Jim Farley: Ford Marketing Plan in 90 days

sonofford

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 years....

shame...does this mean no more red-necks in cowboy hats singing Country chewing backy sitting on a spitoon....or unrecognizable ( to non reality show addicts ) Idol????? winners with grey hair as the face of Fords BOLD ( should have crossed out the "B" ) campaign?????

how about selling the merits of the cars.

the Taurus X is a fantastic car and yet its not talked about. Like some kind of red-headed stepchild. Most people have no idea the X exists. Never mind its the safest crossover in America and available with AWD.

how about selling the merits of the cars.

the Taurus X is a fantastic car and yet its not talked about. Like some kind of red-headed stepchild. Most people have no idea the X exists. Never mind its the safest crossover in America and available with AWD.

Click the link below and scroll down, just sort of proves a point about said vehicle:

http://www.automobilemag.com/features/awar...s_up/index.html

The thing I don't understand is that Ford's marketing plan can't be entirely awful because they wouldn't be making cars that people bought at all then. Some of them, definitely, missed the mark in the past, but it seems like their current product lineup really isn't that bad. I mean, to me, it's more or less a lack of ADVERTISING that is the problem rather than a lack of effective marketing (although advertising is part of marketing, so I guess they still fail in that respect).

I think most of their cars are spot-on in terms of the market they are targeting and the preliminary marketing research that underlies the development of the car and its features. It doesn't matter how good your car is if no one knows about it though - and that, my friends, is why I think Ford isn't gaining ground with cars like the Taurus. A lot of people STILL don't realize that it is out there.

One exception to the whole "no one knows it's out there," to me anyway, would be the Focus. I mean, the Focus - although I find it to be somewhat ugly - I cannot tell you how many kids at my university have said how nice looking it is and how awesome the SYNC system is. They were spot in for the market they were targeting and their advertising thus far hasn't been AWFUL.

The thing I really don't get though: you'd think if they knew what demographic they were targeting, they'd also understand how to effectively advertise to that market ... but time and time again they seem to have missed the mark with the D3 FWD full size cars. GET YOUR REAR IN GEAR FORD!

Edited by SVT_MAN

This is good to hear, I mean the car that is the best against its competition gets absolutely 0 meaningful advertising from Ford. I thought teir would be a big return of the Taurus ad campaign, but nothing happened.

Well I think the reason why we haven't seen this vaunted Taurus Ad blitz was that Farley was brought in right around the time it was going to be kicked off? Maybe he saw it and said fuck this?

My brother had a Wii, but he got bored of it and sold it. I'm sure you'll like it though.

Well, it's mostly for the kids, but Santa is going to bring me a few games for it as well. 12 games total, not including the 14 sports games that the package came with. Poker, Guitar Hero, AMC Bowling, and many multi-player games the whole family can play since it has four controllers. That should keep us busy and entertained. If not, I'll have to break down and get Madden and Woods '08. :D