Road & Track's Take On MKS

hbalek

What I do not understand is Ford owns a car company (Volvo) that is recogonized as offering the most comfortable and safest seats in the car industry. So why is Ford not taking advantage of using a more Volvo type seat or at least put active head restraints in their flagship Lincoln, or better yet in all their vehicles?

Navigator seats were designed by Volvo.

They thought the styling was bland, and that the second complaint I've read about the headrests being uncomfortable.

The headrests in a car could be made of spikes and I likely wouldn't notice until I got rear-ended. People actually use headrests to rest their head? In fact, they are called head restraints. They aren't intended for resting your head.

The headrest design is nothing new. It's been in the Mustang and Edge for 2-3 years now. If you like to sit straight up then they can be a problem because they will force your head forward. But if you recline the seat a little they're fine. They just take a little getting used to.

What I do not understand is Ford owns a car company (Volvo) that is recogonized as offering the most comfortable and safest seats in the car industry. So why is Ford not taking advantage of using a more Volvo type seat or at least put active head restraints in their flagship Lincoln, or better yet in all their vehicles?

On the latest head restraint tests done a couple years ago, the Ford 500 and Freestyle scored the highest and thus were the safest in a rearender. I would say Ford learned something from Volvo.

The headrest design is nothing new. It's been in the Mustang and Edge for 2-3 years now. If you like to sit straight up then they can be a problem because they will force your head forward. But if you recline the seat a little they're fine. They just take a little getting used to.

In my opinion that is the best type of headrest there is, the one that you don't have to lean back into.

a side of caribou/elk/moose/reindeer stew

Given a choice, that side'll be mesquite-roasted, after hanging at least 3 weeks. Party Time. Serve with heritage veggies and maple syrup, hot mustard. Serve with a full-bore red from Chile and/or Bras d'Or, as cold as possible (the Bras d'Or, I mean). :)

Edited by Edstock

People should stop comparing this car to BMW's, Audi's, Merc's, etc. This car is cheaper than equivalent models from other manufacturers. So therefore it's not a fair comparison.

The problem with this car is the it is FWD when the premium car world is going RWD or AWD. The styling is interesting because to a European like me it seems extreme with that cheese grater for a grill but to some Americans at least it's apparntley bland and some have said why could they Ford make it as exciting as a car like the Jag XF...... The interior looks OK to me but is nothing to write home about.

I think the car is OK for America but I'd like to see Ford try harder with Lincoln and spend more money on it if it really wants to have a go at the likes of Lexus, Jag and BMW....

People should stop comparing this car to BMW's, Audi's, Merc's, etc. This car is cheaper than equivalent models from other manufacturers. So therefore it's not a fair comparison.

The problem with this car is the it is FWD when the premium car world is going RWD or AWD. The styling is interesting because to a European like me it seems extreme with that cheese grater for a grill but to some Americans at least it's apparntley bland and some have said why could they Ford make it as exciting as a car like the Jag XF...... The interior looks OK to me but is nothing to write home about.

I think the car is OK for America but I'd like to see Ford try harder with Lincoln and spend more money on it if it really wants to have a go at the likes of Lexus, Jag and BMW....

Oh look a Jaguar reference. So predictable.

BTW Audi makes FWD vehicles, the XF's exterior design (namely the front/side profile) isn't exactly 'thrilling' either.