5.0L in the new Mustang

Ford-150

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still doubt those numbers, have to wait and see.

call me optimistic but this is a different Ford that is not going to let competitors take sales away from them as they did before

i feel this Mustang will be like a bat out of hell that no one saw coming, i think it will get a big "surprised" factor when they compare it to the new Camaro

everybody is out to get the Mustang and Ford knows it, not just the Camaro and Challenger are out to get Mustang sales, so is the new Hyundai Genesis Coupe so Ford is not going to let this Mustang stay dormant

but i could be wrong...i have been before

Two engines testing:

1. 5.0 all aluminum DOHC, PFI, VCT. Probably 340 HP in the GT.

2. 5.0 all aluminum DOHC, TTDI, TIVCT, Shelby stuff, big HP over 500.

Maybe a 5.4 version for the F Series.

Thank you so much for coming back. Your posts are a highlight of my day.

Two engines testing:

1. 5.0 all aluminum DOHC, PFI, VCT. Probably 340 HP in the GT.

2. 5.0 all aluminum DOHC, TTDI, TIVCT, Shelby stuff, big HP over 500.

Maybe a 5.4 version for the F Series.

Welcome back. Those numbers are more reasonable, in line with reality and possibility.

Welcome back. Those numbers are more reasonable, in line with reality and possibility.

Except for the fact that you can get 40 horsepower from bolt-ons alone on a 3 valve 4.6L, no way does 20 cubes, bigger bores, VCT, 4 valve heads, and more compression make only 340, plus that would get spanked by the LS3 Camaro 400-430 horse and Dodge Hemi making 425-440.

The new Ford is no longer retarded to pull something like that off..

400h, 360t.

Edited by Blueblood

Except for the fact that you can get 40 horsepower from bolt-ons alone on a 3 valve 4.6L, no way does 20 cubes, bigger bores, VCT, 4 valve heads, and more compression make only 340, plus that would get spanked by the LS3 Camaro 400-430 horse and Dodge Hemi making 425-440.

The new Ford is no longer retarded to pull something like that off..

400h, 360t.

We'll see, but I still don't believe it will be 400 hp. As for the other cars, based on the numbers, they will barely beat the Mustang now (if they even would). It doesn't really matter if its 340 or 400. It will still be the most popular car in its class by a long shot.

Here is the dilemma.

1 insider says 400hp is confirmed. The other says probably 340hp. Which do you believe?

They are probably both right. 340HP is probably the "official" number that Ford wanted to leak and 400HP is probably the real number.

The 2000 Cobra R's 5.4L made an "official" 385HP, which was believed to be under rated. Ford should be able better that number 10 years later with a much improved engine, don't ya think?

They are probably both right. 340HP is probably the "official" number that Ford wanted to leak and 400HP is probably the real number.

The 2000 Cobra R's 5.4L made an "official" 385HP, which was believed to be under rated. Ford should be able better that number 10 years later with a much improved engine, don't ya think?

Maybe it will be 400hp, I just won't be surprised or disappointed if it isn't.

Here is the dilemma.

1 insider says 400hp is confirmed. The other says probably 340hp. Which do you believe?

considering that 315-320 is already avail with minute adjustments/ add ons to the 4.6 upping the cubes to 5.0 with a much more sophisticated modern powertrain 340 is IMO a total cop out, 375 should be the minimum, add in the camaro and Challenger competition and 340 just wont cut the competitive mustard, so my opinion is firmly in the 400hp camp! Don't let me down Ford.

hmm...i would be disappointed if it only got 340 HP but then again i can't be that disapointed, look at last time a GM car had 400 HP, it was not a whole faster than the 05+ Mustang GT, so if they are giving the new Mustang 40 more HP with a higher reving, larger engine i believe it will be right there with the Camaro, i was hoping 400 HP for the fact that the Camaro probably would not stand a chance

another possibility is what NLPRacing said was right

also the engine might be making 340 HP without all the technology on it or without DI.....so when it hits production it might be 400 HP

either way thank you so much Blue II for coming back and sharing info with us again

and like Deanh i firmly believe Ford will put it out with something around 400 HP

but I am happy to see Ford developing new engine and not slacking with the competition since its pretty much all but confirmed by Ford that the new Mustang will get the 5.0L

Edited by Ford-150

hmm...i would be disappointed if it only got 340 HP but then again i can't be that disapointed, look at last time a GM car had 400 HP, it was not a whole faster than the 05+ Mustang GT, so if they are giving the new Mustang 40 more HP with a higher reving, larger engine i believe it will be right there with the Camaro, i was hoping 400 HP for the fact that the Camaro probably would not stand a chance

another possibility is what NLPRacing said was right

also the engine might be making 340 HP without all the technology on it or without DI.....so when it hits production it might be 400 HP

either way thank you so much Blue II for coming back and sharing info with us again

and like Deanh i firmly believe Ford will put it out with something around 400 HP

but I am happy to see Ford developing new engine and not slacking with the competition since its pretty much all but confirmed by Ford that the new Mustang will get the 5.0L

happy as well, but Ford cannot be seen to be dragging its feet....hopefully the 340 refers to an ecoboost alaSVT Mustang version...which sounds like a lighter weight screamer......PS, GM etc had a hands on ltely on the Flex ( impressive interior with LUXURIOUS leather seats ), saw a REAL picture of the new Taurus and Fusion ( thumbs up big time ), and had a look at and ecoboost display...but what impressed me the most was what their conclusions were of the meetings entirety.....all that were there said the same thing...theres a buzz of positive energy in the air.....

I personally would be disappointed in a 5.0l DOHC v8 with VCT boasting marginal gains over the Shelby GT and Bullit power plant. Hopefully fbmphil heard it from a different source as well, to back the 400hp mark.

Edited by atomaro

Given that the 4.6L 3V VCT PFI V8 makes 300 hp and ~320 tq, is it so hard to believe that an engine with 10% more displacement and who's only other improvement is to go DOHC 4V is predicted to make about 13% more hp and an undetermined amount of torque? Notice blue II didn't specify TiVCT for the base GT motor either, so only intake VCT should be expected. Given all that, I won't be shocked to see the 5.0 come in at 340/350 on the same fuel as the current motor.

That's also not to say there won't be SE versions of the vehicle. An SE that gets TiVCT and GDI could easily push 400 hp and similar torque. It will be disapointing if the new base GT really isn't any more potent than the current Shelby GT. I would have expected better.

However, here, we have two usually reliable sources that are giving conflicting information. Yet, their information is compatible with engine tech that can make production, so, we just need a good, solid, confirmed leak of what configuration of the 5.0L will be in the new GT.

Given theDuratec 35/37power and torque levels, a 5.0 V8 with an extra 40 hp and 40 lbft over the 4.6 isn't a stretch.

Those power levels will be impressive in a light Mustang.:)

I want my cake and eat it too...and would really be nice when the bow tie boy with blackheads can be squashed with literal bragging rights for after touting a supposed chevy superiority