New Taurus in "the next year or two" ?

theoldwizard

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thats ok...the CV makes money no matter who buys it.

Would like to see proof of that again sometime. Like I said in the other Panther-jacked thread, the costs of production have had to increase considerably over the past couple of years.

Ford sees the writing on the wall and they are cancelling them.

Except they were. The GM was outselling the Sable in the retail market.

The Malibu?.....again NOT a competitor for :redcard: and the public may just flat out like another manufacturers product...public is fickle to say the least....I say its STYLING based, I agree, the Taurus and Sable are NOT setting anything on fire, but not much is...failure? not really, lack of advertising definitely doesn't help...that much I will say...they do drive great though.....the upcoming restyle/ lack of advertising is basically fords admission the twins are NOT living up to expectations for sure and CAN do better, they have obiously cottoned on to their weakness;s.....but let me say THIS, if the :redcard: WAS still retail avail I can GUARANTEE the CD's would STILL ( stagnant sales and all ) be out selling them...........

Edited by Deanh

So your saying that No GM's where sold to Fleets? I find that very hard to believe

No...I am saying that removing fleet sales, the GM still outsells the Sable 2-1

I fixed it for you

I'm not seeing it. I guess making something for 9K and selling it for 17K equals no profit. I hope you don't run your own business.

No...I am saying that removing fleet sales, the GM still outsells the Sable 2-1

I'm not seeing it. I guess making something for 9K and selling it for 17K equals no profit. I hope you don't run your own business.

if they made that money they wouldn't be going ANYWHERE...get real P........plus doesn't really matter if only 3 sell a year.....and 17k is after a 10k discount...figure the profit loss there.........

Edited by Deanh

I still laugh every time you insist that the Taurus and Sable were some sort of massive last-ditch effort to "fix" what was wrong with the D3's. It was a scheduled 3-year refresh (something a Panther owner obviously wouldn't understand). They just happened to change the names at the time.

Because name changes are so common.....what's the next name change going to be, from the Ford Taurus to the Ford Why won't you buy me?

:hysterical:

Ford is spending untold millions on yet another "update" on the car, and at the same time eliminating one shift at the only plant that builds them, even as they add a half-hearted rebadge to be sold as a Lincoln.

And the dealers will still just about offer you their first born to get you to buy one. I know this because every time I go to my Lincoln/Mercury dealership, they try to arm-twist me into buying one by throwing out some ridiculous discount off of list price. I tell the salesman when I buy a new car, I'll be factory ordering a new Grand Marquis, if Ford is even interested in my money anymore, which based upon the way they have gutted the Grand Marquis, apparently they are not.

If you want an American car, it is down to either buying a Panther, or buying used. Everything else Ford sells is a gas guzzling truck or (except the Mustang) a copy of a Japanese car with a bunch of useless gadgets on it.

I'll just keep what I already have, until Ford updates the drivetrain on the Panther, which means I'll be keeping what I have.

I should thank Ford for saving me a lot of money on purchasing cars.

Because name changes are so common.....what's the next name change going to be, from the Ford Taurus to the Ford Why won't you buy me?

Not to mention that there are FORD PRESS PHOTOS of the 2008 Ford D3 with "Five Hundred" on it...and with "Taurus" on it.

It ABSOLUTELY was a last ditch effort.

Ford-Five_Hundred_2008_photo_09.jpg

Ford-Five_Hundred_2008_photo_16.jpg

Not to mention this press release from Ford:

FORD TO SPOTLIGHT 2008 MODELS AT CHICAGO AUTO SHOW

The Chicago Auto Show is billed as America's largest and when it opens to the public on Feb. 9, it'll be just that.

Featuring more than 1,000 vehicles spread out over 1.3 million square feet of exhibit space inside the sprawling lakefront McCormick Place complex, the Chicago show allows automakers to showcase their biggest exhibits ever.

The space is so large that one auto company (DaimlerChrysler) even features an indoor test track complete with hills and a stream as part of its exhibit. The exhibit of Ford's global brands, including Volvo, Jaguar, Land Rover and Aston Martin, takes up 160,000 square feet alone.

Several automakers will debut new models at the show and Ford will spotlight several of its 2008 models – the new Ford Escape, Ford Focus, Ford Five Hundred and Ford Freestyle, as well as the 2008 Mercury Montego.

Three Ford concept cars – the Ford Airstream, the Ford Interceptor and the Lincoln MKR – will also be shown.

The show's two-day media preview begins Wednesday with a breakfast speech by Mark Fields, Ford's president of the Americas, at 9:30 a.m. EST. Fields will also preview for employees an announcement Ford is making at the show during his regular weekly Way Forward Webcast Wednesday from 9:45 – 10 a.m. EST.

That will be followed by a 11:45 a.m. EST press conference by Cisco Codina, Ford's group vice president for North America marketing, sales and service. Codina's press conference will be Webcast live.

