Trouble at the top?

"While the Camry, Corolla, Yaris and Prius sedans are reportedly brisk movers, the same thing cannot be said about Toyota's line of trucks and sport utility vehicles."

Wow, now this is a revelation! Even Toyota SUVS and Trucks are not selling with gas almost $4 gas and a recession in place???!??!

This is affecting all the auto makers. The test is who will respond the best to the challenges presented.

Edited by smok

Link

:reading:

I concur with this guys comment.

"Toyota is just a fad that's passing by!! Now that the domestic are fully awake, you will see innovations that the Japanese are not good in doing. They are great copiers and no can take that away from them."

"While the Camry, Corolla, Yaris and Prius sedans are reportedly brisk movers, the same thing cannot be said about Toyota's line of trucks and sport utility vehicles."

Wow, now this is a revelation! Even Toyota SUVS and Trucks are not selling with gas almost $4 gas and a recession in place???!??!

This is affecting all the auto makers. The test is who will respond the best to the challenges presented.

Gee looks like conquest sales for the Edge, and MKX. I gave one of my X-Plan pins to another user so he could pitch his POS 4Runner. Wo Wo Wo Wo, What a feeling. :hysterical:

yeah, the "experts" predicted that Toyota would "take the last bastion of Detroit" easily. Now they got two plants making useless gas hogs and I bet there will be some down time to 'adjust inventory'.

Edited by 630land

LOL, in other news, Ford trucks and SUVs are flying off the lots, dealers can't keep them on the lots. :hysterical:

Nobody claimed that. However, Toyota is failing to steal any market share from the Big 3 in those vaunted 1/2 ton trucks either. For the 2nd year in a row, Toyota will fail to meet sales goals for the Tundra -- you know, that truck that's supposed to be changing it all?

Bububububu...according to the trolls on here, the toyota giant is unstoppable and is showing the world the way with it's truck.

They are untouchable, Ford and GM only prosper in the truck market because the toyota truck (that is changing it all) wasn't there yet.

You mean there only human too? But I thought they were the "super race"?

Bububububu...according to the trolls on here, the toyota giant is unstoppable and is showing the world the way with it's truck.

They are untouchable, Ford and GM only prosper in the truck market because the toyota truck (that is changing it all) wasn't there yet.

You mean there only human too? But I thought they were the "super race"?

I don't feel inferior to that race, I can work just as hard or harder while being quality conscious.

Toyota are the biggest losers of sales in Europe sales dropped -11.4%

http://www.jato.com/Documents/PRESS%20RELE...015.04.2008.pdf

Toyota might be losing sales in the US but there are others with much bigger drop off in sales.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/05/01/by-the-...ers-april-2008/

Yep we've seen off Toyota in Europe. Brands like Peugeot and even Fiat are caning them nowadays. In fact I always think of Honda as the stronger brand here. Not sure if that's true though.

I wouldn't laugh at Toyota too much though. They are making the right overall line up of cars in the USA and sales are still dropping overall at GM and Ford. I'd also question the obssession with Toyota on here. In a sense I think they've peaked, but Hyundai and others are coming now. They are the ones to worry about.

If you really take notice of who is buying the Tundra, they are NOT real truck guys. Rarely are their trucks being used or found on construction sites. The people buying Tundras are suburban MEN who want to look tough etc in their truck. I bet 90% of Tundras never see a dirt road let alone a job site or similar duty. I see lots of guys going to their office jobs in their Tundra with ties on. Now that gas is rediculous, these commuters will soon take notice of their fuel bills and sales of the Tundra will peel off even worse. Although construction is slowing greatly, construction professionals will still have needs of real work trucks. Obviously the numbers won't be what they once were, but generally speaking, I don't think you'll start to see Tundras popping up all over America at job sites.

Yep we've seen off Toyota in Europe. Brands like Peugeot and even Fiat are caning them nowadays. In fact I always think of Honda as the stronger brand here. Not sure if that's true though.

I wouldn't laugh at Toyota too much though. They are making the right overall line up of cars in the USA and sales are still dropping overall at GM and Ford. I'd also question the obssession with Toyota on here. In a sense I think they've peaked, but Hyundai and others are coming now. They are the ones to worry about.

I noticed Jaguar/Land Rover are going to use the Daimler to supply parts in the future T-Stag could Mercedes be interested in buying Jaguar?

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/05/05/jaguar-...l-with-daimler/

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

If you really take notice of who is buying the Tundra, they are NOT real truck guys. Rarely are their trucks being used or found on construction sites. The people buying Tundras are suburban MEN who want to look tough etc in their truck. I bet 90% of Tundras never see a dirt road let alone a job site or similar duty. I see lots of guys going to their office jobs in their Tundra with ties on. Now that gas is rediculous, these commuters will soon take notice of their fuel bills and sales of the Tundra will peel off even worse. Although construction is slowing greatly, construction professionals will still have needs of real work trucks. Obviously the numbers won't be what they once were, but generally speaking, I don't think you'll start to see Tundras popping up all over America at job sites.

And I'm sure that these guys have rainbow flag stickers and decals on their Toyotas as well!

I'm always a bit wary of article where percentages are quoted.

For arguements take, if Tundra sales off say 17% of 200K/year, that would be 34,000 down but

for F Trucks that same 17% on 650K/year becomes 111, 000.

Easy to see which company gets hurt more.

Edited by jpd80

but how does self same percentages count, when say tundra production has been upped 15% in FORECASTED amounts and F-series has been reduced 30% for 2008MY to offset for the decline of the big truck?

doesn't that factor in better? even if your down, if your making LESS of what is down, it puts you in a better position.

Edited by nilkilla

even if your down, if your making LESS of what is down, it puts you in a better position.

Not if you just sank millions into building a factory to churn out the product that is down and are now reducing shifts and slowing the assembly line already.

I noticed Jaguar/Land Rover are going to use the Daimler to supply parts in the future T-Stag could Mercedes be interested in buying Jaguar?

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/05/05/jaguar-...l-with-daimler/

I think Daimler would have liked JLR but the timing was wrong following the Chrysler demerger. I think Daimler is actually trying to hook up with JLR so that the can share development costs and more importantly stop Alfa Romeo getting their hands on JLR technology. JLR has always been a competitor to Daimler, but I don't think they really want JLR working with Alfa Romeo and giving them aLuminium RWD technology. A case of keep your enemies close to you maybe.....