Mercury could be Ford's "green" division

I've yet to see a clear indication of a future for Mercury, but if Ford sells off all Euro car companies then I would hate to see Mercury go away.

As such and since nobody has put forth a sensible niche for the brand to folow, then I would like to offer remaking Mercury into a brand which sells only those vehicles which are considered to be fuel-efficient and/or environmentally friendly. Why not make Mercury into the "green" brand, but of course every vehicle in the lineup must follow the formula. This would make Mercury unique as a brand and the media would refer to Mercury when it discusses those characteristics among brands.

There isn't much to lose. Sales are not much now so if anything, it could only be a positive thing for Merc.

Ford is unique in (basically) aiming Mercury overtly at women.

With it unlikely there will be a new Mountaineer and maybe not even a Sable, what exactly are they going to be aiming at women? They need product or the only women they will be aiming at are those over 65 who still want Grand Marquis's.

With it unlikely there will be a new Mountaineer and maybe not even a Sable, what exactly are they going to be aiming at women? They need product or the only women they will be aiming at are those over 65 who still want Grand Marquis's.

See my GRWD thread... I think it shakes out Mercury gets a second crossover and keeps a larger sedan. At the very least I don't see their lineup shrinking beyond the Mountaineer going away and Sable/Grand Marquis coalescing into one model, even if we don't hear much about their product.

Why? Because their stuff is so cheap and easy to make.

See my GRWD thread... I think it shakes out Mercury gets a second crossover and keeps a larger sedan. At the very least I don't see their lineup shrinking beyond the Mountaineer going away and Sable/Grand Marquis coalescing into one model, even if we don't hear much about their product.

Why? Because their stuff is so cheap and easy to make.

Well, if they can keep that much, then fine. They definitely need a more appealing vehicle than the Mountaineer on the large-ish SUV side. A nicely styled crossover would serve them much better.

The problem is, Ford also needs people to start seeing things this way as well:

Getting the message delivered in a clear and concise manner is Farley's job now. Forget the women marketing theme. It may be unique, but Mercury was harmed decades age with the "Mercury, the man's car" theme. When women decided they didn't want to go down that road, the theme was swiftly abandoned.

I say "yes" to making Mercury a "green" brand. What is there to lose, really?

Well, if they can keep that much, then fine. They definitely need a more appealing vehicle than the Mountaineer on the large-ish SUV side. A nicely styled crossover would serve them much better.

How about a full hybrid, lightweight Cougar with 3.5 liter V6? Sporty, good handling, plus good gas mileage. The Prius looks like shit, handles like shit, and is as sporty as wet noodle. Mercury could have winner here. Women would love it. Easy on wallet and fun to drive and want to be seen in.

How about a full hybrid, lightweight Cougar with 3.5 liter V6? Sporty, good handling, plus good gas mileage. The Prius looks like shit, handles like shit, and is as sporty as wet noodle. Mercury could have winner here. Women would love it. Easy on wallet and fun to drive and want to be seen in.

1. If it could be made on the cheap, sure. Mercury isn't going to have high volume from anything, especially a hybrid, so the cost proposition would be difficult to manage.

2. If there is unused capacity alongside Mustang to build it. Currently there isn't much, and they shouldn't steal any from the Mustang either, as the Stang would undoubtedly still make more money.

1. If it could be made on the cheap, sure. Mercury isn't going to have high volume from anything, especially a hybrid, so the cost proposition would be difficult to manage.

2. If there is unused capacity alongside Mustang to build it. Currently there isn't much, and they shouldn't steal any from the Mustang either, as the Stang would undoubtedly still make more money.

Nancy Goia today stated that Ford has reduced hybrid costs about 30% over the last few years that Ford has been offering hybrids. She expects to reduce costs further going forward.

Nancy Goia today stated that Ford has reduced hybrid costs about 30% over the last few years that Ford has been offering hybrids. She expects to reduce costs further going forward.

That's a good start, but I still don't think they are close enough to market a hybrid-only model with any prayer of profit, especially at volume-strapped Mercury.

It could work. I think if you make them the green brand they would have to be offered only with hybrids. Ford could still have the hybrid option, but if you want a mercury its going to be a hybrid. If it fails, so what? Try something else with the brand or kill it off, its not like its holding Ford together.

I've yet to see a clear indication of a future for Mercury, but if Ford sells off all Euro car companies then I would hate to see Mercury go away.

As such and since nobody has put forth a sensible niche for the brand to folow, then I would like to offer remaking Mercury into a brand which sells only those vehicles which are considered to be fuel-efficient and/or environmentally friendly. Why not make Mercury into the "green" brand, but of course every vehicle in the lineup must follow the formula. This would make Mercury unique as a brand and the media would refer to Mercury when it discusses those characteristics among brands.

There isn't much to lose. Sales are not much now so if anything, it could only be a positive thing for Merc.

This idea has been presented here before....I think it may be a good idea.

I've been wanting them to do that for a long time, letters up front instead of the oval too..

It's one of the options available on the Flex customization site. I wouldn't see it becoming too widespread.

However it may pick up cachet as a 'throwback' customization in certain markets, on certain cars. I could see it on any of the 'Dave' Fords (F150, Fusion, Edge, Flex).

It's one of the options available on the Flex customization site. I wouldn't see it becoming too widespread.

However it may pick up cachet as a 'throwback' customization in certain markets, on certain cars. I could see it on any of the 'Dave' Fords (F150, Fusion, Edge, Flex).

what about a green oval with "Flex" in place of Ford script?