production 2009 Ford Fiesta (Verve) pics

range

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You DO realize that this vehicle was co-developed with the NA production team, right? So it's a win for BOTH of them.

Actually that is incorrect.

The next Focus is the first truly global car. This vehicle is a Mazda/FoE baby - FNA jumped in in the Spring 2006 after Fields took over and canceled the EcoSport. Martin Smith, Derrick Kuzack, and Mark Fields all have confirmed that at that time, this car was 95% finished, and FNA is only making extremely minor tweaks for US regulations and US tastes (see the Detroit Concept, and also probably look for cup holders). This will be a fully EU model brought to US. It will also be only one of two (with Transit Connect), as everything that will come after them will be a global product.

Igor

Edited by igor

Actually that is incorrect.

The next Focus is the first truly global car. This vehicle is a Mazda/FoE baby - FNA jumped in in the Spring 2006 after Fields took over and canceled the EcoSport. Martin Smith, Derrick Kuzack, and Mark Fields all have confirmed that at that time, this car was 95% finished, and FNA is only making extremely minor tweaks for US regulations and US tastes (see the Detroit Concept, and also probably look for cup holders). This will be a fully EU model brought to US. It will also be only one of two (with Transit Connect), as everything that will come after them will be a global product.

Igor

I would call that involvement. If they didn't jump in, we wouldn't be getting the Fiesta in North America. So that in itself tells you FNA has turned it around.

I would call that involvement. If they didn't jump in, we wouldn't be getting the Fiesta in North America. So that in itself tells you FNA has turned it around.

oh yes - it is a definite sign FNA is turning - but this car is not their product - unfortunately.

Igor

This is the Euro version so it's packed full of features and design touches that will be stripped out for the US market. The only way to get keyless start on a Ford in the US is on a 45K Lincoln ;).

I mean common - obviously this is the top of the line model. This version would sell in US for 21k or probably even more. In Europe, people will pay that kind of money for fully loaded B-car - in US? Who are we kidding. You can bet that the regular Fiesta in EU will have reflector headlamps and key ignition, and fabric seats. On the more normal level, the EU and US Fiesta will be 95% identical.

Igor

I hope Ford kills the Fusion nameplate, it is definitely beyond repair, most people immediately know "Fusion" = Mediocre car.

Even "Malibu" is worth more these days, that's how bad things got.

No - the Fusion name is not tainted nor in need of repair. Where do you come up with this stuff?

I mean common - obviously this is the top of the line model. This version would sell in US for 21k or probably even more. In Europe, people will pay that kind of money for fully loaded B-car - in US? Who are we kidding. You can bet that the regular Fiesta in EU will have reflector headlamps and key ignition, and fabric seats. On the more normal level, the EU and US Fiesta will be 95% identical.

Igor

Good point and one that I always wondered about. But is it a case where people won't pay for it or that the makers of small U.S. cars won't sell enough units to make the bean-counters happy? Sounds like a chicken-egg scenario, but maybe it's about time to make a small-loaded car as the new fuel standards roll around. It always made me wonder why my single friends drive mid/full size sedans or SUVs. Mind you, these are not car folks, as they wouldn't even consider a car like the Verve/Fiesta because it doesn't have enough "stuff" and seems cheap to them.

Good point and one that I always wondered about. But is it a case where people won't pay for it or that the makers of small U.S. cars won't sell enough units to make the bean-counters happy? Sounds like a chicken-egg scenario, but maybe it's about time to make a small-loaded car as the new fuel standards roll around. It always made me wonder why my single friends drive mid/full size sedans or SUVs. Mind you, these are not car folks, as they wouldn't even consider a car like the Verve/Fiesta because it doesn't have enough "stuff" and seems cheap to them.

I just do not think there is a market for this car in US - currently (except for MINI) the B-cars max out at 16k or so - basically below the mead of the C-segment. The same with the Compacts - they max out at 21k - again just belw the meat of the Mid size segment.

In Europe, there is much more overlap between segments, and you can easily option out a $25k-$27k compact with all the bells and whistles. it is not the meat of their market, but there is demand for such equipment level - and it is offered.

US just does not shop like that - most people rather spend the money on getting the larger car, than adding options to the smaller car.

Maybe it is time someone tried to change it - it worked with the MINI ... and maybe Ford will try it with the Fiesta, but my point from the previous post was that what we are looking at is a trim level almost completely absent in US - and it comes with a price - the mainstream models will be much more .. mainstream ...

I mean common - this car has HID's headlamps, LED tail lights, SYNC, push button start, and god knows what else - we are looking at options rarely present on mid size cars in US ... and this is a SUBCOMPACT :D

Igor

Edited by igor

Igor

We're also talking about materials used in the cockpit which will be toned down when assembled in NA. They'll use the same molds, but lesser material. They have to get cost down to sell profitably in the US.

Edited by BORG

We're also talking about materials used in the cockpit which will be toned down when assembled in NA. They'll use the same molds, but lesser material. They have to get cost down to sell profitably in the US.

notgonnahappen.com

I have it from a very reliable source - the materials will be the same in US - They will not spend money again to formulate new materials - what you see is what we get.

igor

notgonnahappen.com

I have it from a very reliable source - the materials will be the same in US - They will not spend money again to formulate new materials - what you see is what we get.

igor

That's impossible!!! The FNA version HAS to be inferior to the FoE version!!! It's a rule!! Didn't you know?

Honda and Toyota never seem to want to bring out "wow" cars like this. They sell those types of cars in other markets, but their NA offerings always seem to be watered down in comparison.

Look at the new Corolla. It looks like a warmed over old Corolla which looked like a warmed over prior generation Corolla and so on....

Look at the new Accord. Its trying to be everything to everyone to the point where it doesn't even look like a Honda anymore.

In addition, the European Civic hatch is amazing looking but its not offered in NA.

I agree...but Honda and Toyo don't have to work too hard to make their cars sell better than others. All their cars need is some fancy gimmick that everyone has to have and they will be sales leaders.

I just do not think there is a market for this car in US - currently (except for MINI) the B-cars max out at 16k or so - basically below the mead of the C-segment. The same with the Compacts - they max out at 21k - again just belw the meat of the Mid size segment.

In Europe, there is much more overlap between segments, and you can easily option out a $25k-$27k compact with all the bells and whistles. it is not the meat of their market, but there is demand for such equipment level - and it is offered.

US just does not shop like that - most people rather spend the money on getting the larger car, than adding options to the smaller car.

Maybe it is time someone tried to change it - it worked with the MINI ... and maybe Ford will try it with the Fiesta, but my point from the previous post was that what we are looking at is a trim level almost completely absent in US - and it comes with a price - the mainstream models will be much more .. mainstream ...

I mean common - this car has HID's headlamps, LED tail lights, SYNC, push button start, and god knows what else - we are looking at options rarely present on mid size cars in US ... and this is a SUBCOMPACT :D

Igor

Thanks Igor, good response. The MINI was just the car I had in mind or even some of the Volks models. They don't exactly sell a ton in the U.S. but have a cult-like following. I think you hit it on the head, I can see someone in the dealership saying, "You want 22K for that tiny thing? Nevermind, I'll take the sedan because I may have to take my mom/dog somewhere and plus it has the big engine so I don't get runover on the highway..." :banghead: