Dodge Challenger spied undisguised

rmc523

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

88 5.0, 300 tweeked HP, 5 speed, 3.55's......27 back from Vegas 80 plus 99% of the way......

A much lighter car at that...an LX could come in at under 3000 IIRC

I was just thinking about my old GT and my new one...I think I get about a MPG or two less then the 98 GT in the 06 GT doing the same driving...but I have 3.55 gears in the 06 and alot more power vs 215 and 3.27 gears in the 98 GT

A much lighter car at that...an LX could come in at under 3000 IIRC

I was just thinking about my old GT and my new one...I think I get about a MPG or two less then the 98 GT in the 06 GT doing the same driving...but I have 3.55 gears in the 06 and alot more power vs 215 and 3.27 gears in the 98 GT

car was great would pull to redline in 5th ( police ECU )...estimated 145 mph ( based on RPM's as speedo only went to 85 I think ) ...can't do that going to vegas anymore....

What are you talking about? at GT500? I get about 19.5 with my GT

351cid, the fact is that Mustang is rated at 15 /23 and I know several guys who own 2005 and newer GT's and low and behold they all tell me that "Yep, I get about 15 to 16 around town."

Then I come to BON website, LOL, where amazingly enough everyone with a GT is getting 19 and 20 mpg around town. Whatever.

It's not that it's not possible, its just that the only way to get that is to grandma the car around town and by God if you can grandma a Mustang then you can grandma a Challenger and get better then 14 mpg can't you. The goose and the gander ford boys.

351cid, the fact is that Mustang is rated at 15 /23 and I know several guys who own 2005 and newer GT's and low and behold they all tell me that "Yep, I get about 15 to 16 around town."

Then I come to BON website, LOL, where amazingly enough everyone with a GT is getting 19 and 20 mpg around town. Whatever.

It's not that it's not possible, its just that the only way to get that is to grandma the car around town and by God if you can grandma a Mustang then you can grandma a Challenger and get better then 14 mpg can't you. The goose and the gander ford boys.

personally round town mileage is speculative to say the least.....which city, any hills, how many stop lights, how long is one stuck AT a light, are you stuck behind a brake tapping Prius etc etc etc....

Edited by Deanh

personally round town mileage is speculative to say the least.....which city, any hills, how many stop lights, how long is one stuck AT a light, are you stuck behind a brake tapping Prius etc etc etc....

All true, until you get to BON where every mustang GT regardless of driving conditions is getting at least 5 to 6 mpg better than the EPA ratings. LOL

Edited by BlackHorse

Exactly. The neon surround was pretty cool too, but probably against some law or safety reg or something.....too bad.

Why would neon taillights be illegal? They were used on the BMW Z8.

They're ridiculously expensive though. IIRC, they're like $1000+ per taillight (on the Z8).

Edited by rmc523

Nice job Chrysler. Really nice job. I don't have particularly fond memories of High School, yet those photos connect up with fond memories that I don't even have.

Antaus, what the hell'd you have for breakfast? Oh yeah.... you're the one that liked the catfish Taurus.... May not bring Chrysler back sales-wise, but it just might help them go out with a bang.

That's incorrect, you must have me confused with someone else on the catfish Taurus. Again, styling is subjective, dont be offended if people do not agree with your assessment, don't take it personal. And yes, I'm seeing others opinions that they like it and thats great, but I find it Almost Az-tec like, in love-ability...again, my opinion...

Or, maybe, just maybe, silversvt's quoting his average mpg? At no point in his post did he say "around town", those are your words. So, let's pretend he's driving, say, 50% city and 50% highway/cruising. He oughta be getting... hmm.. 15 + 23... divide by 2... Oh! somewhere around 19 mpg! What a shock!

:P

That's incorrect, you must have me confused with someone else on the catfish Taurus. Again, styling is subjective, dont be offended if people do not agree with your assessment, don't take it personal. And yes, I'm seeing others opinions that they like it and thats great, but I find it Almost Az-tec like, in love-ability...again, my opinion...

