2009 Ford F-150 Uncovered!

DetroitWonk

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The front doors are bigger. The rumor was the SuperCrew was going to be 6" longer. The front doors look like the 04-08 SuperCab front doors, which are about 6" longer then the old 04-08 SuperCrew front doors. Sounds like an easy fix to make a bigger cab. The SuperCab is supposed to be getting bigger too. I wonder what doors it will use?

Yes the SuperCrew cab is 6" longer. Yes Ford did use the current SuperCab doors but the current SuperCab doors are only 3" longer than the SuperCrew doors. The extra 3" has been added to the back of the SuperCrew cab. From what I have seen in DTP paint(where I work) the SuperCab stays the same length.

Yes the SuperCrew cab is 6" longer. Yes Ford did use the current SuperCab doors but the current SuperCab doors are only 3" longer than the SuperCrew doors. The extra 3" has been added to the back of the SuperCrew cab. From what I have seen in DTP paint(where I work) the SuperCab stays the same length.

why did they do away with the dinky back doors on the Std cab...customers LOVED those things....

Ford won't sell or market it as a refresh, though.

Who the hell markets their products as refresh? When ever the littlest thing changes, they blare out...ALL-NEW!

Point still remains, this thing looks old already and the interior certainly doesn't help.

What your tastes and the car buying public are two totally different things...It looks different from the current F-150...so that will equate to it being New in whoever is buying it.

Then get rid of them...the dash looks like ass.

On a side note, this truck is being very well received (except for the dash) on...of all sites...

GM Inside News

Looks like ass....to you. People demand redundant controls. I can change the radio stations from my steering wheel. That doesn't mean I don't want a tuner button on my dash still. I also wish it was a little less cluttered, but without installing some sort of touch screen or overly complicated joystick, what other choice is there? And people complain about not being able to use BUTTONS with work gloves on...imagine the bitching you'd hear about a control knob or touch screen in that regard.

Who the hell markets their products as refresh? When ever the littlest thing changes, they blare out...ALL-NEW!

What your tastes and the car buying public are two totally different things...It looks different from the current F-150...so that will equate to it being New in whoever is buying it.

Case in point: 2005 super duty, no rear change, 2008, very little rear change.

:hysterical: guess i deserved that, although it will be at vons in Leisure world with a self parking Lexus gone wild! I do have 20/20....Fords interior is the best there is as of right now, bar NONE in pickups....PC keeps mentioning Audi....do they have a bench in the front? 3 across seating if desired?.....i think you will be pleasently surprized when you veiw it in the flesh...LOVE THAT HOOD!

I have got to agree with you Deanh, most F-150s will spent with bags of cement, and full of pigs shit in the back. Nearest the driver of the Audi R8 will come to this will be when he has a bit of pork for his Sunday lunch. Psario maybe is thinks the F-150 will the Audi R8 executive new car or something?

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

Looked cleaner, more intuitive for sure. Are you going to deny that?

I haven't operated the new switchgear, so I can't comment on how intuitive it is or not. Heck, the photo isn't even clear enough to show which buttons do what.

Cleaner, as in less cluttered? Perhaps. But it's certainly not as attractive to me. Of all the bricks in Ford interiors past and present, the double-DIN ones look the worst. I want to see how it looks with a nav screen too.

It's not really so much the number of buttons that gets to me...it's the lack of difference between them. Rows of similarly-sized buttons could be troublesome to some. Perhaps a little bit of rake in the size, either increasing toward the center or toward the edges...just to give it a little more personality. That's an opinion that I think can be said of ALL of Ford's interiors -- even the generally-praised Flex's. I won't say this interior is perfect by any means...just that it still seems pretty darned good compared to any other pickup on the market. It just looks "tough" to me.

I haven't operated the new switchgear, so I can't comment on how intuitive it is or not. Heck, the photo isn't even clear enough to show which buttons do what.

Cleaner, as in less cluttered? Perhaps. But it's certainly not as attractive to me. Of all the bricks in Ford interiors past and present, the double-DIN ones look the worst. I want to see how it looks with a nav screen too.

It's not really so much the number of buttons that gets to me...it's the lack of difference between them. Rows of similarly-sized buttons could be troublesome to some. Perhaps a little bit of rake in the size, either increasing toward the center or toward the edges...just to give it a little more personality. That's an opinion that I think can be said of ALL of Ford's interiors -- even the generally-praised Flex's. I won't say this interior is perfect by any means...just that it still seems pretty darned good compared to any other pickup on the market. It just looks "tough" to me.

with more features comes more buttons and people seem to be demanding more Toyz....Pc LOVES the interior of the worktrucks...sans A/C of course.....

Edited by Deanh

The new F-150 looks as awesome as usual, its sales are in a bit of a slump due to the housing market slump which you cant do anything about, with oil just below $99 a barrel today improved MPG should me the most important thing Ford should be looking at to help it weather the fuel price storms now and in the future.

watch people pi$$ and moan even if MPG is great due to lack of class/ leading HP.....some people are not happy with trade-offs...they want it all...AND RIGHT NOW!

why did they do away with the dinky back doors on the Std cab...customers LOVED those things....

