Lincoln MKT Touring Vehicle Concept

Well, upon closer examination of all the trim lines, I'll say the front end of the base models and FX4 don't look too shabby. The mass amounts of chrome on the nose of the XLT, Lariat, KR, and Platinum are just too much though -- call it Navigatoritis if you will. The ribs on the tailgate look out of place also. I also can't stand the tail lights. Ick.

I agree Nick....its VERY un-adventurous, BUT I am hoping like most , that the Photos suck and its better in the metal.....

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree Nick....its VERY un-adventurous, BUT I am hoping like most , that the Photos suck and its better in the metal.....

I don't know. The photography in the demo on Ford's website looks pretty good. I just think the amount of chrome (in particular how high it goes up the hood) that looks odd. The lower trim models and FX4 have body-colored grille surrounds that get rid of that, which is why I think they look a bit better.

Yeah? Well Lincoln still sucks....!!!

BTW, folks, you are looking at the Town Car replacement. Well, that is, if you click on the link.

Or better yet, get it straight from the horse's mouth....

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=27500

Clicking on a Motor Trend link is more like getting it from the horse's ..... well, not exactly mouth, as such, but still very much involved in food processing.....

Show me where it says that this is the TC replacement.

Thank God this is just a concept. It is like Ford is trying to go bankrupt.

Show me where it says that this is the TC replacement.

Thank God this is just a concept. It is like Ford is trying to go bankrupt.

It's a Town Car replacement on SOME level. Two rows of seats. Cavernous interior. Plenty of storage. It has potential, but I'm not thrilled with it in concept form.

No, if Ford was trying to go bankrupt, they'd just keep selling the Town Car as is for another 20 years.

Why is this the TC replacement? Because the press release clearly and repeatedly makes reference to its usefulness as executive transport

that could as easily accommodate a businessperson slipping into the back seat on the way to his or her next meeting in the chaos of Manhattan

A substantial C-pillar creates an aura of privacy for the rear occupants. Like limousines, the MKT cuts an interesting profile – long, low and comfortably wide.

Also, the TC replacement does not need to be a sedan.

Finally, here's a chop of a more production ready bumper/decklid.

post-15194-1200337370_thumb.jpg

That's what I thought...but the almighty RJ said that this is the TC replacement and provided a link to Ford to prove it. dunno.gif

all i can say is ?.....can't see it as a direct repalcement, just an alternative, STILL a need for a full size sedan.....sedans and X-overs appeal to different drivers..

The press release makes it sound like a luxury flagship that could easily succeed the Town Car:

Drivers and passengers alike will appreciate the Lincoln MKT concept’s spaciousness – right down to the seats that mirror those found in first-class aircraft cabins. Four executive-sized chairs offer comfort and unprecedented leg room. As an added pleasure, second-row heated and cooled thigh supports deploy from under the seats, while footrests deploy rearward from the front seats, allowing passengers to fully recline.

“We envisioned this concept as a modern grand tourer, really a Learjet of the road,” said Peter Horbury, executive director of Design, The Americas. “With the Lincoln MKT concept, you find a premium utility that could as easily accommodate a businessperson slipping into the back seat on the way to his or her next meeting in the chaos of Manhattan as a family packed up for a weekend getaway to the coast.”

MKS + MKT = Town Car replacement and then some.

I see your point, I think "maybe" would be a more correct assumption...there is still a market for a full size sedan....this MKT screams cross-over, and the MKs is one notch down from the TC size wise ( at least PERCEIVED size )

Why is this the TC replacement? Because the press release clearly and repeatedly makes reference to its usefulness as executive transport

Also, the TC replacement does not need to be a sedan.

Finally, here's a chop of a more production ready bumper/decklid.

Ok...so Ford has not said it will be a replacement, you are just jumping to conclusions.

I see your point, I think "maybe" would be a more correct assumption...there is still a market for a full size sedan....this MKT screams cross-over, and the MKs is one notch down from the TC size wise ( at least PERCEIVED size )

MKS is not one notch down from the standard length TC, it's as capacious inside, if not as long (it's taller). For the TC - L, the MKT should suffice.

