, and plenty of people like me would pay an extra $400-$500 to have them. That's leaving money on the table.

Didn't the 1st gen Focus have a HID option at one point?

Yes, on the SVT's with the Euro package, and I think the Mach SE had them too. It's ridiculous that 5-6 years later you can't even get them on Lincoln's. But then, Lincoln's aren't true luxury cars either.

Hi Blueblood. :D HID Headlamps are available on the Lincoln MKZ, Lincoln Navigator and the Lincoln Town Car. Currently not available on the MKX and Mark LT.

Good luck. :beerchug:

It does seem stupid, I would think with how common they have become and the advancements in technology, they would be very cheap and easy to add, and plenty of people like me would pay an extra $400-$500 to have them. That's leaving money on the table.

the housing needs to be designed to accept the projector .. the Edge reflector housing has no such provision .. look at the Rav4 for example .. the round reflectors are projectors (with HID optional) in Europe ... or compare the Jetta/Rabbit headlamps and GLI/GTI headlamps - once again VW just drops in the projectors, because the housings were designed to allow it.

Ford did not plan for that with Edge, but did with the Flex.

Igor

Edited by igor

Yes, on the SVT's with the Euro package, and I think the Mach SE had them too. It's ridiculous that 5-6 years later you can't even get them on Lincoln's. But then, Lincoln's aren't true luxury cars either.

I thought so. It stands to reason that if a compact, cheap little car can have HIDs, a $35,00-$40,00 SUV that has a Lincoln badge on it should have nothing else but HIDs.

• 3 weeks later...

I just ordered a 2008 Mustang GT with HID's for my wife. She likes them on her Montego, and wanted them on her Mustang also. In order to get them, I also had to accept the anti theft option. So....the HID's wound up being a $800+ option on the Mustang....adding up both packages. But my wife wanted them so....well you know.

Edited by Ralph Greene

I thought so. It stands to reason that if a compact, cheap little car can have HIDs, a $35,00-$40,00 SUV that has a Lincoln badge on it should have nothing else but HIDs.

But also the Euro Focus has HID which makes the job of fitting them into the US spec one a no brainer..

because of price and Ford's stupidity - high end features have historically been reserved for Mercury models ... but there is no Mercury model and even the MKS does not have them (but that is a different story).

I am hopeful the facelift for 2010 model - that will debut next year - will have them .. we shall see

Igor

Did you mean the MKX? The MKS will/does have HID headlights, along w/ LED taillights.

It sucks a bit that you don't get plastic buckets with hella HID units in them, but unlike the cheap compact import SUV's you do get something they severely lack - STEEL. I wonder if RAV buyers would swap the HID option if they offered an actual rear bumper as an option(the rear crash protection still has a psudo-plastic bumper on the tailgate and the first metal you hit is still the rear floor pan).

Edited by kevinb120

"...But also the Euro Focus has HID which makes the job of fitting them into the US spec one a no brainer.. .."

1. I was in Gemany last week and saw that European focus is quite different than ours in shape etc. It has HID and pressure headlights washing system as well.

"...HID Headlamps are available on the Lincoln MKZ, Lincoln Navigator and the Lincoln Town Car. Currently not available on the MKX and Mark LT.."

2. how it possible that MKX doesnt have HID. I read catalogue and it says adaptive HID headlights....Did I miss something????

For instance if you own rav or crv, you can just simple swap north american halogen headlights into european projectors (HID as an option as well). I did it with my rav4, but used only japanese halogen HID twin headlights using d2r lamps.

"...HID Headlamps are available on the Lincoln MKZ, Lincoln Navigator and the Lincoln Town Car. Currently not available on the MKX and Mark LT.."

2. how it possible that MKX doesnt have HID. I read catalogue and it says adaptive HID headlights....Did I miss something????

Hi semco. :D You might want to check that catalog again. Yes, the MKX has "Adaptive Headlights". However, they are not HID, they are "Quad Halogen".

Check the specs at LINK-Lincoln Vehicles.

Good luck! :beerchug:

• 2 weeks later...
But the MKS does have adaptive HIDs so I expect we'll see them on the MKX and MKZ next year or year after at the latest.

I would certainly hope so.

The MKS combines the MKZ and MKX's abilities (MKZ's HID headlights + MKX's adaptive headlights = MKS' adapative HID headlights)

I'm not sure why Lincoln didnt have this figured out already, given the fact that everybody else has had these for a while, but I guess it's better late than never.