Apologies. So, who was that who had the thing for catfish Tauri anyway? Do you remember?

Re the Challenger, yes I do like it a lot. I will not be in the market for one: I had my midlife crisis already (and am still driving and paying for it), and I agree with someone who pointed out that this may be a replay of the early '70s in more ways than one: Chrysler may have the right product at the wrong time, with rising consciousness of ecological and geopolitical imperatives taking the wind out of the market for cars of this type.

Or, maybe, just maybe, silversvt's quoting his average mpg? At no point in his post did he say "around town", those are your words. So, let's pretend he's driving, say, 50% city and 50% highway/cruising. He oughta be getting... hmm.. 15 + 23... divide by 2... Oh! somewhere around 19 mpg! What a shock!

:P

Anything is possible. All I'm pointing out is that there's been plenty of times around this message forum when a Mustang GT owner has claimed to be getting well above the EPA numbers around town. I don't believe them.

All true, until you get to BON where every mustang GT regardless of driving conditions is getting at least 5 to 6 mpg better than the EPA ratings. LOL

No you got it confused, its the Panthers owners claiming to get well above the EPA MPG stats that are put out...I saw some idiot claim he could get 23/30 MPG in his Town Car! :hysterical::hysterical:

Anyways, the number I gave is my avg drive into work, and yes if your doing lots of stop and go driving it will go down to 16 MPG and go up to about 22-24 MPG out on the highway...just like the sticker says! :hysterical:

I had my midlife crisis already (and am still driving and paying for it)

Hear you on that one! One more year and I will actually own the Thunderbird. :ohsnap:

Challenger is a nice car - much better than the upcoming Crapmaro IMHO. But I would still choose a Mustang over it if I were in the market. Especially if the upcoming refresh is closer to the Giugiaro concept.

Edited by 96 Pony

Hear you on that one! One more year and I will actually own the Thunderbird. :ohsnap:

Challenger is a nice car - much better than the upcoming Crapmaro IMHO. But I would still choose a Mustang over it if I were in the market. Especially if the upcoming refresh is closer to the Giugiaro concept.

I liked the Giugiaro concept as well. The only thing I didn't like about it was the taillights (and the interior was a little over the top, but it was a concept).

I like the Challenger's production taillights better than the concept. They're a bit more toned down with the car. The neon light across the back would have detracted from the retro theme, in my opinion. I wish there was some production interior pics around.

I can't imagine the interior would differ too much from the concept's. It seemed pretty close to production ready.

post-28332-1200806168_thumb.jpg

post-28332-1200806262_thumb.jpg

Barrett- Jackson tonight (Saturday night) that was around 11:00pm they had a 2008 Challenger bright orange and it looked good, other than those 5 spoke wheels on 20" and the full tail lights, but they light up really nice. Really going to be a nice car, if Dodge dealers don't rape the customers on price mark ups...Also think Dodge could of went with a V-6 and the 5.7 L Hemi vs the SRT8 engine, they noted the selling price would be around $37,000.00 at dealer prices, again hold on for dealer mark up.

I wonder if one could go onto BJ website and see tonights reveal of the new 2008 Challenger..?? :headscratch:

Barrett- Jackson tonight (Saturday night) that was around 11:00pm they had a 2008 Challenger bright orange and it looked good, other than those 5 spoke wheels on 20" and the full tail lights, but they light up really nice. Really going to be a nice car, if Dodge dealers don't rape the customers on price mark ups...Also think Dodge could of went with a V-6 and the 5.7 L Hemi vs the SRT8 engine, they noted the selling price would be around $37,000.00 at dealer prices, again hold on for dealer mark up.

I wonder if one could go onto BJ website and see tonights reveal of the new 2008 Challenger..?? :headscratch:

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application..._LotNumber=1331

They're just the pictures Chrysler released a while back.

Unfortunately, I wasn't watching at that time.

Edited by rmc523