Lincoln MKT Touring Vehicle Concept

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah? Well Lincoln still sucks....!!!

BTW, folks, you are looking at the Town Car replacement. Well, that is, if you click on the link.

Or better yet, get it straight from the horse's mouth....

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=27500

Clicking on a Motor Trend link is more like getting it from the horse's ..... well, not exactly mouth, as such, but still very much involved in food processing.....

And now you're looking at the Town Car replacement...

FRD2008011384244_PV.jpg

Personally, I think there's one character line too many on the side--either keep the '67 Conti inspired second shoulder line or keep the fin extending from the fender vent--not both.

But on the whole, big points to Lincoln for keeping this a 2 row vehicle. There is something decidedly un-luxurious about clambering into the 3rd row of a crossover, and, hence, having a 3rd row in the first place. Having a 3rd row should, IMO, be optional------

So they have the MKX and the MKT now? Morons.

And are you fucking kidding me? It looks like an ugly MKS with a hatch.

Edit: Oh fuck, it uses SABIC plastics, they're the worst petrochemical company ever. Screw you Ford for using Terrorist plastics.

Edited by LincolnFan

I think it is awesome! It certainly makes a unique styling statement and will take all the attention of the Buick Enclave for sure...

You forgot the "</sarcasm>" tag.

Take that grille out, and if this monstrosity had a Toyota badge on it, you people would be roasting it by now.

Trust me, GM is smiling right now. This thing just assured more Lambda sales.

Edited by pcsario

anyone care to chop it? i cant see them adding another 6 inches to the back for a proper bumper. the overhang already looks too big. i can see if possibly if they left it the same overall length, but moved the hatch inward about 4 - 6 inches. .

the main issue with the upper quarter panel crease/C pillar area is that i just dont care for how it leaves a very large empty quarter panel. I can see how that roofline and upper quarter can work on a sedan, but it doesnt look right here. it does remind me of the Continental or the MarkIIIs, but its not working for such a tall vehicle.

Yeah, love that "anyone could photoshop a bumper."

Because once you own a copy of Photoshop, you're automatically a qualified designer of anything.

There are two issues here: 1) The second link PC posted is taken with a short focal length lens. This is one of MANY flaws with Ford's press photography. Someone told someone once upon a time that using a short focal lens makes things dynamic (or some other line of pure malarkey), and they have just gone to town with it at Ford. How that relates to this: The rear overhang is NOT excessive by any stretch, however, the overhang in the second posted pic looks awful because of the angle and the focal length.

2) You -expect- a bumper; it provides one of the cues by which you 'finish' the rear end of the car, sometimes designers can get by without them (Ferraris, for instance), but this design definitely requires an 'end' that is more substantial than the ridge in the rear fascia. I absolutely guarantee that a properly designed bumper sticking out probably 2-3" would a) eliminate some of the appearance of excessive rear overhang and b) the sense that the rear quarters are 'unfinished' or 'plain'.

Yeah, love that "anyone could photoshop a bumper."

And I love the "bububu blame the lens/camera cry.gif" spin.

You assume a regular bumper would "fix" the design. You're kidding yourself. (Edit: Already altering the proportions? lol)

The MKR also had that bumper and so did plenty other concepts from Lincoln, so no, spin #2 won't work either.

Edited by pcsario

here i half assed it. i didnt put a bumper on, i sank the hatch inward. i tried it with the extended bumper and i didnt like it at all.

What you have to do, and what I have no patience to attempt, is to integrate (and Ford will do this) the shoulder line with the shape of the rear bumper. Right now the shoulder line merges into the bumper ridge, and you've eliminated that continuity of line. That's one of the reasons why it doesn't look quite right.

It would be exceptionally difficult to photoshop, but if you took the shoulder line and merged it into the cutout for the hatch in the rear bumper you would, IMO, get a more complex and yet visually satisfying resolution.

In this scenario, the hatch would indeed be set in a couple inches, but rather than having the bumper jut out as you've shown, the bumper's cut lines would merge with the character lines on the sides of the vehicle. Also you would have side markers (another missing element that makes the vehicle look unfinished).

mkt18.jpg

mkt23.jpg

The production bumpers will no doubt resemble that. It's pointless to keep pushing that excuse.

That's a look/approach Ford has been considering for Lincoln for a while.

Like I said the MKR also had it, and so did plenty other concepts from them, the designs worked.

This was just a poorly executed idea that should've stayed on whatever napkin it was penciled first.

Edited by pcsario

What you have to do, and what I have no patience to attempt, is to integrate (and Ford will do this) the shoulder line with the shape of the rear bumper. Right now the shoulder line merges into the bumper ridge, and you've eliminated that continuity of line. That's one of the reasons why it doesn't look quite right.

It would be exceptionally difficult to photoshop, but if you took the shoulder line and merged it into the cutout for the hatch in the rear bumper you would, IMO, get a more complex and yet visually satisfying resolution.

In this scenario, the hatch would indeed be set in a couple inches, but rather than having the bumper jut out as you've shown, the bumper's cut lines would merge with the character lines on the sides of the vehicle. Also you would have side markers (another missing element that makes the vehicle look unfinished).

maybe RMC (?) or Timm66 can do it. its midnight here and i should have been asleep already and they are better at this than i am too. Its not so much that the rear looks unfinished, its that the overhang looks too long as is, and i cant see another 4 or 5 inches hanging off of there. If they kept it the same length but sank in the hatch i could see how it might clean it up a bit. I do get what you are saying with the bumper (once again, hack photoshop skills here) but i still dont think it will look right. Looks are subjective though so i stand by my opinion that the back 1/3 looks like ass. the front is decent and the sides are decent until about a foot ahead of the C pillar. a MarkIII rear roofline just doesnt look right on a CUV IMO.

Oh of course it'll be different, it is a concept after all.

Lincoln_MKS_Concept_exrrdrvr34.jpg

Thing is, the MKS concept didn't change that much in production form, so I guess spin #3 won't do it either.

MKR, MK9, the production-ready Mark X concept, etc. also went with the sloppy bumper theme.

Horbury liked --and is seriosly considering-- that look for Lincoln rear ends, you better start getting used to them.

Edited by pcsario