Dealers Worry About Mercury

I disagree on all counts. Mercury no longer has the volume to afford using its own wheelbases of platforms. Even using completely unique sheet metal is a stretch these days.

And sharing dealerships is a bad idea as well. Many people buy Lincolns and Mercurys because of the dealership experience. Do you really think the same guy who is used to selling Focuses and F-150s is going to know how to handle someone looking for a Lincoln MKS? The same extends to the service department. L-M consistently ranks near the top of the list in service experience -- Ford? Not so much.

The reason Mercury doesn't have the volume is because it has been mismanaged! It could have the volume again if Ford would work at it.

And no, I would not necessarily buy a Ford if Mercury went away. I get treated very nice at my Lincoln-Mercury dealership. Ford dealers, in my experience, act like jerks. I might go to Buick, or even Chrysler, if they built something nice looking that wasn't junk.

When I think of Ford dealers, I think of F150 pickups and Explorers, Toby Keith and Alan Jackson, and subprime customers who have difficulty qualifying for a loan on a Focus. I think of younger, less experienced salesmen and finance managers who push hard for "extras" like life insurance on the car loan. I think of goofy local ads that insult my intelligence and appeal to the lowest common denominator. I think of service departments with high turnover and hard "upsales" of stuff I don't need.

When I think of a Lincoln Mercury dealer, I think of a low-key, low-pressure sales experience with respectful sales and service personnel.

With Mercury, Ford has a chance of appealing to me with a nicer dealer experience than I'm going to receive at a Ford dealership. I'm willing to spend a little more to buy a Mercury to receive the better experience and slightly more upscale nameplate. Unless Lincolns are going to be offered at Mercury prices, I'm not going to shop Lincoln.

All dealers should be using experienced salesmen and finance managers. Sometimes they don't. Hard pushing sales staff make the money. With low-pressure sales, you need a higher price (Less high pressure dealing) to make the same profit. This only works if you have a unique car. If you have a rebadged car, many people will put up with asshole salesman that will offer you that extra $1000.00 off.

And no, I would not necessarily buy a Ford if Mercury went away. I get treated very nice at my Lincoln-Mercury dealership. Ford dealers, in my experience, act like jerks. I might go to Buick, or even Chrysler, if they built something nice looking that wasn't junk.

I agree with you whole heartedly. I'm a Mercury lover at heart--dispite the fact that there has not been much to love of late! There are some nice looking Buicks on their way--same goes for Chrysler. It may only be badge engineering, but I do not want a car that looks like every other car. While Mercury styling is not as sharp as in it's past, it is still better than Fords.

Many say they wouldn't, but when it comes down to it, what else would they buy? It's easy to say you wouldn't buy something else as long as Mercury is still available, but if it was gone, what would they REALLY buy? Maybe a Buick? I don't see most of them suddenly turning to import makes....or even other non-Ford American makes.

Besides, the days of Ford being a "poor man's brand" are long behind us. There used to be a time when there was definite distinction in the images offered by brands. Ford was the bottom. Chevy was the bottom. Today there aren't many "bottom" brands being marketed. Maybe Scion. But the mainstream brands are just that. They offer up more content and quality now than they ever have in the past, pretty much negating the need for all of the 'tweener' brands like Mercury, Buick, and Oldsmobile.

I would not buy a Ford. I agree there could and should be better distinction between brands, but Fords do indeed seem like a poor man's car regardless of content. I would not buy a Honda/Toyota for the same reason--they are common and there is nothing special about them. Yes I would look at Buick, Chrysler and Saturn preferribly something American if there were no Mercury. I would not consider a Mazda or Volvo and unless they are truely going to make Lincoln a bargain basement $, I cannot afford one.

I guess my big thing with Lexus, Acura, BMW, Mercedes and the like--most of the ones you see on the road are all low-end models. People buying what the can at the lowest posible price so that they say they own a .... This is what is squeezing out the middle brands like Mercury. Lincoln and Cadilllac were always high end regardless, there was no entry level--you either played or you didn't. I think in the long run this will hurt the luxury brands when people discover that they too are common and may eventually make them middle brands. Why else would M-B bring back Maybach and BMW buy Rolls!

