2008 Ford Verve Concept

suv_guy_19

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe in the American worker. In my state, and in the rest of the countries future, we are looking at a recession. Is it a coincidence that this happened after "outsourcing" became a fad?
Possibly. I think the fact that people can't depend on their ranch-style piggy banks to finance their new 50" plasma TVs and stainless steel kitchen appliances and decks the size of Madagascar and yes...new cars, is a bigger reason. Consumer spending, last time I checked, was 70% of our economy. Once everyone realizes that it's unsustainable to put yourself that much further in debt every year and stops swiping the plastic......oooh, boy.

Back to the Verve. I do like the styling, but I can't help but wonder how practical it will be, especially if we don't get the hatches. Cars this small really need a hatch variant. Of course, I think the same thing about compacts, but no one has one except Dodge...and they don't have a sedan, which is worse.

Edited by CarShark

Its really nice. I still can't get a correct perspective for its size. It looks much bigger than what people are saying.

It also looks way more expensive than the competition in its class. This will compete with an Aveo??

I like the red-walls on the tires as well.

I thought the same thing but the report that came with the photo's explains it

Auto Blogs says....

"Ford's Verve Sedan concept rappelled to the ground in a smoky haze here in Detroit and the four-door concept proved to be a bit more squat, and less dynamic, in person. The Kinetic design language melds well with the compact sedan, looking more like a Mondeo at 2/3rds scale, which isn't a bad thing. But we're hoping for something a bit more sporting (like it's little brother that ran around the stage) and the Verve didn't quite deliver."

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/13/detroit...ally-in-d-town/

I'd buy a car from China if it were designed, developed and produced by one of the Big 2.5 (so no Chery developed or strictly JV developed cars). All the profits come right back to Detroit. We're just exploiting the Chinese for their cheap labor - not helping them in any particular way.

How's that for national pride?

We're helping them build anti-satelite weapons and more with our bucks.

I have a Ford Focus. The turn signal and wiper stalks are separate. What Fords aren't like this?

Did not realize the current focus has two stalks. But the majority all have one stalk. Just drives me nuts-like being able to just pull the lever to have one pass-not turn it on and off like I do now.

Plus the stalk to me is a little short-compared to my volvo it is probably at least an inch shorter.

But we're hoping for something a bit more sporting (like it's little brother that ran around the stage) and the Verve didn't quite deliver."

You just can't please them all the time. This is one of the nicest Ford products to ever sit on a stage. I think the thing delivers just fine.

Its really nice. I still can't get a correct perspective for its size. It looks much bigger than what people are saying.

It also looks way more expensive than the competition in its class. This will compete with an Aveo??

I like the red-walls on the tires as well.

If it's really the size of an outgoing Fiesta, then it's about the same size as the Yaris sedan or hatch, only lower.

Keep in mind it's a concept, much of the brightwork and fancy bits will be gone in the production car.

You just can't please them all the time. This is one of the nicest Ford products to ever sit on a stage. I think the thing delivers just fine.

I agree, so its looks like you will be getting the scaled down 2/3 sized Mondeo in the US

verve_4_live_14.jpg

We will be getting the sporting little number in Europe as a Fiesta, that was running around the stage is this correct?

verve_4_live_02.jpg

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

We will be getting the sporting little number in Europe as a Fiesta, that was running around the stage is this correct?

I think the 4 door looks much better than I could have ever imagined. Back when the idea of the car was brought up, Ford indicated that North America will get a 4 door. This was rather disappointing as that usually means the design will be toned down considerably to accomodate the extra doors and being that the car is so small, the designers will be limited in what they can do. I remember when photos of the Focus hatchbacks first came out and how incredible they looked in comparison to the 4 door.

However, its quite a looker I have to say. Nothing disappointing about it at all.

Then again, I love the 3 door too. I hope Ford offers it in NA as well.

Except that the concept's flush-fit door window tech would probably add $1000+ to the cost.

The Zephyr concept was like that, but the production model got framed door windows, just like the Fusion. In the case of the Zephyr/MKZ, they should have spent the money, IMHO, because it would have added a "sparkle" to the overall fit-and-finish.

Edited by Edstock

Except that the concept's flush-fit door window tech would probably add $1000+ to the cost.

I hope they keep them - its one of the nicest features on it.

When the first-generation Neon came out, Chrysler didn't do away with the flush fit windows and they supposedly made money on the car (mind you, pretty much everything else on the car caused problems but thats a different subject altogether....).

OT: went to answer this thread and got the grey screen that says "This Account Has Exceeded Its CPU Quota " - does anyone else get this periodically on this site?

Last night I couldn't get onto this site at around 10:00 pm EST. Is it because there are too many users online?

OT: went to answer this thread and got the grey screen that says "This Account Has Exceeded Its CPU Quota " - does anyone else get this periodically on this site?

Last night I couldn't get onto this site at around 10:00 pm EST. Is it because there are too many users online?

It happens from time to time.