2010-ford-4-4-liter-diesel-engine-scooped

RangerM

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
Has it? I seem to remember reading somewhere about 2010 being the launch year, or maybe that was launching in 2010 for 2011 model year?

One of the first un-official "leaks" (from a retired powertrain manager) did say 2010MY. Here on BON we quashed that pretty quick.

Engine Job #1 is still Jan 2010

It might be closer than two years away. The Scorpion 6.7-litre V8 wich is said to replace tho PS 6,4 -litre is said to be here at July 2009(next year) , The 4.4-litre is said to come 6 months before the Scorpion...

We expect to see the 4.4-liter diesel F-150 officially debut at the 2009 Chicago Auto Show.

:happy feet:

Excellent news.

Anyone have any word on diesels from competitors? I know at least GM has confirmed working on a 1/2 ton diesel, but haven't heard anything recently.

Nnnnnnegative on that one, Nick. Last I heard from someone on the P415 program, 4.4L in the F-150 is still 2010.5MY. Current timeline has GM beating Ford to the market by 2-3 months.

Did you miss the post by CGIron? I'm not sure how reliable a source he is, but he's claiming debut at '08 Chicago Auto Show.

...The Scorpion 6.7-litre V8 is said to replace the current PS 6,4 -litre is said to be here at July 2009...

No how, no way !

The 4.4L will launch first. Engine job #1 is still Jan 2010.

Scorpion may be ready to launch soon after the 4.4L, but there is still a contract between Ford and International Truck and Engine Corp. that commits Ford to buy a minimum number of engine per year trough 20011 or 2012. While that contract is in place, it would be suicide for Ford to build the Scorpion.

Edited by theoldwizard

• 4 weeks later...
With the issues with the 4.4 causing more delays, i heard that Ford is considering scrapping the 4.4 and buying GM's 4.5...seriously. anyone else heard this? Gettelfinger was talking about this...probably just talk though.

Been keeping my eye on the development of the 4.4L and any news released. Which I haven't heard anything like this. Don't think I could buy a Ford with a Cheby motor anyways.

With the issues with the 4.4 causing more delays, i heard that Ford is considering scrapping the 4.4 and buying GM's 4.5...seriously. anyone else heard this? Gettelfinger was talking about this...probably just talk though.

That seems like a TOTAL waste!

all that money on R&D then just scrap it to buy someone elses engines is just plain Stupid!

With the issues with the 4.4 causing more delays, i heard that Ford is considering scrapping the 4.4 and buying GM's 4.5...

What a crock !

The 4.4L is "on schedule", maybe even a little ahead, for an engine Job #1 of Jan 2010.

Scorpion could be earlier than I had previously predicted, possibly ready to roll sometime in late 2010. The big hold up is the current contract with ITEC/Navistar.

Here is my prediction (no input from anyone at Ford). Ford will drop their pending lawsuit over warranty cost sharing on the 6.0L in exchange for ITEC/Navistar dropping their countersuit and early termination of the existing contract.

Edited by theoldwizard

What a crock !

The 4.4L is "on schedule", maybe even a little ahead, for an engine Job #1 of Jan 2010.

Scorpion could be earlier than I had previously predicted, possibly ready to roll sometime in late 2010. The big hold up is the current contract with ITEC/Navistar.

Here is my prediction (no input from anyone at Ford). Ford will drop their pending lawsuit over warranty cost sharing on the 6.0L in exchange for ITEC/Navistar dropping their countersuit and early termination of the existing contract.

No shit. There's been engine mules with production components rolling around Dearborn in all sorts of vehicles for MONTHS.

when is the next gen super duty due to be unveiled ?

I don't have any "connections" in program planning. Of course, I never did !

I guess that FORD should go with the 6.4 navistar engine until the end of the current SD and put the new engine when the next SD will be released (maybe sometime around 2012)

New vehicle timing is uncoupled from powertrain timing in "The Way Forward".

The vehicle will be out when it is ready. The powertrain will be out whem it is ready.

What a crock !

nope, the engine is delayed further. F150 implementation won't happen till 1 year after launch.

nope, the engine is delayed further. F150 implementation won't happen till 1 year after launch.

Check your math.

The '09MY F150 is going to launch "real soon now".

I just said that engine Job #1 for the 4.4L is Jan 2010CY. That puts it in the vehicle in 2010.5MY. So we are are in agreement and that is what I have said for over a year.

Yeah, it might show up in the Navigator first, but the 4.4L will show up in the F150 prior to the "traditional" 2011MY timing.

Check your math.

The '09MY F150 is going to launch "real soon now".

I just said that engine Job #1 for the 4.4L is Jan 2010CY. That puts it in the vehicle in 2010.5MY. So we are are in agreement and that is what I have said for over a year.

Yeah, it might show up in the Navigator first, but the 4.4L will show up in the F150 prior to the "traditional" 2011MY timing.

No, i'm saying 1 year after engine launch. That's about 2 years after vehicle launch. Engine job 1 has been delayed by a small amount and F150 implementation has been pushed back a year afterwards. Sorry, should've clarified that. not trying to stir the pot, just figure out what's goin on.

Diesels are more expensive to buy, but historically have brought much more in resale.

What I don't understand is since diesle's can put out so much torque, why not make one

in the 3 liter range, one that puts out 350 ft-lbs. It will most likely have a completely flat torque curve

and even if it's only 180 HP, that should be plenty (considering the torque curve)

for most people who use their 1/2 tons for light use. Can't see why that would not put

it easily in the range of 22/26 honest mileage for a std cab short bed.

Diesels, typically, are low (lower ?) RPM engines. This makes them perfect for long stroke inline applications, like the Cummins. Ford (and GM) had to go with the more expensive V8 design so that 1) there were not accused of being a copy-cat and 2) everyone in the US knows that V8 is better than a 6 and day of the week ! :P

Diesels, typically, are low (lower ?) RPM engines. This makes them perfect for long stroke inline applications, like the Cummins. Ford (and GM) had to go with the more expensive V8 design so that 1) there were not accused of being a copy-cat and 2) everyone in the US knows that V8 is better than a 6 and day of the week ! :P

Vehicle packaging had a lot to do with going to a V-8. Back in the days of the G.M. 6.2/6.5, both of those diesels had the same motor mount locations and bell housing bolt patterns as a Chevy small or big block. The Duramax has roughly the same external dimensions as a big block, weighs about the same, and again has the same bell housing bolt pattern. There are significant differences between a Ram with a Cummins and one with a gas engine.