2009 Lincoln MKS Unleashed

suv_guy_19

correct- I have no idea what happened to that . Hopefully Blue II will chime in.

Igor

The base engine never had DI. Only on TF, which of course is a year later.

This should be a real "cash cow" for Ford, if people can overlook that it is underpowered compared to other cars in its class !

Ok so what the hell happened to the DI TI-VCT D37? If there was one, it seems the sounds went quiet on that engine.

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Living in an area where most people drive the afore mentioned competitors cars (Mercedes, BMW's, Lexus, etc...) I can attest that most people lease these vehicles. (I'll stick with my cheap paid off cars thank you)

Now Lincoln does have the price advantage. BUT, a lot will depend on what number they calculate residuals on. Being that many luxury car owners do lease, if the new Lincoln suffers great depreciation (which is not known at this point obviously), the big "howmuchamonth" difference between it and its competitors may not be enough to sway someone over.

HOWEVER, if residuals on the MKS stay within reasonable percentages. This could be a good "step-up" vehicle...much as the Lexus ES is currently.

Sorry to jump in late but on behalf of Ford, I hope I can answer a few of the questions posted throughout this thread:

To use the Intelligent Access system, walk up to the driver's door with the fob (in your pocket, purse, etc.), touch the keyless entry pad on the driver's B-pillar and open the door. Start the engine by tapping the brake pedal and pressing the start/stop button on the dash.

There's been no update since the LA Auto Show press release as to the exact date when the turbo V6 will be available. However, it will be within 1 year of the 2009 MKS launch.

Selectshift is standard and it does allow the driver to manually shift (without a clutch pedal) through the 6-speed automatic transmission.

Finally, that space below the radio controls next to the "RESET" button is reserved for the "passenger airbag off" warning light.

Sorry to jump in late but on behalf of Ford, I hope I can answer a few of the questions posted throughout this thread:

To use the Intelligent Access system, walk up to the driver's door with the fob (in your pocket, purse, etc.), touch the keyless entry pad on the driver's B-pillar and open the door. Start the engine by tapping the brake pedal and pressing the start/stop button on the dash.

There's been no update since the LA Auto Show press release as to the exact date when the turbo V6 will be available. However, it will be within 1 year of the 2009 MKS launch.

Selectshift is standard and it does allow the driver to manually shift (without a clutch pedal) through the 6-speed automatic transmission.

Finally, that space below the radio controls next to the "RESET" button is reserved for the "passenger airbag off" warning light.

Excellent... thank you for the feedback.

Sounds like a late MY2010 addition to the line. Probably waiting to ramp up power shift transmission production.

Where do you people keeping hearing PowerShift in the MKS ?

READ MY LIPS !

THE ONLY NA POWERSHIFT APPLICATION PRIOR TO 2012MY IS FIESTA/VERVE. PERIOD. END OF DISCUSSION.

Edited by theoldwizard

Living in an area where most people drive the afore mentioned competitors cars (Mercedes, BMW's, Lexus, etc...) I can attest that most people lease these vehicles. (I'll stick with my cheap paid off cars thank you)

Now Lincoln does have the price advantage. BUT, a lot will depend on what number they calculate residuals on. Being that many luxury car owners do lease, if the new Lincoln suffers great depreciation (which is not known at this point obviously), the big "howmuchamonth" difference between it and its competitors may not be enough to sway someone over.

HOWEVER, if residuals on the MKS stay within reasonable percentages. This could be a good "step-up" vehicle...much as the Lexus ES is currently.

Now here is a real business man !

The interesting thing about residuals is, how are they set on a brand new vehicle ? From what little research I have done, the credit company (in this case Ford Credit) consult their ouija board and picks a number.

With a bit of arm twisting for Big Brother, I'm certain the residuals on the MKS will be pretty good.

Personally, I don't want to be blown off the line by some kid in mommy's Taurus, even though I have a dual panel moonroof.

Where do you people keeping hearing PowerShift in the MKS ?

READ MY LIPS !

THE ONLY NA POWERSHIFT APPLICATION PRIOR TO 2012MY IS FIESTA/VERVE. PERIOD. END OF DISCUSSION.

Now, this confuses me... because what FWD transaxle is able to handle the Twin Force? Ford has plenty of RWD transmissions up for the task, but I was always under the impression the Ford/GM 6-speed was reliable up to around 300hp or so.

The interesting thing about residuals is, how are they set on a brand new vehicle ? From what little research I have done, the credit company (in this case Ford Credit) consult their ouija board and picks a number.

Residuals are generally based on published figures from ALG (Automotive Lease Guide) which uses some publicly available and some proprietary data along with statistical modeling to hazard a guess as to residual values.

Among the factors taken into consideration are fleet mix, type of fleet mix, and the configurations sold to fleets. Ford has obtained higher residuals on the Escape and Fusion trios by requiring rental companies to purchase well equipped models instead of strippers.

Note the attached PDF.

Interesting tidbits are the requirements that rental agencies purchase Focuses with ABS, Mustangs with exterior appearance packages, that 50% of Fusion purchases be V6 SELs, with a minimum of 50% of all Fusions sales to rental agencies be equipped with heated seats, sunroofs, and satellite radio.

In other words, Ford's rental sales now consists of extremely attractive models instead of Tauruses with cloth seats, tape decks, and no amenities.

2008_20Model_20Order_20Specifications.pdf

Edited by RichardJensen

MKS is an official dud, I don't know why Ford is still supporting the D3. Every vehicle it spawned so far is a freaking dud, and this one will be a dud as well.

HUGE DUD...not yet driven or tested or even released....that hands on you have had must have been extremely educational.....

Now, this confuses me... because what FWD transaxle is able to handle the Twin Force? Ford has plenty of RWD transmissions up for the task, but I was always under the impression the Ford/GM 6-speed was reliable up to around 300hp or so.

The big issue with automatic transmissions isn't HP, its torque, from what I understand. There was a posting on rumors board that Ford will address this by having the PCM control the wastegate so the engine doesn't over torque the transmission. They use this type of system on the Mazdaspeed 3 also from what the poster said..

HUGE DUD...not yet driven or tested or even released....that hands on you have had must have been extremely educational.....

Lol, I am just calling it the way I see it. The MKS have no edge at all in anything, it's an average-to-weak, it doesn't an A or an A+ in anything, but the grade book is full of Bs, Cs and Fs.

I think your nickname should be the angry Arab! :P

You forgot to mention the explosives belt... ah well.

Edited by LincolnFan

Lol, I am just calling it the way I see it. The MKS have no edge at all in anything, it's an average-to-weak, it doesn't an A or an A+ in anything, but the grade book is full of Bs, Cs and Fs.

You forgot to mention the explosives belt... ah well.

I also have reservations based on PRESUMED specs...but my glass is half full. AND I want to see it in the flesh for opinions on styling AND read some hands on blurb for basing performance opinions.....I personally think this car will be an extremely pleasent surprize and the AWD TF down the road will raise eyebrows....but PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE Lincoln...bring us the MKR.....

I also have reservations based on PRESUMED specs...but my glass is half full. AND I want to see it in the flesh for opinions on styling AND read some hands on blurb for basing performance opinions.....I personally think this car will be an extremely pleasent surprize and the AWD TF down the road will raise eyebrows....but PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE Lincoln...bring us the MKR.....

Are you kidding me? the MKS won't outrun anything, according to Mr. Wizard, the PoserShift won't show up on the MKS TF, therefore, they're going to murder the torque in the first gear, that means a slower launch, that leads to useless power. People buy powerful cars for the huge amount of power applied from stop, power that comes later is useless because you will only use that kind of power in a track.