Just to beat the horse one more time

RangerM

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe that you don't think the new 2009 F-150 is a step up from the Ranger. I see by your signature you own a 1993 Ranger. Heck a 2008 Ranger would be a heck of a step up. My father owns a 2005 Ranger SuperCab and it is a nice little pickup, but with 4x4, 4.0L and a 5 speed auto fuel economy is not great. In fact, an F-150 gets about the same fuel economy. He just likes it because it is smaller and easier to park and drive through traffic.

The compact truck market is dead. The Dodge Dakota and Chevy Colorado are on life support. The Toyota Tacoma and Nissan Frontier are selling a little better, but are still very slow sellers. The Ranger is actually outselling the Dakota and Colorado. Considering all the time, money and effort GM and Chrysler put into those pickups the return has been terrible. Ford can't afford to sink a lot of money into a dying segment.

I am excited about the new F-150 even if you are not. The most exciting part for me is the 4.4L V8 Turbo Diesel that is coming. Yes, it will be priced much higher then the compact and midsize pickups are but I can assure you in most cases it will get much better fuel economy. The only compact truck that might do better on fuel would be a 4 cyl. 2WD Ranger.

I think that the comment is regarding the US Ranger. It is obvious that the US Ranger is dead by 2009, as the plant will shut down.

My bets are on the Global Ranger, being developed in Australia, which will probably be available in the US by 2009 or 2010. I just think that the real question is where will it be built...

I think that the comment is regarding the US Ranger. It is obvious that the US Ranger is dead by 2009, as the plant will shut down.

My bets are on the Global Ranger, being developed in Australia, which will probably be available in the US by 2009 or 2010. I just think that the real question is where will it be built...

If Ford can stay in the compact truck market with a solution like this then it can still be profitable. What I was referring to is the market is too small for a North American only vehicle in this class. I hope the global project works out for them. I would guess they will probably end up building the North American version somewhere in the US, Canada or Mexico.

I drove by the local dealership last night and new rangers on the lawn have the price marked on the door in big numbers. $12,739!! That is a major drop from only a few months ago. I'm assuming it's the Can/US price thing, but that's an excellent deal.

Oh, this is in Halifax NS.

A guy in another shop has a 8 month old ranger, LOVES IT. Zero problems! :happy feet:

I can't believe that you don't think the new 2009 F-150 is a step up from the Ranger. I see by your signature you own a 1993 Ranger. Heck a 2008 Ranger would be a heck of a step up. My father owns a 2005 Ranger SuperCab and it is a nice little pickup, but with 4x4, 4.0L and a 5 speed auto fuel economy is not great. In fact, an F-150 gets about the same fuel economy. He just likes it because it is smaller and easier to park and drive through traffic.

I never said the F-150 ISN'T a step up, although that is a matter of opinion.

Yes, I own a 1993 Ranger that I purchased new, when I was 23 and single. Now that I am married, with one child and one on the way, my needs have changed. Any pickup I buy must be capable of hauling us around. An F-150 would be capable of this, except that I don't want an Expedition in the front and a 5 foot "microbed" in the back. It's too tall to be useful for me. I can't reach over the bedside to retrieve anything the way I can with my Ranger or just about any '80s fullsize (and I don't consider my height of 5'10" to be short).

MPG is not as much a consideration as size for me, but while we're on the subject, I usually get about 22-23 in mixed driving. I've yet to hear of a full size that can match this.

The compact truck market is dead. The Dodge Dakota and Chevy Colorado are on life support. The Toyota Tacoma and Nissan Frontier are selling a little better, but are still very slow sellers. The Ranger is actually outselling the Dakota and Colorado. Considering all the time, money and effort GM and Chrysler put into those pickups the return has been terrible. Ford can't afford to sink a lot of money into a dying segment.

The compact truck market is "dead" for one of the following reasons; Lack of demand or lack of desirable product.

I ask you to consider the product.

Dakota and Colorado - I actually like the Dakota, but have little faith in Chrysler quality. A coworker has a "top-of-the-line" Dodge pickup, but I wasn't impressed with the look and feel of the interior. It just "felt cheap". The Colorado is just plain ugly, and while I consider myself rather forgiving in that department, I just can't get beyond that front end.

Tacoma - This truck is about the size of a fullsize. You can't get anything in a crew configuration that isn't jacked WAY up off the ground.

Frontier - I actually like this truck. You can get a crew cab that's not on stilts and with a 6' bed. This will likely be my truck of choice, assuming I have no other options.

Is there lack of demand because no one wants ANY compact pickup, or that no one wants THOSE compact pickups.

Station wagons and minivans are dead too, aren't they?

I am excited about the new F-150 even if you are not. The most exciting part for me is the 4.4L V8 Turbo Diesel that is coming. Yes, it will be priced much higher then the compact and midsize pickups are but I can assure you in most cases it will get much better fuel economy. The only compact truck that might do better on fuel would be a 4 cyl. 2WD Ranger.

