2009 Lincoln MKS Unleashed

suv_guy_19

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So basically what your saying is "you have been "projecting" your own opinion "about a car that they haven't even seen the paint sparkle on", on everyone else, all day." :hysterical:

You failed to indicate how taking the published MSRP and size information (hardcore facts) and putting them to logical use is similar to your assertion of who this vehicle is going to appeal to (information that wouldn't be obtained until the car went on sale).

Now do you see what I'm getting at? Quoting me in bold and throwing a silly smiley face after it, does nothing to further a silly argument.

I completely perused the website to see what this car is all about. The website is quite well done.

I do like the leather seating inside, but I have to admit I'm not the market for this kind of car. There was not a single option offered that I would be interested in having on my vehicle, and I much prefer rear wheel drive in a larger sedan. Too much fluff for my tastes.

An issue could be a Sable with every option comes in at around $33,000 - I guess for $5,000 more you get better styling and interior. I still prefer the old LS-v8 that my brother drives in that price range.

Just a note - I was at a local Ford dealer that is open until midnight trying to track down 2 simple bolts for my brake caliper that was missing when I wanted to replace my brake pads earlier this week (I bought this car CPO, so apparently the Dealer Tech must have lost the bolts when they replaced the brake pads as part of that process and never bothered to order new ones). Trying to order a part on a car Ford has been building unchanged for a decade was an ordeal - ordered the wrong parts, then one of the two was "on backorder", etc. I'd hate to see them try to order parts on a new vehicle that hasn't sold in the millions over the last decade.

Love the twin piston four wheel discs on the Panther - the rotors are still smooth as silk stopping.

Have we all gone nuts? Why are we comparing this car to BMW, MB, & Lexus?

As stated here, most folks, (90%) who buy those cars buy them for image. The remainder are car nuts who actually drive them like they're meant to be driven.

The first group will NEVER by a Lincoln no matter how good it is, the second group will not be cross shopping this car with those RWD sport sedans.

This car is aimed directly at the Panther & Buick buyer. And it'll do well in that market. It may also see some conquest sales from current Chryco 300 and maybe Acura owners.

Overall it should hit it's 40K/yr target.

I completely perused the website to see what this car is all about. The website is quite well done.

I do like the leather seating inside, but I have to admit I'm not the market for this kind of car. There was not a single option offered that I would be interested in having on my vehicle, and I much prefer rear wheel drive in a larger sedan. Too much fluff for my tastes.

An issue could be a Sable with every option comes in at around $33,000 - I guess for $5,000 more you get better styling and interior. I still prefer the old LS-v8 that my brother drives in that price range.

Just a note - I was at a local Ford dealer that is open until midnight trying to track down 2 simple bolts for my brake caliper that was missing when I wanted to replace my brake pads earlier this week (I bought this car CPO, so apparently the Dealer Tech must have lost the bolts when they replaced the brake pads as part of that process and never bothered to order new ones). Trying to order a part on a car Ford has been building unchanged for a decade was an ordeal - ordered the wrong parts, then one of the two was "on backorder", etc. I'd hate to see them try to order parts on a new vehicle that hasn't sold in the millions over the last decade.

Love the twin piston four wheel discs on the Panther - the rotors are still smooth as silk stopping.

I perceive this car to have a very robust and clean chassis reletive to most over-engineered vehicles of this kind. That's the positive side effect of keeping cost down, they engineer for elegant simplicity (which also extends to the drive train). Everything else are just features.

I rotate through cars relatively frequently so a car must evolve over time and offer all of the latest and greatest features if I'm to remain interested. I definitely don't keep anything long enough to service them, I certainly wouldn't keep a Lincoln for as long as I once owned a Taurus. In fact, if I were to buy a car for long term, it would be a Taurus with a cloth interior.

Edited by BORG

Have we all gone nuts? Why are we comparing this car to BMW, MB, & Lexus?

As stated here, most folks, (90%) who buy those cars buy them for image. The remainder are car nuts who actually drive them like they're meant to be driven.

The first group will NEVER by a Lincoln no matter how good it is, the second group will not be cross shopping this car with those RWD sport sedans.

This car is aimed directly at the Panther & Buick buyer. And it'll do well in that market. It may also see some conquest sales from current Chryco 300 and maybe Acura owners.