Nobody I know love those dumbass doors on the regular cab truck. It makes the regular door too small for an easy exit or entry and if you are tall, all you see when you look to your left is door post.

Nobody I know love those dumbass doors on the regular cab truck. It makes the regular door too small for an easy exit or entry and if you are tall, all you see when you look to your left is door post.

ahhh i see, you play for the NBA....as long as there is still room behind the seat for odds and ends and the ability to recline i suppose all is well....as lond as Acess is easy enough for the odds and ends.....was GREAT for golf clubs..now think about throwing your back out reaching OVER the seat.....

First of all I think the idea of getting an all new from the ground up truck every 4 years is wishful thinking. Even if Ford did that some on these boards would be then demanding a completely new truck every 2 years. No company can afford this and it is not necessary. A good pickup platform should be able to run 8 years with one mid-life redesign. I like what Ford has done to the exterior of the F150. It is pushing the design ahead without ruining it. It will appeal to current F-150 owners and should be able to pull in new ones. I think this truck a beautiful compared to the Tundra. I know there are some on here that might prefer the radical styling of the Tundra, but I find the new F-150 to be much more tasteful and masculine.

As far as the interior goes it again is taking something that works and improving on it. I agree with some that think there are too many buttons, however I would assume that XLT models will still use rotary HVAC controls and all the buttons are for the electronic HVAC systems in the higher models.

It looks like they put a fair amount of effort in reducing aerodynamic drag. The front end looks very smooth. Let's hope they put some effort in weight reduction too.

doubtful.....lightweight trucks sound like a paradox, unless they use aluminum ( just add $$$$$$ ) for body panels etc, doubt they will change the industrys best most durable frame.....

POWERTRAIN INFO

On the powertrain side, there is one big disappointment – there will be no BOSS V8 engines at launch; all the V8 engines at launch will be from the Modular / Triton family. However, new engines will be added quickly though the 2009 model year and at the beginning of the 2010 model year. The big news in powertrains is the elimination of the four-speed automatic transmission and adoption of six-speed automatics all across the lineup. This move will leapfrog the like of GM and Toyota who offer such transmissions on only the most powerful and expensive models.

The base engine will be an all new 3.7 liter V6. This is a version of the D35 engine rapidly spreading through Ford’s lineup, and while there will be other 3.7l V6’s in Lincoln’s and Mazda’s lineup, the V6 in F150 will be unique, specifically tuned for low engine torque. While the numbers are not revealed yet, expect about 260 horsepower and 280 or more ft.lbs of torque at about 2000 RPMs.

Next up will be the venerable three-valve 4.6l V8 from the Explorer. This engine will be not modified in any way from its Explorer application so the power numbers will remain 292hp, and 300ft.lbs of torque. This engine is at its final years of production, and will be dropped shortly after the engine lineup is completed in the 2010 model year.

The third V8 at launch will be a new version of the 5.4l V8. Mostly using the Expedition setup, Ford has reworked the engine for more power, torque, refinement, and efficiency. The final numbers were not revealed yet, but 325hp and 380ft/lbs of toque is a reasonable expectation.

The first post-launch change in the powertrain lineup will occur in the first weeks of 2009. As a Job2 change, Ford will add a 6.2l V8 engine. This will be the first member of the BOSS family, and while the engine is still in testing, it is expected to be rated at around 425hp. This engine will be officially revealed and released a couple months prior in the 2009 Lincoln Navigator.

Final major change in the engine lineup will come with the launch of the 2010 model year of the truck in the summer of 2009. A new 4.4l V8 diesel engine and a TwinForce 3.5l V6 will be added, and, as mentioned above, the 4.6l V8 will probably be dropped. The diesel is a larger version of the 3.6l Lion V8 diesel Ford developed with France’s Peugeot/Citroen (PSA) automaker, and will deliver around 315hp and 520ft.lbs of torque. The Twin Force engine will be positioned as a V8 alternative with better fuel economy. Using twin turbochargers, direct injection, and twin independent camshaft timing, the engine will deliver about 400hp and 400ft.lbs of torque at 1500rpms.

It is unfortunate Ford will not launch the truck with the full engine lineup, and it will likely hurt the sales some; but with the rapid rollout of the remaining engines the damage should be minor. Moreover, Ford has a final ace up its sleeve; in the 2011 or 2012 model year, Ford will add a monster of an engine: a TwinForce version of the 6.2l V8 – delivering more than 650ft.lbs of torque and around 500hp. The new engine will deliver performance equal to, say, a Chrysler SRT-10, but with a smaller engine and better fuel efficiency. Like with the 2008 Super Duty, Ford is not playing around with the truck and aiming squarely for the “class leading” designation. We will see the truck at Detroit Auto show in January, and Job1 is on August 8th, 2008.

What is with Ford and not having a product finished at launch?