Duratec 35 in Fusion

silvermike

It was likely me.

EcoBoost, while similar in functionality to the Mazda DISI, uses a total unique "control system" (computer, sensors, high pressure fuel pump, injectors, etc)

The base engine is almost identical "around the world". Literally. That engine is made in 5 different countries with only small differences.

The 3.5L will be available in 2010 Fusion. The majority of sales will be the 4 and the 4 hybrid, Ford expects the hybrid to be very high in demand and may exceed the v6 in total sales.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 3.5L will be available in 2010 Fusion. The majority of sales will be the 4 and the 4 hybrid, Ford expects the hybrid to be very high in demand and may exceed the v6 in total sales.

I hope so. I cannot speak for the rest of NA but here on this Island called Vancouver, it maybe a short distance but it is over hill and dale and that takes a lot of fuel. Once you get to a even keel, it's downtown and gridlock anyway defeating the hybrids sweet spot. I personnaly feel hybird sales seem like a lot of hype. Like I said I don't know about every place else and this is speculation. In Quebec City I rode in Hybrid Taxis and it seemed to work even though the cabbies there think they're in a F1 qual. J/K BTW.

Edited by Hugh

"Show me !"

I'm not convinced that Ford has all of the necessary suppliers lined up to sell that many vehicles even if the demand is there.

I don't believe the demand for hybrids is that great. Even if/when gas hits $4/gal the payback is too far out.

That is the big benefit (in theory) of EcoBoost. Good mileage, yet plenty of power when you need it.

Well I4 already outsells the V6 Model, pretty impressive considering how the I4/auto combo have been trashed by the auto press

ford says the 3.5 is the same Exterior size as the 3.0 and yet they say its to big to fit in the Fusion, that makes no sense.

I think you're confusing the Escape and the Fusion. We know the 3.5 fits in the Fusion, it already does (be it with an MKZ badge).

At $5 a gallon, people just may care more about higher-mileage "mediocrity" than red-blooded accdeleration. :)

Not when cars like the Camry have more power and get better mileage at the same time.

Btw, the D35 in the Taurus gets better mileage than the D30 did

Edited by Blueblood

Hopefully the 2.5 will be Trouble-Free and ford says the 3.5 is the same Exterior size as the 3.0 and yet they say its to big to fit in the Fusion, that makes no sense.

So what is different between the 2.3 and 2.5 besides a .2 liter advantage. I'm assuning they may have changed the heads on the 2.3 to get the extra volume. If so My 2.3 is trouble free after 3 years, so I don't foresee any major mechanical failures happening till well into it's age!

240 is nothing to scoff at anyways I suppose.....

240 is what Honda has been getting out of their 3.0L V6 for several years now, though that was on Premium gasoline.

If Ford can get 240 ponies on 87 out of a 3.0L, it means they will finally be showing some teeth in their powertrain engineering.

Does the Camry have AWD? How does it handle?

We need to be careful not to encourage Ford to be better than the competition in *some* areas-- we need to encourage them to deliver product that surpasses the competition in *all* areas.

But, yeah, having driven a Fusion, I have to say I love the ride and handling. Could be just a touch tighter, IMHO, but is still quite sweet.

We need to be careful not to encourage Ford to be better than the competition in *some* areas-- we need to encourage them to deliver product that surpasses the competition in *all* areas.

We have to be careful with that idea also. Taken too far, this idea could end up costing money and reducing the profitability of vehicles. I'd love for it do be done if it could be, but I doubt it simply because no one has done it yet. In truth all vehicles have strength and weaknesses.

Hopefully the 2.5 will be Trouble-Free and ford says the 3.5 is the same Exterior size as the 3.0 and yet they say its to big to fit in the Fusion, that makes no sense.

They've never said it won't FIT in the Fusion. Only issue has been production capacity for the 3.5. Obviously it FITS. It's in the MKZ with the exact same engine bay.

There is a disconnect here. Clearly, we don't know what the 2010 Fusion (to be released Jan 1, 2009 or whatever) will have in its engine bay: D30 or D35. Will the 2009 Fusion (Job1 6/2) have the current D30/D23 or the PIP D30/D25?

One interesting thing to note is that the Fusion is lighter than the Camry and Accord right now (I assume it will still be lighter than at least the Accord after its refresh). It doesn't need as much power to give you a similar "feel."

Torque is what you feel, it may not be far off second to last in power, but the 40-50 ft. lb. deficit in torque will be what's noticeable.

That torque deficuit can only be made up by going to the larger D35.

You can compensate for lack of torque through better gearing. Isn't the new car getting the 6 speed auto? Ask any 4v Cobra owner what better gearing does for their car.

Edited by atomaro

They've never said it won't FIT in the Fusion. Only issue has been production capacity for the 3.5. Obviously it FITS. It's in the MKZ with the exact same engine bay.

Didn't Ford just idle a D35 line? (could be wrong), I think they have the capacity, just issues of overlap between lincoln and ford and the necessary development work are the hurdles, my understanding is ford's engineering teams are severly lacking in numbers.

And yes it obviously fits, my bet is itll fit in almost anything carrying the d30

There is a disconnect here. Clearly, we don't know what the 2010 Fusion (to be released Jan 1, 2009 or whatever) will have in its engine bay: D30 or D35. Will the 2009 Fusion (Job1 6/2) have the current D30/D23 or the PIP D30/D25?

One interesting thing to note is that the Fusion is lighter than the Camry and Accord right now (I assume it will still be lighter than at least the Accord after its refresh). It doesn't need as much power to give you a similar "feel."

AFAIK, 2009 Fusion (J1 6/2) is carry over. The 2010 is the MCE.

Didn't Ford just idle a D35 line? (could be wrong), I think they have the capacity, just issues of overlap between lincoln and ford and the necessary development work are the hurdles, my understanding is ford's engineering teams are severly lacking in numbers.

And yes it obviously fits, my bet is itll fit in almost anything carrying the d30

FWIR, a line was idled yet LIMA is full steam with the 1st gen D35. Later, D37 and DI and EcoBoost has to be trialed and proven on the lines before it gets to the public. Question, will there be a DI version of these powerplants? I am not talking about EcoBoost, I'm talking about a middle ground varient and eventual replacement for the 1st gen.