Overall it should hit it's 40K/yr target.

You forgot to mention Caddy buyers, the only car that's worth going to their dirty dealers for is the CTS, and it's wayyy overpriced.

You forgot to mention Caddy buyers, the only car that's worth going to their dirty dealers for is the CTS, and it's wayyy overpriced.

There's no way you can put down the CTS, it's a modern engineering marvel by Detroit standards and I think it's hands down the best looking car to come out of Detroit this decade. People buying the CTS get quite a bit of bang for their buck but it's still beyond my reach and I'm not sure I would have been any happier in a CTS than an MKX at the same price point (The CTS would have had less features and capabilities but better overall refinement and performance)

The MKS is not an engineering marvel, but it's a packaging and marketing home run IMO. Most importantly, it's a return to a genuine Lincoln flagship with modern features no Ford has had until now.

Edited by BORG

See the beauty of mankind's inbuilt facility for language is that we have the ability to assign meanings to arbitrary mouth noises. Communication is possible because we have a general consensus on the meanings of words, even if these words do not mean exactly the same thing to every individual.

Obviously, there is no more a narrowly drawn definition of luxury than there is of, oh, say performance. Still, when one looks at a BMW 3-Series that does not have wood or leather as standard appointments, it is not difficult to tell if an emphasis is being placed on luxury or performance.

Based on defining traits such as materials, NVH, and space, the MKS will be very hard to beat.

So, basically they MKS will be"very hard to beat" by your definition "defining traits" of luxury and is the perfect "luxury" car for you?

You failed to indicate how taking the published MSRP and size information (hardcore facts) and putting them to logical use is similar to your assertion of who this vehicle is going to appeal to (information that wouldn't be obtained until the car went on sale).

Now do you see what I'm getting at? Quoting me in bold and throwing a silly smiley face after it, does nothing to further a silly argument.

It doesn't matter how you came to your opinion, its still your opinion. You're entitled to it but you're still "projecting" your own opinion "about a car that they haven't even seen the paint sparkle on", on everyone else. Or, have you attended the L.A. autoshow, seen concrete sales figues, or third party independent comparisons? :finger:

Yes, Folks looking to trade out of thier 10yr old FWD Caddys are definatly on the list.

Current Caddy buyers don't seem fall into the same break down as the others, noted. Caddy still doesn't have the image the first group demands. The second group may give Caddy a look, but I think it's more of an upscale Muscle car type, (if such a thing exists) that buys the Caddy Hi-Po cars. This Lincoln may not appeal to them.

It doesn't matter how you came to your opinion, its still your opinion. You're entitled to it but you're still "projecting" your own opinion "about a car that they haven't even seen the paint sparkle on", on everyone else. Or, have you attended the L.A. autoshow, seen concrete sales figues, or third party independent comparisons? :finger:

Amusing.

How am I projecting my own opinion when I state that an MKS is going to lay smack dab in the middle of the territory of a 528i and M35, especially when we have pricing available that proves that? Ditto that with HP?

It's not like I pulled some random guess out of nowhere about how it won't compete with various German and Japanese cars.

And if I were at LA, you would have seen pictures by now. I won't be able to make it to that show until next week. What sales figures are you talking about, and why would they have those at an auto show for a recently introduced vehicle. I mentioned nothing about sales. However, I did mention something about pricing and other vehicles that fall within that pricing range.

Edited by Michael Reynolds

Nice car but....

I think this car is anything but a breakthrough that Lincoln needs. Ford should be commended that this car, unlike the MKX, Mark LT, and Navigator- is something other than a trim level of a Ford vehichle.

With that being said, I think the car looks too much like a Buick LaCrosse from the side- which is not necessarily a bad thing. The front is this car's best feature, but the back looks like a Saturn Aura- again not neccessarily a bad thing, but if you are asking for $10K more than an Aura or LaCrosse, I expect it to look unique. This design is certainly a lot more appealing than others we have seen from Ford in recent years. I think that Ford did a better job of designing the massive greenhouse of this platform, but overall, the car looks too tall compared to its length.

I think the interior is too simple in terms of design. The dashboard looks too plain in comparison to the busier design of the exterior and seats.

