How the Flex will be a success

elkarlo

Girls can be dangerous, I broke my nose once, and it was broken by the hottest blonde I've

ever seen, I was walking up a set of stairs and she was coming down, she tripped, fell forward and head butted me right on the bridge of my nose, and of course I played it off like it didn't hurt.. :slug:

Did she look like this?

MImi.jpg

Edited by Furious1Auto

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I am browsing the Flex website looking at standard options on the trim levels and on the SEL AWD model it states a 6-way heated power seat is std for the passenger, WHAT is a 6-way power seat? Is that just up/down forward/backwards with power tilt?? No independent tilt functions like on a 8-way seat?

So I am browsing the Flex website looking at standard options on the trim levels and on the SEL AWD model it states a 6-way heated power seat is std for the passenger, WHAT is a 6-way power seat? Is that just up/down forward/backwards with power tilt?? No independent tilt functions like on a 8-way seat?

6 way power seat usually has the same cushion functions as an 8 w/ manual recline.

I though power recline made it a 10 way seat? And power headrests make it a 12.

Sometimes 8 way is power lumbar, sometimes (usually I believe) power recline. 10 way usually has power lumbar as well as power recline. Power headrests do make 12. I'm not sure what the 16 and 32 way do though.

A normal 6 way power seat goes forward, and the front and back tilt up and down.

Sometimes 8 way is power lumbar, sometimes (usually I believe) power recline. 10 way usually has power lumbar as well as power recline. Power headrests do make 12. I'm not sure what the 16 and 32 way do though.

A normal 6 way power seat goes forward and backward, and the front and back tilt up and down.

You're right about the 6 way, that's how it is in our Expedition and F-150.

I've thought out the 32 way power seat (actually I believe I have 34 way thought out), but I'm not even going to try to describe that. I drew a picture, maybe I'll scan it in to show you instead of explaining.

Are those actual size?

They might be. I have no idea. The problem with "actual" size on a picture is that everything is going to appear a different size depending on the size of your screen and how many pixels you're pushing. I run a 21" widescreen with a 1680x1050 resolution and they look just slightly smaller on this resolution. When I drop it down to 800x600 (which look horrendous since it isn't native), it looks like Attack of the Killer Nasal Splints. Regardless, they are huge ...

They might be. I have no idea. The problem with "actual" size on a picture is that everything is going to appear a different size depending on the size of your screen and how many pixels you're pushing. I run a 21" widescreen with a 1680x1050 resolution and they look just slightly smaller on this resolution. When I drop it down to 800x600 (which look horrendous since it isn't native), it looks like Attack of the Killer Nasal Splints. Regardless, they are huge ...

That's true, didn't think of that.

Isn't that one of the main reasons why there's been no drastic update for the Econoline in many years....contractors, etc. that install aftermarket interior storage shelves, etc. have been using the Econoline forever and Ford doesn't want to lose business by changing dimensions, causing them to have to change their tooling.

I had a flooring business and had over 10 Econolines over the years(not to mention all of the ones my crews and other friends in the business had). You pull up to the warehouse in the morning and there's about 45 Econonlines, 8 chevy/gmcs(half with one of the rear plastic quarter inserts with big chunks broken out of them), and that one dodge guy. I never felt any need to change anything. Dropping off a pallet of grout and some 1/4 round on a job site, I never stopped and looked at the truck thinking 'hmmm I wish it had a pushbutton start and come cool halo headlights'... Yea, you buy a new one, and bolt your custom racks you've used for years right in it and its just like your trusty old last truck.

Edited by kevinb120

OK I appreciate that the styling may be more appropriate to US tastes than Euro taste's but I'm really struggling to undertstand why Ford didn't just make a US version of the S-Max, which seems to be a similar price:

http://www.ford.co.uk/ie/smax/-/-/-/-/-/-

What's the point of the Flex? I know it's only intented to be niche, but if that's the case why polarise opinion by making a car that clearly offends some people's tastes so much? It's probably development money that would have been better spent on something like a 5 door Ford Mustang.

As I say maybe I'm unable to see this through US eyes? Can someone explain why this car is a better choice than a US version of the S-Max?

OK I appreciate that the styling may be more appropriate to US tastes than Euro taste's but I'm really struggling to undertstand why Ford didn't just make a US version of the S-Max, which seems to be a similar price:

http://www.ford.co.uk/ie/smax/-/-/-/-/-/-

What's the point of the Flex? I know it's only intented to be niche, but if that's the case why polarise opinion by making a car that clearly offends some people's tastes so much? It's probably development money that would have been better spent on something like a 5 door Ford Mustang.

As I say maybe I'm unable to see this through US eyes? Can someone explain why this car is a better choice than a US version of the S-Max?

A 5-door Mustang? I hope you're joking, at least about the Mustang part.

Well, based on the fact that I live in the US, I've never seen (in person) or been in an S-Max, so I don't know what that vehicle is like. Also, the Flex was on a rotating stand when I saw it, so I haven't been in it either, so I'm probably not the best person to try to explain differences, etc.

