Duratec 35 in Fusion

silvermike

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

direct injection?....hope they smooth it out a little....

Far as I know, DI is not part of the equation. Could be a little smoother though. In the end, it's just a band-aid until D35 capacity gets to where they need it. I wouldn't be surprised if the PIP D30 only stuck around for a year or two.

Far as I know, DI is not part of the equation. Could be a little smoother though. In the end, it's just a band-aid until D35 capacity gets to where they need it. I wouldn't be surprised if the PIP D30 only stuck around for a year or two.

240 is nothing to scoff at anyways I suppose.....

Far as we know, no D35 in the '09. It will get the PIP D30 with about 240 HP and will see the new 2.5 Duratec I4. It may also see an EcoBoost 2.5 with about 260-270 HP. There will also be a hybrid version.

EcoBoost is high unlikely for anything in '09. Even the MKS has had EcoBoost pushed back (D37 only at Job #1), although some rumors are saying MKS will get it as soon as 2009.5.

240 is nothing to scoff at anyways I suppose.....

Well, considering most midsize sales are 4 cylinders, I'm personally more interested in how smooth the new 2.5 is. I wouldn't be in the market for one, but it will probably be more important to the car's success overall.

If it doesn't get the 3.5 it will be rightfully thrashed by the media, and be last in class in 09.

Last in class, by a handful of ponies. It will be near FIRST in class in 4 cylinder power though - which is where the meat of the market is. It should get better fuel economy as well (both 4 cyl and 6 cyl) which may end up being a bigger selling point than peak power numbers.

From another thread:

Powertrain actions releasing this December/January:

New PIP 3.0 - 20-30hp increase over current model

New 2.5L I4 - 10hp increase, 15 ft-lbs torque increase

New 6 Auto with the I4 (currently a 5 speed...)

New 6 Manual with the I4 (currently a 5 speed)

Also, these new powertrains will come with significantly more soundpackage, making the cars quieter and more refined.

3.5L will be available a bit after launch in the Fusion ST or Sport (not sure what they're calling it yet). Also a little further out is the Ecoboost 2.5L.

Swizco

The 3.5 Duratec should be limited to the Milan and MKZ with the MKZ getting the 3.7 exclusive of the trio. I believe Ford is moving forward with EcoBoost and will most likely come out with a non-turbo DI motor in the same vein as the EcoBoost family with a different name on it so as not to confuse the customer.

Well, considering most midsize sales are 4 cylinders, I'm personally more interested in how smooth the new 2.5 is. I wouldn't be in the market for one, but it will probably be more important to the car's success overall.

is the 2.5 a brand new engine ( perhaps designed with eco boost in mind ) or is it just a bore job....transmission also seems to be ebing changed...GOOD....mentioned in every test as hunting as badly as Dick Cheney

Last in class, by a handful of ponies. It will be near FIRST in class in 4 cylinder power though - which is where the meat of the market is. It should get better fuel economy as well (both 4 cyl and 6 cyl) which may end up being a bigger selling point than peak power numbers.

Torque is what you feel, it may not be far off second to last in power, but the 40-50 ft. lb. deficit in torque will be what's noticeable.

That torque deficuit can only be made up by going to the larger D35. It's in their hands, they can either do the right thing or go the way of the old Ford where mediocrity is acceptable. We've seen what that did to the company..

Torque is what you feel, it may not be far off second to last in power, but the 40-50 ft. lb. deficit in torque will be what's noticeable.

That torque deficuit can only be made up by going to the larger D35. It's in their hands, they can either do the right thing or go the way of the old Ford where mediocrity is acceptable. We've seen what that did to the company..

so with that reasoning the new BMW M3 is mediocre as well ? or does it just "feel" that way....

At $5 a gallon, people just may care more about higher-mileage "mediocrity" than red-blooded accdeleration. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_MZR_engine#2.5_DISI

I don't know if this is the one or not but I remember Blue II mentioning something that the 2.0L EcoBoost is not from the MZR line. It is a in-house Ford project. In my experience, the D20 and 23 are not bad however, what I see here it's a hit or miss.

It was likely me.

EcoBoost, while similar in functionality to the Mazda DISI, uses a total unique "control system" (computer, sensors, high pressure fuel pump, injectors, etc)

The base engine is almost identical "around the world". Literally. That engine is made in 5 different countries with only small differences.