And there's a Panther on the list!

Who needs a Top Ten when you can go that extra mile for the Grand Marquis and make it a Top ELEVEN!drug.gif

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2008/autos/...st_cars/11.html

And as usual, Ford wastes no time to race to one of their most successful platform's defense!

In a corporate statement, Ford Motor Co. pointed out that the percentage of its vehicles recommended by Consumer Reports rose from 54% last year to 64% this year and that 93% of its vehicles were found to have average or better reliability, up from 63% last year.

Whew! For a second there, I thought you'd actually defend it by pointing out the fact that the GMQ's body shell is basically unchanged since 1992 yet still rivals America's "Safest Car"' the Taurus's crash ratings.....or point out how the GMQ is the only vehicle tested and passed for a 75+ MPH rear end collision standard......or that the GMQ is the best selling Mercury ever....or that the GMQ has the highest owner loyalty of any large/fullsize car on the market.

Wow, thanks for setting that CR/CNN article straight there, Ford! ass.gif

Edited by Armada Master

In this case, it sounds like the jackasses at CR decked the GMQ due to the fact it was left to rot on the vine:

Half of the docking points listed were: "IIHS side-crash result without side air bags, no (Electronic Stability Control), no curtain air bags"

Edited by Roadrunner

What is this? Confirmation that CR's staff has their collective heads very far up their collective ass holes! My 07 CV Sport gets a consistant 22-23 mpg in mixed driving. I must be confused, I'm 6-2, 220, and when I do a 500 mile day in it, I find I'm not beat at the end of the day. Side air bags? Nope. But as someone correctly pointed out, what about all the crash test it excells in. Trust me, if I had to take a hit, I'd rather be in a BOF Panther then some FWD unibody cheese box.

Bottom line these guys (or "girls") at CR wouldn't recognize good value if it hit them between the eyes.

Wow...did Toyota get spanked on that review....FJ Cruiser and Yaris

I'm surprised the Yaris did so poorly, but I don't know a damned thing about them.

Well, the Grand M is the best of the worst!

Chrysler sure took a lot of them though! Worse, they are all new vehicles.

Edited by timmm55

Let the suckers overpay for other crap that the "experts" at Consumer Reports like.

Sounds about right to me.

OTOH;

They said;

Engine noise-- true. It is a bit noiser than it should be

seat comfort-- true, late '80's seats were better... as for the competition... fugettabout it

ride-- HUH!??? What were they smoking?

fuel economy-- true f.e. is a touch lower than the previous GMQ. Don't know why

IIHS side-crash result without side air bags-- I have airbags...

ESC-- false ABS and ETC work just fine... and "panthers" typically do NOT roll...

no curtain air bags -- again I have side airbags...

Hilarious that they quote the GMQ as a lousy car, and simultaneously note that

other publications rate it a top pick... :hysterical:

Gee, I guess I shouldn't have bought my new 2008 Grand Marquis LS last weekend. Silly me. Before I realized what a bad car I had bought, I really enjoyed the great ride, powerful engine, smooth transmission, and brickhouse swagger of the panther platform. I mistakenly thought that the 2008 Grand Marquis was the best Grand Marquis ever, a great, safe, reliable car, and a tremendous value! Thanks for setting me straight, CNN/CR. :happy feet:

Gee, I guess I shouldn't have bought my new 2008 Grand Marquis LS last weekend. Silly me. Before I realized what a bad car I had bought, I really enjoyed the great ride, powerful engine, smooth transmission, and brickhouse swagger of the panther platform. I mistakenly thought that the 2008 Grand Marquis was the best Grand Marquis ever, a great, safe, reliable car, and a tremendous value! Thanks for setting me straight, CNN/CR. :happy feet:

I do not have any faith in what CR reports. My 07 Grand Marquis LS is the second best car I have owned, next to my 96. A friend of mine bought a 72 Dodge Club Cab and it was wrote up awful. He wrote them when truck was 30 years old and asked them when all this bad stuff would happen. In my opinion they are one of the main causes of Domestic sales going down the shitter, if it ain't Asian it can't be any good, in there opinion.

I can't take credit for the description. I ripped it off from a review of the 2006 Grand Marquis written by Sajeev Mehta. Here is the link:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/reviews/m...-grand-marquis/

Sajeev is a fan of the Panther platform, especially the Grand Marquis/Crown Vic.

Credit where credit is due. I think Sajeev captures what is so good, and so unique, about the Panther.

I can't take credit for the description. I ripped it off from a review of the 2006 Grand Marquis written by Sajeev Mehta. Here is the link:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/reviews/m...-grand-marquis/

Sajeev is a fan of the Panther platform, especially the Grand Marquis/Crown Vic.

Credit where credit is due. I think Sajeev captures what is so good, and so unique, about the Panther.

Big +1, I've enjoyed his Panther writeups as well.

Here is the Sajeev review where the immortal line "the brick-house swagger of Mercury's mighty-mighty Marquis" can be found, in a write-up of the tepid Buick Lucerne:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/reviews/buick-lucerne-cxs/

:hysterical:

Nice, I love the opening shot at the GM name game:

Electra Waggoner Biggs was born a Texas cattle and oil man’s daughter, but left the Lone Star State for Bryn Mawr, Columbia and the Sorbonne. Upon her return she became a revered sculptress, best known for her work “Into the Sunset,” memorializing cowboy actor Will Rogers. In 1959, the President of Buick (and Electra’s husband’s brother-in-law) named a flagship sedan after the middle aged Texan. Today's Buick Lucerne is named after a quaint Swiss tourist trap, with only a failed peasant’s revolt to its name. And there you have it: Buick has tossed away decades of brash Americana for subdued Euro-style. That's beyond stupid.

Right on the money.

Indeed. I shudder to think of the panty-waisted front-driver Mr. Harbinger owns.

Yes, his crappy modern car :rolleyes: . What you guys have the realize is that other cars are not crap. There are many good offerings from many other companies and good offerings from Fords itself. Despite what you think, the panther is not the best car in the world. Theres nothing wrong with it (well, there is, but we'll leave that aside for now) but there are other cars out there that are just as good if not better at the things that cars are supposed to do.