Ford needs to take a lesson from GM. They market Buicks in foreign markets. When those foreigners come here -- and they will -- they will be use to the Buick name. And give Mercury (or Lincoln) a convertible equal to the Mercedes, Caddys, etc. Also, a Cougar would be nice.

Mercury has always traditionally been marketed to upper middle class, conservative professionals - accountants, dentists, engineers, etc. It was a make that showed you had a certain level of success in life, but you were also not the type who wanted to draw attention to yourself.

Mercury today is a complete mess. Whomever came up with the idea of marketing to women should be fired. It has been an utter failure. Their product line is too feminine, and has nothing for the traditional Mercury buyer, besides the Grand Marquis.

Beyond that, Mercury, for the last 40 years, has always risen and fallen with their traditional, full sized sedan. The fact the 2003 update on the Grand Marquis was underwhelming, and it's complete neglect since then, should tell you what is going to happen to Mercury.

Most Mercury buyers have migrated over to Honda or Toyota as their products grew larger, and more mainstream. I think the Mercury buyers that are still left will follow them once Mercury dies. Buick might snag a few of them, but I don't see Lincoln or Ford benefitting much.

Conversely, taking Lincoln downmarket effectively kills Mercury as well. Mazda is a nonstarter as well - their vehicles tend to look very homely, and they are not soft or plush enough for Mercury buyers.

What do I know - except I've spent my own money to own two Mercury's in a row.

You know, the issue really is not how loyal that Lincoln/Mercury buyers are, but rather, what cars should be sold in Lincoln/Mercury dealerships. I would not say that Mercury buyers are loyal to Mercury cars, rather they are loyal to their dealerships. Ford needs to take advantage of that loyalty and sell the cars they really want.

Ford needs to finally put all these "rumor articles" to bed sooner rather than later and tell the public if Mercury is to continue or not. All this is doing is causing undue stress for Lincoln/Mercury dealers and cause prospectijve Mercury customers to think harder about buying one since it may not be around much longer. All Ford is doing is putting Mercury out on a limb and leaving it hang there year after year. Not fair to customers and dealers. Put it out of its misery soon. I don't see that Ford has the time and resources to build this brand up again. Lots of iconic brands will be leaving soon anyway like GMC, Pontiac, and Buick. GM is spending billions on new product and still Pontiac and Buick languish. Ford cannot gamble by spending billions on Mercury. No way.

You know, the issue really is not how loyal that Lincoln/Mercury buyers are, but rather, what cars should be sold in Lincoln/Mercury dealerships. I would not say that Mercury buyers are loyal to Mercury cars, rather they are loyal to their dealerships. Ford needs to take advantage of that loyalty and sell the cars they really want.

I would say that im not loyal to the dealers I have had good and bad experiences with L/M dealers my loyalty is to the brand.

Merc will fade away like Plymouth, and dealers can't sue since they are culling the herd. Anyone who thinks the Merc name is "better" is living in the past. Nothing better about it, just a badge, and 98% of the real world couldn't care less and is not impressed with the 'better' name.

I can see why dealers are worrying, if Honda told Honda stealers "No stocking" on Accords, they'd be rightfully concerned too. :redcard:

Oh wait, they also sell a few Civics.

If the entire Mercury brand managed to sell on par with the Accord alone, you might be on to something.

• 3 weeks later...
Selling Mazda in Lincoln dealerships would work. Mazda uses the same platforms as Ford, but look and act different. Mazda also does not compete with Lincoln.

Adding an association with Lincoln could raise the price of the Mazdas and maybe increase sales. The Mazdas will go a long way in bringing new non-Ford customers into Lincoln dealerships. Then Ford could kill Mercury and save money on having to do major product development on Mercury.

Only problem is that Ford only owns 30% of Mazda. They will have profit flowing to Japan and staying there.

I think I'm starting to like the idea of a Lincoln-Mazda dealer pairup.

Edited by rmc523

Mazda is a nonstarter as well - their vehicles tend to look very homely, and they are not soft or plush enough for Mercury buyers.

Some of Mazda's recent products, however, are becoming very nice inside and out, the CX-9 comes to mind.