Enjoy your F-150.

Good post. A dose of reality sometimes helps on here. I guess some expect Ford to radically change the F-150 and change every body panel extensively. Give it a whole new look like present one is ugly. Put creases in the tailgate like Toyota did with Tundra so it looks like tailgate got into collision with something. Ford can't win with some. If they get real bold like with Flex it's called ugly, and if they go conservative they are called out for that too. The new F-150 will be roomier, updated interior, more powerful, better trans, quieter, better ride, more towing power, better payload rating, and more capable with better fuel mileage. Isn't that enough? Guess not for some.

With new fuel mileage standards coming and oil showing no signs of coming down in price, Ford will need a smaller pickup with significantlly better gas mileage to meet these standards. More smaller vehicles are going to have to be produced to meet these coming standards.

....The new F-150 will be roomier, updated interior, more powerful, better trans, quieter, better ride, more towing power, better payload rating, and more capable with better fuel mileage. Isn't that enough? Guess not for some.

For some, "enough" = "too much"

The Colorado is just plain ugly, and while I consider myself rather forgiving in that department, I just can't get beyond that front end.

Station wagons and minivans are dead too, aren't they?

Yeah, I would stay away from the Colorado. I had the dis-pleasure of riding in one and it was very unrefined, noisy, weak, and the interior was one big sea of cold, hard plastic.

Station Wagons are not dead yet, Ford has the Taurus Wagon and they have a new wagon coming out next year sometime called the Flex.

With new fuel mileage standards coming and oil showing no signs of coming down in price, Ford will need a smaller pickup with significantlly better gas mileage to meet these standards. More smaller vehicles are going to have to be produced to meet these coming standards.

Current Thai Ranger /Courier has grown in size in the past 4-5 years, to match Toyota's

Hilux/Tacoma. Anyone with visions of the Global Ranger being anything likethose little trucks

from the 1980s and 1990s is sadly mistaken. If introduced in North America, the Global Ranger

will draw sales from F150 ranks for sure, something Ford needs to think about with proposed CAFE.

Current Thai Ranger /Courier has grown in size in the past 4-5 years, to match Toyota's

Hilux/Tacoma. Anyone with visions of the Global Ranger being anything likethose little trucks

from the 1980s and 1990s is sadly mistaken. If introduced in North America, the Global Ranger

will draw sales from F150 ranks for sure, something Ford needs to think about with proposed CAFE.

Better for Ford to draw sales from the F-150 ranks than leaving it to Toyota to do the job.

Exactly, and giving away another market to the Japs is so fucking dumb, leave it to Ford... :finger:

has everyone forgotten the rumoured f100?

I least I haven't. The issue though, IMHO, is that the Global Ranger is a confirmed project.

I really don't see people dropping the F150 for a Thai or Global Ranger. They are really very distinct products (at least today) and I believe cater completely different end users.

The Thai Ranger is a really good, reliable work truck that some families use as pseudo SUVs in emerging markets.

I least I haven't. The issue though, IMHO, is that the Global Ranger is a confirmed project.

I really don't see people dropping the F150 for a Thai or Global Ranger. They are really very distinct products (at least today) and I believe cater completely different end users.

The Thai Ranger is a really good, reliable work truck that some families use as pseudo SUVs in emerging markets.

I hope not, because there IS a market for a semi mid/ smaller pickup....maybe max it out with the entry level TF engine, but styling/ affordability/ mileage is the key...ALL the current small pickups SUCK....NONE have ANY character at all....

Edited by Deanh

I hope not, because there IS a market for a semi mid/ smaller pickup....maybe max it out with the entry level TF engine, but styling/ affordability/ mileage is the key...ALL the current small pickups SUCK....NONE have ANY character at all....

There are a few Thai Rangers in the US that foreign aid and Gov sale dealers have in stock (temporary import permit)

From what I've heard through them is that that fleet buyers (US) loved the packaging

It's too tall to be useful for me. I can't reach over the bedside to retrieve anything the way I can with my Ranger or just about any '80s fullsize (and I don't consider my height of 5'10" to be short).

Why would any automaker want to make, of all vehicles, a pickup easy to use? Get with the times man...it's cool to need a staircase to get into a truck.

Slab-sided, too tall beds are the future. :finger:

Why would any automaker want to make, of all vehicles, a pickup easy to use? Get with the times man...it's cool to need a staircase to get into a truck.

Slab-sided, too tall beds are the future. :finger:

Yeah. Who cares if the capability has to be sacrificed. Who cares if Ford is trying to keep ahead of the market. Who cares if such a huge number of buyers have spoken and bought the truck.

Yeah. Who cares if the capability has to be sacrificed. Who cares if Ford is trying to keep ahead of the market. Who cares if such a huge number of buyers have spoken and bought the truck.

Making a truck more of a BITCH to use is not keeping ahead of the market.

In fact, it probably isn't even the beds...it is the fact that the body is so high off the suspension.