At the Chicago show, several domestic and foreign competitors will be revealing special editions of their vehicles and showing freshened models for 2008.

As with the North American International Auto Show last month in Detroit, the Chicago show begins with the media previews followed by a huge charity event the night before the show opens to the public.

Running through Feb. 18, the show is sponsored by the Chicago Automobile Trade Association, the nation's oldest and largest metropolitan dealer organization.

Link

And this press release that talks about how "the 2008 Ford Five Hundred now offers more style, more power and standard safety features"

The Ford Five Hundred sedan packs nearly 30 percent more power and boasts a new look inside and out for the 2008 model year.

On sale by summer 2007, the Five Hundred features a new front end resembling the popular Ford Fusion, more horsepower and torque thanks to a new 3.5-liter V-6 engine, a new transmission and an all-wheel-drive system, in addition to safety upgrades that include Ford’s available AdvanceTrac® electronic stability control system. Structural upgrades to further improve crash protection include reinforcements in the footwell area and new interior door panels.

“Customers love the Five Hundred’s ride and package, and its safety reputation is excellent,” says Cisco Codina, Ford’s group vice president of North America Marketing, Sales and Service. “For this year, we’ve dialed up the appeal with a new, more expressive look, a more powerful engine and more than 500 changes to make this great car even better.”

The Five Hundred’s 3.5-liter Duratec V-6 now delivers 260 horsepower and 245 pound-feet of torque. It also benefits from the same smooth shifting, six-speed automatic transmission and the same available all-wheel-drive system as the new Ford Edge. Importantly, even with the upgraded powertrain, real-world fuel economy for the front-wheel-drive model is expected to remain in the range of 21 city and 29 highway – thanks to advancements in powertrain technology.

The Five Hundred’s new look aligns it with the Ford Fusion. New from the A-pillars forward, the Five Hundred now features Ford’s signature three-bar chrome grille. A sculpted hood adds a touch of crisp detail, and a new front fascia is chamfered at the outer edges, adding structure to the design. All-new side mirrors are smaller, yet provide better visibility and reduce wind noise. Chrome side vents, door handles and mirror caps give the Five Hundred Limited models a more expensive appearance. New taillamps carry the horizontal theme to the rear, while a new rear fascia houses chrome-tipped dual exhausts.

For 2008, the Five Hundred’s sound package has been completely revised, helping make it as quiet as many luxury cars. The new sound package includes such technologies as expandable foam pellets in the A-pillars to reduce wind noise and the use of an advanced sound-deadening material called Sonosorb in the doors, headliner and pillars. Sonosorb increases sound-deadening efficiency by 20 percent while retaining the same thickness as the material it replaces.

Engineers also reduced road noise by stiffening the area where the rear package shelf meets the floor pan. Even the heating and air conditioning were improved by making the system 50 percent quieter than before.

The Five Hundred’s quiet, confident ride starts with an already solid foundation. Upgrades include revised shock towers that help increase front suspension travel by 10 percent, new dampers and springs in both front and rear, and a revised, retuned rear suspension.

One of the most significant changes is how the engine is mounted in the vehicle. Previously, the engine was mounted to the front subframe. On the new model, the engine is bolted to the body with hydraulic mounts to reduce vibration. By moving the roughly 300-pound engine off the subframe, engineers were able to better tune the suspension and, ultimately, create an even better ride.

The Five Hundred features the most spacious interior of any large sedan, with best-in-class legroom front and rear, and 60/40-split fold-flat second-row seats. With the fold-flat front-passenger seat, items up to nine-feet long can fit inside.

Five Hundred also offers a number of must-have technologies. In addition to a standard auxiliary audio input jack, available convenience features include a voice-activated navigation system, a DVD entertainment system and factory-installed SIRIUS® satellite radio. Ford Sync™ is also available on the new Five Hundred. Sync is a voice-activated hands-free in-car communications and entertainment system which fully-integrates mobile phones and digital media players. The Sync in-car communications system was developed in collaboration with Microsoft and will be offered exclusively on 12 Ford, Lincoln and Mercury products in North America beginning this year.

The 2007 Five Hundred is already the segment leader in safety, earning five stars in all four categories for the U.S. government’s crash tests. Five Hundred was also the first Gold Award winner from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) and is the class leader in rear crash performance.

For 2008, Five Hundred offers the added safety and control of Ford’s AdvanceTrac® electronic stability control system. AdvanceTrac can predict the vehicle’s intentions using a sensor to detect and measure oversteer and yaw by monitoring the vehicle’s speed, throttle position and steering wheel angle. When the system senses wheel slip, brakes are applied where needed to help keep the car tracking safely on its intended path.

