Hauling a 5th wheel Camper

GreyPony

For some time now we have been looking at getting an F150 and a 5th wheel Camper. It's a gimmie that if we go ahead and do it, it will be the F150. Now this just got me thinking, with all that brute strength and super strong frame "insert sarcasm here", how would the Tundra hold up? :shades:

For some time now we have been looking at getting an F150 and a 5th wheel Camper. It's a gimmie that if we go ahead and do it, it will be the F150. Now this just got me thinking, with all that brute strength and super strong frame "insert sarcasm here", how would the Tundra hold up? :shades:

The Tundra might do this:

27Jun05Mo0007A.jpg

without being a Toyota defender, probably as well as any half-ton (Ford, Chev, Dodge) made in the past 20 years.

without being a Toyota defender, probably as well as any half-ton (Ford, Chev, Dodge) made in the past 20 years.

dunno J...have you seen the videos of the Tundra bed doing the Hula on the torture track? Almost looks a breakdancer under a strobe light.....

I agree.

Actually....Any load where a 5th wheel is needed/advantageous, maybe you should consider a F 250.

A friend and myself used a Power stroke F 250 to pull a 10,000 lb trailer to Alaska a couple years ago. Glad we had the tougher stronger F 250.

I agree.

Actually....Any load where a 5th wheel is needed/advantageous, maybe you should consider a F 250.

A friend and myself used a Power stroke F 250 to pull a 10,000 lb trailer to Alaska a couple years ago. Glad we had the tougher stronger F 250.

But an F-150 could have pulled it...according to Ford.

But an F-150 could have pulled it...according to Ford.

Fifth wheel probably not a problem...wouldn't be the speedisest trip but hey....the alternative is the Superdutys, V10 or Diesel...THATS a reason ( towing ) that they make bigger trucks with bigger engines P...weird huh? stop being an a$$ and turning every thread you visit into an argument............

Edited by Deanh

Fifth wheel probably not a problem...wouldn't be the speedisest trip but hey....the alternative is the Superdutys, V10 or Diesel...THATS a reason ( towing ) that they make bigger trucks with bigger engines P...weird huh? stop being an a$$ and turning every thread you visit into an argument............

Thats my whole point. suv_guy and the rest of the :cheerleader: are always blabbing about the F-150 can tow 11K pounds and haul the most shit when in all actuality if you have 10K or 11K to tow...you are going to buy a bigger truck. Not some slug of a 1/2 ton.

Thats my whole point. suv_guy and the rest of the :cheerleader: are always blabbing about the F-150 can tow 11K pounds and haul the most shit when in all actuality if you have 10K or 11K to tow...you are going to buy a bigger truck. Not some slug of a 1/2 ton.

news for you it can...IN COMPARISON WITH THE OTHER 1/2 TON COMPETITORS! come on p, give it a rest, ANYONE with common sense knows to tow that weight with any particular ease one needs to step up engine size and thus ratings above the 1/2 ton parameter.....ANYONE!

dunno J...have you seen the videos of the Tundra bed doing the Hula on the torture track? Almost looks a breakdancer under a strobe light.....

Oh yeah, I've seen that. And any truck other than the 2004+ F150 would have the same Hula results.

Ford upped the ante with its stiffened frame in '04, but every other truck iof the past 20 years (including pre-2004 F150s) had similar frames.

As with the Titan, Toyota benchmarked against an older model. Not what Ford would be redesigning.

I agree.

I agree 100%.

It's not about what the truck can pull. It's about what it can stop. What it can haul without overheating (including tranny). What it can haul without long term damage to the frame and suspension.

So yeah, an upgrade to a heavier truck makes the most sense.

Will be interesting to see what the toy frames look like 30-40 years from now.

Toy's current frame looks a bit smaller in cross section (mostly height) than what

my 70's 1/2 ton fords have. Metallurgy has come a long way, but if I had to pick

either a current 150 or Tundra to tow heavy loads often, I'd rather have the beefier frame.

The 150 may be slower, but it's frame won't flinch doing it the 1000th time, not sure I believe

that of the Toy. Always easier to add power than to fix a crappy frame.

I have seen pictures and there are several (many ?) complaints filed with NHSTA about Tundra suffering sheet metal damage (typically the tailgate getting pinched against the side of the box) because of excessive fame flex.

Perhaps you should join the Tundra Solutions Forum or check out the petition to Toyota complaining about tailgate failures

I agree 100%.

It's not about what the truck can pull. It's about what it can stop. What it can haul without overheating (including tranny). What it can haul without long term damage to the frame and suspension.

So yeah, an upgrade to a heavier truck makes the most sense.

I think the ability to stop a 7000 lb trailer is dependent much more upon the trailer brakes and much less on the truck. I am not sure a 3/4 or 1 ton has 'better' stopping than a 1/2 for a significant weight. I.e. 3500 lbs + requires trailer brakes in most if not all most all states.

------

It would have to be one of the smallest 5vers out there to be towed by an F150. 5vers are generally much heavier that travel trailers. But a 5ver would tow much better and safer on any truck than a TT. So it is a double edged sword. 5vers being a better tow v/s weighing more.

Peace and Blessings.