2010-ford-4-4-liter-diesel-engine-scooped

RangerM

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

As I understand the debate, the real question is not whether or not Ford will produce their 4.4L V8. It's whether or not they will offer it in retail customer units of the F-150. For Ford, the ecoboost is proving almost as efficient as a diesel with far less cost. There is reduced torque, but it is more than any LD pick-up can really use - including the F-150.

I am very confident that it will appear in the Super Duty and E-series (and E-series replacement). It will likely show up in the Expedition/Navigator. It will probably be an option for fleet buyers in the F-150 so that Ford can manage supply/demand better.

I could be completely wrong about that, but I highly doubt Ford would never produce an engine they've already dropped hundreds of millions into. If anything, they would change their launch expectations and offerings, but not cancel it all together.

• 2 weeks later...
http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssConsume...342512720090114

The dispute Navistar-Ford is over. Can we expect the 4.4-litre now? I think so.

"Navistar had claimed in its lawsuit that Ford planned to produce a 4.4-liter diesel engine for the F-150 on its own, a move that it said violates the contract with Navistar. The Warrenville, Illinois-based company claimed it had spent millions of millions of dollars to develop a next-generation diesel engine for Ford code-named "Lion" for use in the pickup trucks and other vehicles and sought hundreds of millions of dollars in damages from the automaker."

Reuters

The 4.4 program is dead or on indefinite hold. GM's 4.5 is dead or on indefinite hold. Dodge w/ the Cummins V6 probably won't happen because Chrysler is going away soon. Ford especially does not have the stomach to launch a smaller V8 diesel now given the financial situation and their investment in ecoboost.

The Warrenville, Illinois-based company claimed it had spent millions of millions of dollars to develop a next-generation diesel engine for Ford code-named "Lion" for use in the pickup trucks and other vehicles and sought hundreds of millions of dollars in damages from the automaker.

Funny thing is the Lion is a very successful V6 diesel widely used in many vehicles in Europe.

Ford took extreme care not to use any technology (or engineers) from the Lion project in either the 4.4L or the 6.7L V8 !

Funny thing is the Lion is a very successful V6 diesel widely used in many vehicles in Europe.

Ford took extreme care not to use any technology (or engineers) from the Lion project in either the 4.4L or the 6.7L V8 !

All the more pricey then and more painful to never put to large scale production; at least the 4.4L if we are to believe the rumors.

The 4.4 program is dead or on indefinite hold. GM's 4.5 is dead or on indefinite hold. Dodge w/ the Cummins V6 probably won't happen because Chrysler is going away soon. Ford especially does not have the stomach to launch a smaller V8 diesel now given the financial situation and their investment in ecoboost.

If we wait long enough even technology we haven't though of will become obsolete. :banghead:

• 2 months later...
Dodge w/ the Cummins V6 probably won't happen because Chrysler is going away soon.

Wondering here what it would take to get that Cummins V6 into the engine bay of an F150. With Chrysler on the ropes, I would be willing to bet that the board room of Cummins is likely seeking someone else to pick up (excuse the pun) this motor for their line....

Wondering here what it would take to get that Cummins V6 into the engine bay of an F150. With Chrysler on the ropes, I would be willing to bet that the board room of Cummins is likely seeking someone else to pick up (excuse the pun) this motor for their line....

That would be assuming the Cummins would be better and/or cheaper. I've seen nothing that would show that is the case.

And with the EB engines delivering near diesel torque, I think the 4.4 won't see the light for consumer applications. It'll be put in commercial trucks only.

That would be assuming the Cummins would be better and/or cheaper. I've seen nothing that would show that is the case.

And with the EB engines delivering near diesel torque, I think the 4.4 won't see the light for consumer applications. It'll be put in commercial trucks only.

Actually, that is what surprises me most. Without the 4.4L, Ford has no diesel options for any E series vans, including the SuperDuties. The next gen Transit has been delayed so the E Series will soldier on for at least 3 or 4 more years. The 5.0L will replace the 4.6L and the 6.2L will replace the V10, but I don't think they will bother to fit an EcoBoost in the E150.

If the price of diesel continues to drop (and I think it will) and gets back to $0.10 - $0.25 less per gallon than regular, Ford is going to have "egg on their face". The only good news is that Ford can put it back on the front burner and get it out the door in about 9 - 18 months.

The 4.4-litre V8 attracts some readers at pickuptrucks.com

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/03/gm-an...rship.html#more

They had me going for a second there ! I never though Ford would JV with GM on a transmission (the 6Fxx), so ...

Interesting that they picked Chihuahua as the "theoretical" manufacturing site. It kind of goes along with my comments that even though the 4.4L is "off the burner", I still believe it could be out the door in less than 2 years, if Ford wanted it.

Can you imagine the screams if diesel get down to below $1.75 this year !

Actually, that is what surprises me most. Without the 4.4L, Ford has no diesel options for any E series vans, including the SuperDuties. The next gen Transit has been delayed so the E Series will soldier on for at least 3 or 4 more years. The 5.0L will replace the 4.6L and the 6.2L will replace the V10, but I don't think they will bother to fit an EcoBoost in the E150.

If the price of diesel continues to drop (and I think it will) and gets back to $0.10 - $0.25 less per gallon than regular, Ford is going to have "egg on their face". The only good news is that Ford can put it back on the front burner and get it out the door in about 9 - 18 months.

This is actually a weak spot I agree with you on. If Ford does make the 4.4 at all, the E series should be first job. I'd consider the ambulance market "commercial". So that falls into what I was saying above.

But yes, I think the ambulance market should get a diesel one way or another.

I hardly think that the diesel price will fall to 1.75 dollars but the price is now 2.26 for a gallon with premium petrol equal at 2.24 dollars...

I passed 2 or 3 facilities today in SE MI where regular grade gasoline was $1.989 and diesel was $1.999.

Edited by theoldwizard

I passed 2 or 3 facilities today in SE MI where regular grade gasoline was $1.989 and diesel was $1.999.

A couple weeks ago, diesel was $1.84 and regular was $1.89 here. Now, it's $2.09 for diesel and $1.99 for regular. That's a 5% difference, so with a 15-20% improvement in FE, you still come out ahead.

Here's one for you, the new Land Rover 3.0 V6 turbo Diesel puts out 240 hp and 445 lb ft.

An Ecoboost 3.0 V6 will put out around 320 hp/320 lb ft, it has no chance of getting near that torque.

I know there's the problem with NOX but I'm confident manufacturers will find an economic way

around that puzzler in the next 2-3 years, they have to before the EU adopts similar NOX rules as the US.

Edited by jpd80

Here's one for you, the new Land Rover 3.0 V6 turbo Diesel puts out 240 hp and 445 lb ft.

An Ecoboost 3.0 V6 will put out around 320 hp/320 lb ft, it has no chance of getting near that torque.

Ford hasn't even tested a 3.0 EB to my knowledge. Only 3.5 V6 EB and 2.5 I4 EB. So any torque numbers are sheer guesses.