Five Hundred comes standard with dual-stage driver and passenger front air bags, seat-deployed side air bags for driver and front passenger and Safety Canopy™ side curtain rollover air bags for both rows.

AND they have this picture:

08FiveHundred_thum.jpg

With this caption:

The 2008 Ford Five Hundred’s Fusion-inspired exterior design aligns it with the future of Ford car design.

Link

But Nick is right...it wasn't a "last ditch effort"...they just put out the press releases and took press photos for the hell of it. rolleyes2.gif

Que the "Oh SNAP" .gif from Armada.

Ford is spending untold millions on yet another "update" on the car, and at the same time eliminating one shift at the only plant that builds them, even as they add a half-hearted rebadge to be sold as a Lincoln.

And the dealers will still just about offer you their first born to get you to buy one. I know this because every time I go to my Lincoln/Mercury dealership, they try to arm-twist me into buying one by throwing out some ridiculous discount off of list price. I tell the salesman when I buy a new car, I'll be factory ordering a new Grand Marquis, if Ford is even interested in my money anymore, which based upon the way they have gutted the Grand Marquis, apparently they are not.

If you want an American car, it is down to either buying a Panther, or buying used. Everything else Ford sells is a gas guzzling truck or (except the Mustang) a copy of a Japanese car with a bunch of useless gadgets on it.

I'll just keep what I already have, until Ford updates the drivetrain on the Panther, which means I'll be keeping what I have.

I should thank Ford for saving me a lot of money on purchasing cars.

Wow............. please tell me that you are not THAT stupid. I was hoping that it was only P.

You know, I used to actually like the :redcard: ............. well, until I started reading all the hijacked threads, ridiculous comparisons, and completely unsubstantiated claims by the mafia. Now, I almost feel like Ford needs to get subsidies from the government (school systems).............. since it seems like they are all sold to special ed students.

How dare Ford update products. How dare they try to make a profit. Aren't they a charitable organization???

AAAAAUUUUUUUGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not to mention that there are FORD PRESS PHOTOS of the 2008 Ford D3 with "Five Hundred" on it...and with "Taurus" on it.

It ABSOLUTELY was a last ditch effort.

Ford-Five_Hundred_2008_photo_09.jpg

Ford-Five_Hundred_2008_photo_16.jpg

Not to mention this press release from Ford:

Link

And this press release that talks about how "the 2008 Ford Five Hundred now offers more style, more power and standard safety features"

AND they have this picture:

08FiveHundred_thum.jpg

With this caption:

Link

But Nick is right...it wasn't a "last ditch effort"...they just put out the press releases and took press photos for the hell of it. rolleyes2.gif

Que the "Oh SNAP" .gif from Armada.

I saw the 2008 Ford Five Hundred (now Taurus) at NAIAS last year.

Edited by rmc523

General sales manager just had a big Ford meeting. They said they are bringing out the taurus as it should've been, THIS Fall. Based on design on MKS. guess we'll see

Are you a dealer? If not this is to all the dealers:

WHat kind of sales does the Taurus bring in? Is it a draw at all, or something that people end up settling for? I am curious to how it does. Does it sit on the lot for days without being looked at, or does it move quickly?

While with that, do you think the improvements will help much? What do you think?

now. considering how ford reps like to talk about things(i.e. I was told BLUNTLY that there will be a 2009 GT500, just a short supply run, due to a 1/2 year for the mustang), they could be saying that the REDESIGN itself will be out in fall. They have my GSM convinced the CAR ITSELF will be on the ground. i'd like to see it happen. I love this car under the skin, and with some people the design even works, BUT I HAVEN"T SOLD A SINGLE ONE, because anyone who sees it will easily consider Edge or Fusion first.

Can I ask you where is your dealership? Oh and what car draws people in? Is the Mustang, well except for recently a big draw/seller?

How dare Ford update products. How dare they try to make a profit. Aren't they a charitable organization???

AAAAAUUUUUUUGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's just it, they're NOT updating products. They leaving the ones that are proven sellers to rot while coming up with all new crap instead. :finger:

But remember...it wasn't a last ditch effort.

It was a last minute MARKETING decision, yes, but it wasn't anything make-or-break for the vehicle or the platform itself. Like I said, you'll still be frantically searching for the used car ads years from now looking for a beat up old Panther that was discontinued in 2011 while the rest of us who have moved on to the 21st century will be looking at brand-new Tauruses derived from the current D3 "failure".

That's just it, they're NOT updating products. They leaving the ones that are proven sellers to rot while coming up with all new crap instead. :finger:

Once again, the only reason the Panthers sell at all is BECAUSE of the lack of updates. The FLEET buyers and suppliers who are interested in them don't like change. It costs them more to update their products if the automaker actually changes something on them. Plus they wouldn't be able to buy them for dirt cheap. A fully updated Panther would probably lose all hint of profitability as well due to the cost of updating ancient tooling.