Pontiac G8 Sport Truck

BORG

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there really a market for something so completely useless? Although, if I were a GM fan, the bounty of choices has got to be heavenly right now. We're lucky to get an imported cargo van while GM gets a fleet of global products ranging the spectrum.

http://jalopnik.com/366699/2010-pontiac-g8...-camino-is-back

You just answered your own retorical question.

Yes, GM is reinventing a market - think sports car that doubles as light work truck.

Ford has Falcon, Utility, Territory available but needing left drive versions.

Well done Ford NA, you've failed to capitolise again.

Is there really a market for something so completely useless? Although, if I were a GM fan, the bounty of choices has got to be heavenly right now. We're lucky to get an imported cargo van while GM gets a fleet of global products ranging the spectrum.

http://jalopnik.com/366699/2010-pontiac-g8...-camino-is-back

I can and can't see a market for this type of vehicle. I could see people buying it to have a sporty vehicle that can still be useful. I can't see people buying it because of limited capabilities, including seating space.

i love the thing. Itll probably get milage right in line with my Ranger, but be alot faster, more stylish and i can still get an engine or two in the bed as long as the payload is over 1000 lbs.

I like it.

I wouldn't count on that gas mileage, the SSR abortion a couple of years back got like 15/19 IIRC.

Edited by Armada Master

I would count on that gas mileage, the SSR abortion a couple of years back got like 15/19 IIRC.

I would assume it would be close to the G8 in terms of milage. My Ranger gets between 20-22 depending on how much street use it gets, and the G8 should be about the same which is also rated at 17/24(?) like my Ranger is.

I got 22.15mpg out of the Ranger's last tank average. Thats the best its done in a while. 404 miles out of 18.25 gallons. woot!

I would assume it would be close to the G8 in terms of milage. My Ranger gets between 20-22 depending on how much street use it gets, and the G8 should be about the same which is also rated at 17/24(?) like my Ranger is.

I got 22.15mpg out of the Ranger's last tank average. Thats the best its done in a while. 404 miles out of 18.25 gallons. woot!

Yep, the Aussie experience is that sedan, ute and Monaro (GTO) are/were all about the same.

Yep, the Aussie experience is that sedan, ute and Monaro (GTO) are/were all about the same.

i like it..my 2nd favorite car of all time is the 70 el camino with ls6...trivia says not even the vette received that monster motor in 70...but the lowly el camino did...i like it and with gas prices where they are a car/truck makes sense

I can and can't see a market for this type of vehicle. I could see people buying it to have a sporty vehicle that can still be useful. I can't see people buying it because of limited capabilities, including seating space.

it just might be a good seller. There are quite a few G6's, G8's and old (70's and 80's) El Camino's running around the Tulsa area.

that sounds like 50% of all half-ton sales.

people that bitch and moan that the pickup doesn't accelerate like a Mustang and have a scratch-free, virgin truck bed.

Sounds like quite a sizeable chunk!

Probably find G8 ute will sell for about $27K - about same as Mustang GT..............

I dunno, I dont see this being a huge success, I think its going to bomb

Success and bomb are relative terms,

For Holden, a simple 10K to 15K/year for the Ute would be enough to justify development

as it sells that many locally and is derived of a 100K/year platform anyway.

Bear in mind the Ute is still 18 months away and the G8 sedan has just hit the showroom.

No one knows what will happen in the next 12 months, by that time things could be recovering.

The GTO of 2004-06 was supposed to be a 'good seller' too.

The average truck buyer will not even bother looking at it, and the 'car guys' will stick to old iron. And "Mrs Car Guy" will say, "no" to two doors, no back seat, etc, etc, etc. So, more soft ute sales in suburbia!

The average truck buyer will not even bother looking at it, and the 'car guys' will stick to old iron. And "Mrs Car Guy" will say, "no" to two doors, no back seat, etc, etc, etc. So, more soft ute sales in suburbia!

I see Bill Osbourne is pushing for earlier Focus production in Australia and possibly also C1 based C-Max and Kuga.

Gee, I hope we get those too.

I had a look at C1 and C17 Focii in the car park the other day, C1 is a lot wider than the early C170 - about 5" more!!!

I see Bill Osbourne is pushing for earlier Focus production in Australia and possibly also C1 based C-Max and Kuga.

Gee, I hope we get those too.

I had a look at C1 and C17 Focii in the car park the other day, C1 is a lot wider than the early C170 - about 5" more!!!

C17 is huge...

800px-C17_DF-SD-06-03299.jpg

:P

It actually appeals to me as a car guy because its 'interesting'. Its priced right (if the estimates of undercutting the G8 by a hair are right), unlike the GTO or the Marauder which i both liked alot. They have enough power to be fun, and are useful enough for every day use. I only really have a 2 seater now, as the Ranger doesnt have jump seats in the back so thats fine for me too. I just hope theres enough storage behind the deats to hold something like a small duffel bag without cramping too much.

I showed a friend of mine this link too, hes drooling over the G8 GXP. He has kids though. Im fine with the Ute.

Are the G8's on sale yet?

yeah they are, there is an orange one parked outside of Sheehan Pontiac if you know what im talking about, its on US1

i saw it there yesterday, im waiting for my friend to comeback from vacation and then i want to go test drive it, hopefully they will let us...

It actually appeals to me as a car guy because its 'interesting'.

Well thats the problem with it, I'll admit its interesting, but it just being a 2 seater will kill off most interest from your avg Car buyer...just look at what happened to two door SUV's in the 1990's...they where nearly all gone by the end of the decade. The car is Practical, yet very unpractical at the same time. I think the loss of any rear seating isn't off set by a having a bed in the back.

If they can sell 10-15K of them of a year...you might consider it succesful, but otherwise I wouldn't.

I seen an orange-gold 1973 Ranchero for sale recently and it gave me a warm fuzzy. So I can understand the appeal. I don't see mass market appeal but rather a vey specific niche appeal for those few enthusiasts who crave the classic same models of old.

I do remember someone chopped a Ranchero out of the new Mustang and I liked it. If Ford actually offered it I may have considered it over a Mustang coupe as it has an interesting appeal to me. Reality is that it is a fun concept but there is no real mass market business case.

I found the old picture I took of a 1979 Thunderbird Ranchero that I took at a local auto show from several years ago. I love it!

post-10-1205843852_thumb.jpg

post-10-1205843881_thumb.jpg

post-10-1205843913_thumb.jpg

I really believe that if it was sold under another name it would have done well. All the rednecks kept saying how it wasn't a "real" GTO and that sunk it. Even thought anyone that drove it was amazed at what it could do.