2009 Lincoln MKS Unleashed

suv_guy_19

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because the Focii was RWD based.

So you see, with RWD you don't need the hassles of wasted power and parasitic losses. With good tires, RWD is a better choice anyday of the week. That's why Ford needs to get it's ass in gear and get the MKR ASAP.

not sure you are correct on that, as far as I know ALL focii are FWD based...and also, regardless of FWD based or RWD based there are similar parasitic losses....do agree on the MKR though....but my bet it will be AWD to handle the HP and inherrent torque steer probs....

Edited by Deanh

What? RWD -BIASED- or RWD -based-?

Because I had no idea that you could mod-up a WRC car so far as to change the orientation of the engine, transmission, and drive wheels.

I could have sworn I read it was RWD somewhere... shit stupid failing resources.

Oh yeah SUV boy, I laughed. Adam Sandler called, he wants you to write the script for his upcoming lacklust-- blockbluster.

I could have sworn I read it was RWD somewhere... shit stupid failing resources.

Oh yeah SUV boy, I laughed. Adam Sandler called, he wants you to write the script for his upcoming lacklust-- blockbluster.

Haha....you are a funny one. Did someone shove something where it doesn't belong? You have changed so quickly and its not in a desirable way. You are actually starting to become very annoying.

Fantastic, Fabulous my man. Astonishing. Truly. How did I miss that? Oh wait... Please go back and check my post, there's a reason why Rick didn't further persue that matter, he even stopped mentioning it after the Turkey-flavored objection he swallowed, maybe you should have a taste as well?

OOOOHHH troll is all PROUD of himself! Not sure why, you haven't proved a damned thing. You don't know squat. Don't fan your peacock tail just yet.

Haha....you are a funny one. Did someone shove something where it doesn't belong? You have changed so quickly and its not in a desirable way. You are actually starting to become very annoying.

I like it, keep the insults coming Canadian boy. That's probably the only thing you have an edge on me in.

I see. So because I changed my opinion (not really) and no longer agree with you, I became very annoying?

The difference between AWD and 4x4, and the reason why those two terms exist, is because AWD is activated by wheelspin (be it a torsen system, a hydraulic system--Haldex, or the Ford/Borg Warner electromechanical system). By overriding the AWD's slip detection mechanisms, you're turning the system into a straight forward mechanical 4x4 system.

Sorry to dredge up ancient history but breifly,

What is difference between the Taurus AWD and the Mazda/Fusion AWD?

Are they both part time systems?

Same system, the 500 used to have the Haldex but they dumped it in 2007 for the Ford/WB unit.

They're all part-time systems.

My understanding was that AWD was always a full time system since you didn't have to engage it or disengage it like a 4x4 setup on a truck or SUV

More Info here:

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2006/11/21/029437.html

On-Demand All-Wheel Drive

The third type is the on-demand system. An on-demand system is always driving one axle and then drives the other axle as conditions demand. In the case of the Ford Fusion or Ford Edge, the front axle is the primary drive axle. For the Ford Explorer and Mercury Mountaineer, the rear axle is the primary drive axle.

Simple mechanical systems use a clutch to send torque to the secondary drive axle when the primary axle starts to slip. Today’s electronic systems — like those found on all Ford Motor Company cars as well as Ford Explorer and Expedition, the Lincoln Navigator and the V-8 Mercury Mountaineer — use a computer controller that monitors such things as steering angle, accelerator pedal position and engine speed to provide the precise amount of torque, front to rear, as needed.

“What’s really impressive about these systems is that they don’t just react to slip,” says Rodrigues. “They usually prevent that slip from occurring in the first place. By predicting slip and preventing it, the driver doesn’t feel the vehicle slipping and responding. The operation is seamless.”

He says on-demand systems create a smooth, confident driving feel in all weather conditions with much better traction. The systems also help balance and improve driving dynamics by sending torque to the secondary axle when it’s most appropriate for handling.

“On a normal front-drive vehicle, the front wheels have a limited amount of traction available to them,” says Rodrigues. “That traction has to be used for moving the car forward and for steering. If you use all of the torque to drive forward, you don’t have anything left to steer with, and vise versa. An AWD system off-loads some of that drive torque to the rear wheels. The harder you accelerate, the more of that torque that’s going to be redirected to the rear wheels, restoring the ability of the front wheels to steer the vehicle while providing an even higher level of acceleration.”

But he cautions that while these sophisticated AWD systems do help with acceleration, they won’t make the car stop any faster.

“Your traction is much better and your handling is much better,” says Rodrigues, “but AWD does not give you more braking power.”

Edited by silvrsvt

That makes no sense. Tray again you FAIL!

Actually, it does. It adds unnecessary electric components which will result in more power lost in translation. Also AWD requires changing all of the four wheels if say one of them went bad.

Too much unnecessary hassles, the answer to all of this is obvious, RWD.

Actually, it does. It adds unnecessary electric components which will result in more power lost in translation. Also AWD requires changing all of the four wheels if say one of them went bad.

Mmmmmkay. Something tells me you'd change your tune about AWD if it was offered in a RWD-based vehicle. :finger:

Regardless it isn't just uneccessary weight, just for the sake of.......

It goes without saying that all wheel drive adds weight, why is there a need to clarify as if this is some new tech or something.

I like it, keep the insults coming Canadian boy. That's probably the only thing you have an edge on me in.

I see. So because I changed my opinion (not really) and no longer agree with you, I became very annoying?

I never insulted you, you keep insulting me. You are whining and complaining about almost anything. Its not about having an opinion, its about how you display it.