Mulally earmarks billions from labor savings for product development

igor

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well...it's true though. I think that statement is quite indicative that the Panthers and Ranger will probably both be dead before the end of 2010, as there is no known replacement due for either of them for another year or two after that....

Good...can't happen soon enough! These old tired vehicles bring down the image that Ford is trying to project. Care to guess why The CV is fleet only?

Guess I'll have to order my replacement for my Panther in the 2010 model year, then it is goodbye Ford for me!

My brother plans on replacing his 2003 Lincoln LS with a Cadillac - but he is just a malcontent as well. Ford doesn't need his money either, as guys like him and I just bring down Ford's image.

Guess I'll have to order my replacement for my Panther in the 2010 model year, then it is goodbye Ford for me!

My brother plans on replacing his 2003 Lincoln LS with a Cadillac - but he is just a malcontent as well. Ford doesn't need his money either, as guys like him and I just bring down Ford's image.

So NO vehicle Ford can build in the future could POSSIBLY suit the needs of buyers better than the Panther or Lincoln LS? Give me a break!! Whenever Huntsman arrives here (and by all indications it WILL arrive here...it's just a matter of when) it will likely blow the old Panthers (and LS for that matter) out of the water in every measurable statistic...and look modern and appealing while doing so.

So you feel the current Taurus is the Camry's direct competitor?

Where will the Fusion/Mondeo fit?

Taurus is Avalon / Camry competitor- the Camry statement was about its bread and butter, grocery getter, sensible choice, for the masses nature .. The 300 might be more fun for enthusiasts, but it is not a Camry/ Taurus sort of sensible car - no RWD will ever be ... The Taurus should not chase some non-existent enthusiast niche - it is a larger Camry - that is what makes it great.

Igor

Edited by igor

Taurus is Avalon / Camry competitor- the Camry statement was about its bread and butter, grocery getter, sensible choice, for the masses nature .. The 300 might be more fun for enthusiasts, but it is not a Camry/ Taurus sort of sensible car - no RWD will ever be ... The Taurus should not chase some non-existent enthusiast niche - it is a larger Camry - that is what makes it great.

Igor

I mean no disrespect to Ford's current efforts with the Taurus, I just feel more can be achieved with less.

The whole problem is that the previous Taurus was split into two different cars - Fusion and Fivehundred.

An unnecessary move because a new "Fivehundred/Taurus" could have been built on either

a Fusion CD3 or Mondeo EUCD platforms - the 112" wheelbase is the key to spacial efficiency.

A Fusion with a 107" wheelbase is never going to be able to do what a 112.2" wheelbase Mondeo can.

Although the trunk is slightly smaller, the latest Mondeo nearly matches the 2008 Taurus internal dimensions .

Even though the aestetics may not suit American tastes, the overall packaging acheives almost the same result

in a car that is 10" shorter, considerably lighter and available with more fuel efficient engines.

Edit,

I've just been for a ride in a new Mondeo last night and I also remember driving the Fivehundred last year while in the USA.

The mondeo feels similar internally - maybe a little shorter in rear leg room, trunk is slightly smaller but not much.

It's a lot of car in a smaller package!

Fivehundred/Taurus (Mondeo)

Length: 200.7 (190.7)

Width: 74.5 (74.3)

Height: 60.4 (59.1)

Wheelbase: 112.9 (112.2)

Track Front: 64.6 (62.2)

Track Rear: 65 (62.8)

Leg Room Front: 41.2 (44.6)

Leg Room Rear: 41.9 (37.4)

Shoulder Room Front: 57.8 (57.0)

Shoulder Room Rear: 57.6 (56.4)

Head Room Front: 39.4 (39.2)

Head Room Rear: 38.6 (39.2)

Hip Room Front: 53.7 (N/A)

Hip Room Rear: 53.6 (N/A)

Edited by jpd80

NO - Taurus is FWD / AWD - put a larger RWD niche sedan above it .. Taurus is a car for the masses - a larger Camry - not a niche performance machine.

So no one wants another Taurus SHO ?

Oh, I forgot, that was the MKS when it had a V8. Then it was a MKS with TwinForce. Now MKS is just another Taurus with a nice looking Lincoln front end.

So no one wants another Taurus SHO ?

Oh, I forgot, that was the MKS when it had a V8. Then it was a MKS with TwinForce. Now MKS is just another Taurus with a nice looking Lincoln front end.

MKS is still getting the TwinForce. And to call the MKS "just another Taurus" is ridiculous and you know it. By that reasoning, the Taurus is just another S80. So the MKS is actually just another high-end Volvo.

If the non-TF MKTaurus can be optioned up to an astounding $48,000 with just 270 HP, how much is the TF going to add?

Probably a few grand, which certainly isn't unreasonable, assuming the performance warrants the price tag. Now, if we get a TwinForce with a measily 315-320 HP, then I'll be the first to complain.

There is precedence:

800px-1968_White_Ford_Thunderbird_Fordor_rear.jpg

1968 Thunderbird Sedan (with suicide doors no less!)

I'll take the blue '88 parked next to it instead, thanks. Man, that's what mine will look like someday... just a darker shade of blue. Got the 5.0 HO, NOS interior parts and other goodies all lined up / in hand for it and everything.... just no space for the build.

Ever notice how good those cars look on the road today, some two decades later? Timeless. :shades:

(Incidentally, the one in the pic is an '88 instead of '87 by virtue of the all-black (no chrome) rear window trim).

Lincoln < BMW.

BMWs are supposed to be expensive. They are BMWs.

But paying 50K plus for a "so-so" Lincoln is nuts.

ok then ... go back to your la-la land where everything you say is justified. The MKS is about $5k cheaper than most competition while offering all the luxury features and offering perfectly matched mainstream engine - all competitors have cars with the same output as MKS and those carry the marquee .. but for MKS that is not enough because it is Lincoln .. eff that ... whatevs ..

Igor

The "It's thousands of dollars cheaper than the competition and offers more" approach didn't work for the Fusion.

What makes people think it'll work for the Lincoln Forenza?

If there's a will, there's a way. Pricing standards are set at the top, not the bottom. Camry, Accord, etc. were hardly affected by Ford's "value" strategy, nor do their buyers felt "ripped off" because Ford gives more for less. And hardly any gains were made from that upper-half segment.

I'm guessing we'll see a repeat of what happened with the Fusion with the MKS, only in this case it will be Buick and some New Money Acura/Lexus customers, instead of the well known Kia/Hyundai/Pontiac conquests. Saying "but the Lincoln is cheaper than the Bimmer" makes as much sense as saying "but Hyundai gives me more than Honda". P71 is right.

Edited by pcsario