I think that one thing we are forgetting here is that most luxury car buyers prefer rear-wheel-drive and V-8 engines. GM is moving its DTS and Lucerne to RWD, and Chrysler moved to RWD with the 300. For the most part, I think the LS was more innovative for its time than this car is. I think that this car is an excellent replacement for the Continental, but as far as a flagship is concerned, Ford needs to go one step further.

Absolutely not. It does not have a V8, RWD, or the right gauges.

It also doesn't have a 30 year old body-on-frame platform and isn't called Town Car. That makes it an automatic fail in your eyes I would imagine. GAUGES?? Are you REALLY that concerned??

Just because you have the inability to follow a conversation does not mean you have to get nasty.

Hey, it appears everyone else on the thread got lost by it too. Everything else out of your mouth is usually some sort of praise for the Panthers...just seemed like a logical conclusion.... Plus the set up you left was just too hard to resist. :lol:

Edited by NickF1011

What is Sirius Travel Link?

SIRIUS Travel Link offers a suite of data services that includes real-time traffic, tabular and graphical weather, fuel prices, sports schedules and scores, and movie listings

* SIRIUS Travel Link will be standard on Ford's next-generation navigation system and will be offered on multiple Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles in 2008.

* Traffic Data: SIRIUS Travel Link combines real-time traffic speed and flow data with accident and incident information to allow the user to navigate around congested areas.

* Weather: SIRIUS Travel Link shows coast-to-coast weather data, current conditions and 5-day forecasts, detailed storm cell information, hurricane and tropical storm tracking, local wind speeds, and even ski resort conditions.

* Fuel Prices: Drawing on information from over 120,000 gas stations, SIRIUS Travel Link sorts fuel options by price, distance, or alphabetically. If requested, the Ford navigation system can route users to the gasoline station with the lowest fuel price.

* Sports: No matter your passion - NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, NASCAR, college football and basketball, or golf -SIRIUS Travel Link provides scores and schedules and can be personalized for the user's selected teams.

* Movies: With listings from over 4,500 movie theaters, SIRIUS Travel Link helps consumers plan ahead by providing movie times, theater addresses, ratings, and run lengths. Using the Ford navigation system, the data can be sorted by distance or alphabetically. If requested, the navigation system can route users to the selected movie theater.

I'm still trying to figure out what the S.O.S. system is.

It also doesn't have a 30 year old body-on-frame platform and isn't called Town Car. That makes it an automatic fail in your eyes I would imagine. GAUGES?? Are you REALLY that concerned??

You brought up the Panthers...not me. I could care less what happens to them. And FWIW, the doors on a Suzuki sound better than the doors on a Town Car.

And, yes to the gauges. If they were that blatantly cheap with something so damn obvious, where else have they gone cheap? Why couldn't they have used proper gauges...like those in the 1998-2002 Continental? Or some of the newer Navigators? A Virtual Image Cluster would have been fantastic.

2261837_25_350.jpg

2261837_27_350.jpg

I guess that's just too much to ask.

I don't know if anyone else tried this and I'm not going to read 17 pages to find out, but I went to the Lincoln website and clicked almost every option including AWD and the THX and only got a $46,000 price. This is the car's biggest advantage.

On the bad side I still think this car is underwhelming. I hope it looks better in person anyway. At least it looks a lot better than that dull concept car. (I don't know how they pulled that off, because all the body panels look the same).

Looks great from what I've seen so far. I'm a little worried about what I've heard about the TwinForces though. Between the delay and the higher than expected cost we might not see TwinForce across more brands as soon as we'd like. I think Ford needs to go outside the company and bring in more experience with Turbos. I believe using connections with Roush or Saleen could really come in handy here. I'd say Volvo, but if I remember correctly the Volvo turbos are helical and the packaging is different.

I don't know if anyone else tried this and I'm not going to read 17 pages to find out, but I went to the Lincoln website and clicked almost every option including AWD and the THX and only got a $46,000 price. This is the car's biggest advantage.

On the bad side I still think this car is underwhelming. I hope it looks better in person anyway. At least it looks a lot better than that dull concept car. (I don't know how they pulled that off, because all the body panels look the same).

I think this is one of those cars you have to see in person. Seems like a lot of the lines get lost in a 2d image depending on the lighting.

I got $48,025...way too much for V6, FWD, and Fusion gauges.

Edited by P71_CrownVic