Family group ends boycott against 'gay'-friendly Ford

Ovaltine

Any truth to this story that just popped up tonight???

Family group ends boycott

against 'gay'-friendly Ford

Activists say carmaker meets conditions

as sales plunged 8% per month since '05

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=...mp;pageId=58587

Posted: March 10, 2008

8:38 pm Eastern

© 2008 WorldNetDaily

In the face of plummeting car sales, Ford Motor Company has taken steps to reduce its aggressive pro-homosexual policies, thus prompting a family-rights group to call off its boycott of the carmaker.

The American Family Association says it's suspending its two-year boycott of Ford, noting the auto giant has met the conditions of the original agreement between AFA and Ford from 2005.

AFA Chairman Donald Wildmon said the original agreement between the family group and Ford contained four items:

1. Ford would not renew current promotions or create future incentives that give cash donations to homosexual organizations based on the purchase of a vehicle.

2. Ford would not make corporate donations to homosexual organizations that, as part of their activities, engage in political or social campaigns to promote civil unions or same-sex marriage.

3. Ford would stop giving cash and vehicle donations or endorsements to homosexual social activities such as 'gay'-pride parades.

4. Ford would cease all advertising on homosexual websites and through homosexual media outlets (magazines, television, radio) in the U.S. with the exception of $100,000 to be used by Volvo. The Volvo ads would be the same ads used in the general media and not aimed at the homosexual community specifically.

Wildmon said a few minor issues remain, and AFA will continue to bring these to the attention of Ford.

According to AFA, during the 24 months the boycott was in effect, Ford sales dropped an average of 8 percent per month. The organization said its boycott was not entirely responsible for the drop in sales, but played a very significant role. A total of 780,365 individuals had signed AFA's Boycott Ford petition.

-Ovaltine

Edited by Ovaltine

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, only an 8% drop.

What does that make the other 92%?

I don't understand your response. Taken at face value, AFA says that it was an 8% drop per month.

The other "92%" would have been actual sales of vehicles.

Were you making a joke, or actually trying to further analyze the lost sales figures?

Just curious.

-Ovaltine

Hmm, only an 8% drop.

What does that make the other 92%?

8% per month, but I hardly think that the reduction were even a significant number of those boycotting over this ignorant issue!

I don't understand your response. Taken at face value, AFA says that it was an 8% drop per month.

Were you making a joke, or actually trying to further analyze the lost sales figures?

Just curious.

-Ovaltine

I think he was suggesting that 92% of our customers prefer alternative life styles!

Edited by Furious1Auto

Just curious.

-Ovaltine

In a back handed way, AFA seems to claim the 8% drop was caused by them - Ford should be so lucky!

The per month was year on year - exactily what Ford predicted when reducing daily rentals sales by 200,000.

Sorry for mixed message.. :shades:

Edited by jpd80

I, for one, didn't know they still had the boycott going. Of course, they're going to tout this as an example of their influence. Forcing "family values" on the private sector by making them ignore the undesirables. I would certainly hope that Ford ceasing their advertising to gay clientele is more about the ads not working well, rather than kowtowing to some bible-thumper on the bully pulpit.

I would certainly hope that Ford ceasing their advertising to gay clientele is more about the ads not working well, rather than kowtowing to some bible-thumper on the bully pulpit.

Do not assume that what the AFA is trumpeting actually took place.

The last time they declared 'victory', a counter statement from Ford less than a week later revealed that the AFA had, basically, lied.

Anybody want to guess what the Bible's stance on lying is?

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=22193

"We value all people – regardless of their race, religion, gender, sexual orientation and cultural or physical differences," said Bill Ford, chairman and chief executive officer. "This is a historical commitment of the Ford Motor Company that I intend to carry forward."

Ford Motor Company is always willing to engage in constructive conversation with those interested in our policies, even with those who don't always agree with them. But only Ford Motor Company speaks for Ford Motor Company. Any suggestion to the contrary is incorrect.

The automotive industry is a highly competitive business. During these budget-tightening times, our brands must make tough choices where to advertise and how to spend limited sponsorship dollars. Ford Motor Company will vigorously promote our products to all people, and we will continue to treat our customers and employees with dignity and respect.

AFA are lying through their teeth.

Ugh not this again.......

Unless the AFA has empirical evidence proving the sales drop, then I'm calling BS! That organization is a JOKE! Their attempts with Disney failed, and now this. Ford's sales have dropped because of Ford, and their lack of proper product planning......

What about all those retail sales increases? Edge and MKX success? Yeah the AFA (and all their crazed members) FAIL!

A very 'significant' role :hysterical: I also find the ambiguity of what Ford did not meet rather amusing. FWIW, Ford has ceased a lot of community donations. The Motown Winter Blast, if I'm not mistaken, didn't see a red cent from Ford this year, whereas years previous to they have.

Give me a friggin break...

"According to AFA, during the 24 months the boycott was in effect, Ford sales dropped an average of 8 percent per month"

8% per month, 24 months . . . that's 192% . . . . here there be truth?

Actually, I think the "8% per month" statement meant that each month's numbers were progressively 8% lower than the previous month's numbers.

As an illustration, if you take the number 100 and subtract 8% of each resultant number 24 times, you end up with approximately the number 15.

100->92->85->78->...........->19->17->16->15.

This doesn't mean that I'm buying into AFA's argument or speculation. But that's the format that I think they implied.

-Ovaltine

Edited by Ovaltine

They probable ended the boycott because of fear that Ford might be on the verge of an upswing, and they would no longer be the "cause" of lost sales.

This was my thought exactly. Ford has basically maintained marketshare for two months now... how do you spin that if your boycott is supposedly driving Ford into the ground.

Well now that their Boycott is over, AFA should be able to provide some numbers on their members who are buying Ford products. That should really show their strength since the proof of their influence would be people who bought Fords not people who didn't for some unknown reason.

I'll be waiting for the AFA numbers and Ford's big sales bounce (8% would be great). I won't be holding my breath.

Maybe this isn't a big deal. All I know is that people are sure making a big deal about it if it isn't. BTW: I'm not sure how you could gather empirical evidence on whether or not AFA members would start to buy Ford vehicles again. Some of them may have switched and found products they like better from other companies. Ford isn't getting them back for a while - if at all. We'd be ignorant to say that other companies aren't offering a competitive product ...

The biggest issue isn't about whether people boycotted them in the first place. It's more about how the brand image has become tarnished as a result of this "fiasco." I know some people who refuse to buy Ford products as a result of this. Do I agree with that? No, but that's how "image" works. People refuse to buy a product if there is something they believe the company is doing incorrectly on moral and ethical grounds. I have other companies I do the same thing for. Won't even consider them - even if they do change their stance - because at one time they supported something I disagree with. Sure, it's a personal choice to do this. Just keep in mind that Ford has probably lost the boycott "potential customers" for life. As they say .. "tread lightly"

My personal thoughts are that Ford wouldn't have given into the AFA if they didn't believe this was a serious risk.

Edited by SVT_MAN

Ford released a statement today saying that their policies have not changed. It's referenced in AP stories, but is not on their media website yet.

The statement that Ford's policies have not changed flatly contradicts AFA assertions that Ford has 'agreed' to its demands.

Would someone remind me what the 9th commandment is? I can't remember it off the top of my head....