I thought Ford needed a sedan larger than the MKS for executive transport, etc., and then when I saw this it all clicked into place; -this- is the 'extended length' MKS type vehicle, and my thinking is it will make people forget the Town Car ever existed.

Ok...so Ford has not said it will be a replacement, you are just jumping to conclusions.

WHAT? You think the Town Car is going to continue on forever? Or that it will be replaced by another RWD BOF vehicle?

What is -your- take on the Town Car's future?

Or do you think that a smallish GRWD sedan selling in the MKZ/MKS price range will be the Town Car successor? Because I can tell you straight up that there will be NO GRWD based $50-60k Lincoln sedan.

Why?

Because contrary to frequent assertions here, Ford is not staffed entirely by idiots.

MKS is not one notch down from the standard length TC, it's as capacious inside, if not as long (it's taller). For the TC - L, the MKT should suffice.

I thought Ford needed a sedan larger than the MKS for executive transport, etc., and then when I saw this it all clicked into place; -this- is the 'extended length' MKS type vehicle, and my thinking is it will make people forget the Town Car ever existed.

possibly....some of the "older" clientel may not be so easily convinced....LOL! Which raises the question...does Ford really NEED an STS competitor ( is it Sts or Sls....ok, lets just go with Caddys largest sedan )

And you can hear Mark Fields all over announcing it with new fanfare. Gee... I'm somewhat surprised they haven't come out with a Lincoln "MKF" yet! (Mark Fields edition)

You know this alphanumeric shit that all the car companies use now is getting outta hand and needs to be kaboshed like RIGHT NOW!

I agree. this would have been a great place to end the MK___ nonsense.

Overall I like the concept. It's distinctive and very luxurious. Obviously, it won't make production as is. I can't imagine what the glass for the windshield/roof must cost. It has all the right cues to make a nice production model. I also like the kick-up on the rear doors. It's a good Lincoln heritage accent to the '61-'65 Continentals.

possibly....some of the "older" clientel may not be so easily convinced....LOL! Which raises the question...does Ford really NEED an STS competitor ( is it Sts or Sls....ok, lets just go with Caddys largest sedan )

Well, the MKS is definitely larger than the CTS, and it starts out with a higher price than the CTS, and since Cadillac is axing the STS & apparently the SRX, then ...........

Does Ford need a sedan larger than the MKS?

I would argue that this MKT will appeal to a broader audience and sell in higher numbers than a sedan slotted above the MKS.

I was really concerned about this concept because of how poorly 6-passenger luxury CUVs have gone over. That's why I'm glad they kept the concept a 4 seater. However, I think an option of an extra 2 or 3 seats should be available (no reason not to cover all the bases).

This definitely has possibilities--it is perhaps the perfect vehicle for establishing Lincoln's status as the premier -luxury- brand among the various luxury brands (note, "luxury" as in luxurious as opposed to "luxury" as in expensive).

Well, the MKS is definitely larger than the CTS, and it starts out with a higher price than the CTS, and since Cadillac is axing the STS & apparently the SRX, then ...........

Does Ford need a sedan larger than the MKS?

I would argue that this MKT will appeal to a broader audience and sell in higher numbers than a sedan slotted above the MKS.

I was really concerned about this concept because of how poorly 6-passenger luxury CUVs have gone over. That's why I'm glad they kept the concept a 4 seater. However, I think an option of an extra 2 or 3 seats should be available (no reason not to cover all the bases).

This definitely has possibilities--it is perhaps the perfect vehicle for establishing Lincoln's status as the premier -luxury- brand among the various luxury brands (note, "luxury" as in luxurious as opposed to "luxury" as in expensive).

you may be right....will be interesting for sure....funny how practicality and common sense seems to be squeezing out land whales and how they are perceived....( like i said though....perhaps ) but I still see a lot of 7 series BMW;s and LARGE S class benzs.....