A 5-door Mustang? I hope you're joking, at least about the Mustang part.

Well, based on the fact that I live in the US, I've never seen (in person) or been in an S-Max, so I don't know what that vehicle is like. Also, the Flex was on a rotating stand when I saw it, so I haven't been in it either, so I'm probably not the best person to try to explain differences, etc.

Yes but what I mean is why go for a design like the flex, which is very risky when the S-MAX is so much more in vogue? Does the Flex have some kind of unique appeal over something more conventional in size and shape like the Chrysler Voyager? I just don't get the Flex...

Yes but what I mean is why go for a design like the flex, which is very risky when the S-MAX is so much more in vogue? Does the Flex have some kind of unique appeal over something more conventional in size and shape like the Chrysler Voyager? I just don't get the Flex...

If you don't get that a crossover has more appeal than a minivan in NA, then you need to go sit in the corner and think about what you've said.

Edited by suv_guy_19

As suv_guy said, it's MUCH better looking than a minivan (I don't really like the new Chrysler/Dodge offerings either, they look to low to the ground in the back or something; Honda uglified the back end of the Odyssey w/ it's MCE, the Sienna isn't exactly a looker (no offense to those on here who own one), Kia/Hyundai's are interesting)

The Flex looks great in person. I'd buy one, ESPECIALLY over a minivan.

Edited by rmc523

As suv_guy said, it's MUCH better looking than a minivan (I don't really like the new Chrysler/Dodge offerings either, they look to low to the ground in the back or something; Honda uglified the back end of the Odyssey w/ it's MCE, the Sienna isn't exactly a looker (no offense to those on here who own one), Kia/Hyundai's are interesting)

The Flex looks great in person. I'd buy one, ESPECIALLY over a minivan.

THIS consumer has a Sienna. (Believe me, looks were not in the purchase equation!)

THIS consumer will be wanting a smaller, more economic, better handling & more stylish replacement in the near future. The Taurus was OK but I'll still need the occasional extra seats and the Taurus X is too big for my garage. The Flex is DEFINITELY on my radar! (And I like that slinky urban cruiser look too).

THIS consumer has a Sienna. (Believe me, looks were not in the purchase equation!)

THIS consumer will be wanting a smaller, more economic, better handling & more stylish replacement in the near future. The Taurus was OK but I'll still need the occasional extra seats and the Taurus X is too big for my garage. The Flex is DEFINITELY on my radar! (And I like that slinky urban cruiser look too).

The Flex will probably be too big for your garage as well as its bigger than the Taurus X.

That's why I said no offense to those who own one, I knew several posters have a Sienna.

As suv_guy said, Flex is bigger than Taurus X, so I guess you have a few options: either look at another, smaller Ford product, or get the Flex anyways and park it outside (which I wouldn't like doing either).

I know I'm in a minority but....The Flex looks perfect to me. My family always keeps an Explorer around to haul stuff....usually several bicycles inside with seats in place with front wheels removed and attached there. Or for the HD and Loews trips. We go on a lot of trips and always haul bikes and other stuff when we go. (bikes are way too valuable to haul on outside) The Expidition is too big and thirsty for us. The Edge and MKX has no room, they just looks large. Taurus X not tall enough inside. Minivans are too passenger oriented for our use. I'm sure we will eventually buy the Flex.

What I would really prefer is a diesel Explorer/Mountainer. These are perfect size for our use. Again....I understand our use is not the majority. We haul stuf we don't want in a open pickup bed. I guess we could just get a diesel F150 with shell over bed.

I also believe there are a lot of folks just like us and our needs.

Edited by Ralph Greene

The S-Max competes with Mercedes.

The Ford xB competes with Scion.

America wouldn't know what to do with a well thought vehicle like the S-Max. A "Minivan" with dual exhaust, very good driving dynamics, and a Turbo are all things that we crazy Americans want no part of.

Is Mazda getting a Ford xB? Because they are getting the S-Max.

The S-Max competes with Mercedes.

The Ford xB competes with Scion.

America wouldn't know what to do with a well thought vehicle like the S-Max. A "Minivan" with dual exhaust, very good driving dynamics, and a Turbo are all things that we crazy Americans want no part of.

Is Mazda getting a Ford xB? Because they are getting the S-Max.

I hardly think xB customers are going to look at a Flex, while possible, I think it's unlikely. (mainly b/c of the price difference)

What Mazda S-Max are you talking about? the CX-9?

America gets the Edge. It doesn't have the S-Max's useless +2 3rd row seating, and Americans like it just fine.

Has dual exhaust too.

Not that this matters much. True dual exhausts on a 4-cylinder would be worse than useless, as they would hamper the partial vacuum which improves the efficiency of a 4-cylinder engine (reason #3 for the flat-plane crank on the DFV, and the reason why Ford's GT40 V8 exhausts were so convoluted, and why on the Ford Indy V8 they exited from the crankshaft valley).

Of course, you knew all that about how dual exhausts after the muffler are pretty much just for show, and how dual exhausts are counter productive on a 4-cylinder, right?

Edited by RichardJensen