Ford Flex - Counterpoint

Most dogs are very social. Most the time dogs would prefer to go with their owners than stay home alone waiting for someone to come home and play with them. This is a lot different than cats, which like attention on their terms and when they feel they need/want the attention.

Now I don't take my dog everywhere, but if we go to a family function, she comes and plays with everyone elses dog. Go to see relatives across the state, she comes. Can't really take a cat for a walk around the lake or park or play catch, etc. Now those downtown functions, not so much fun with your dog in tow. More trouble than it's worth for only a couple hours.

Yeah, our dog gets really butt hurt when she notices we are heading out the door. Tail stops wagging and she gives us this 'please take me with you' look. We don't take her everywhere either, partially because she's getting and old weighs 110 pounds (have to give her a lift to get in the car sometimes). But the minute you mention a car ride, watch out....

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, our dog gets really butt hurt when she notices we are heading out the door. Tail stops wagging and she gives us this 'please take me with you' look. We don't take her everywhere either, partially because she's getting and old weighs 110 pounds (have to give her a lift to get in the car sometimes). But the minute you mention a car ride, watch out....

thats a big Shitzu.....

My dad had enough room in his Lumina to carry a weeks worth of clothes for himself and my two brothers, a weeks worth of food (three squares a day), fishing supplies, life jackets, pillows, etc.

People can cram if the need to.

Lets see, first the Lumina was a slightly larger car than the Altima is. Secondly, there is literally no space in the back seat of the Altima with the 2 car seats. Heck our 45lb Shar Pei can't even fit between the car seats. Sure there is plenty of trunk space for all the gear, but not enough cabin area for 5 people (2 in car seats) and a dog.

Why do you always have to try and be right, P? Are you us? Have you been in our situation with an Altima? So what if your dad had a POS Lumina, we know what we can/can't fit in the Altima. Even if we crammed it would be a saftey hazard that I wouldn't put my children in. So thanks for the insight, but not eveyone is you or your family and is willing to sacrifice safety for cramming more crap in a car.

Really, you never saw a Rainier or 9-7X? Hmm...well I suppose that is part of the reason they've been dropped, LOL. IMO, Saab's 9-7X was the best looking of the bunch.

saab97xaero.jpg

It looks better in person than in pictures as well, IMO.

I dislike the looks of all them. The TB SS has some nice power, but otherwise dislike the overall ergonomics and style (inside & out) of these trucks. Just typical copy cat bland GM vehicles.

I hear ya! If our Shar Pei hears the car keys, she'll sit at the door and wait for you begging to go with. Pick up her leash and she goes crazy.

Lets see, first the Lumina was a slightly larger car than the Altima is. Secondly, there is literally no space in the back seat of the Altima with the 2 car seats. Heck our 45lb Shar Pei can't even fit between the car seats. Sure there is plenty of trunk space for all the gear, but not enough cabin area for 5 people (2 in car seats) and a dog.

Why do you always have to try and be right, P? Are you us? Have you been in our situation with an Altima? So what if your dad had a POS Lumina, we know what we can/can't fit in the Altima. Even if we crammed it would be a saftey hazard that I wouldn't put my children in. So thanks for the insight, but not eveyone is you or your family and is willing to sacrifice safety for cramming more crap in a car.

Being the oldest of 4 I recall when my parents had two car seats in our Taurus with me crammed in the middle, not a pretty site.....and I was only in the 1st grade at the time.

I dislike the looks of all them. The TB SS has some nice power, but otherwise dislike the overall ergonomics and style (inside & out) of these trucks. Just typical copy cat bland GM vehicles.

I didn't say any of them look good, I just said I think the Saab was the best looking of all of them.

Being the oldest of 4 I recall when my parents had two car seats in our Taurus with me crammed in the middle, not a pretty site.....and I was only in the 1st grade at the time.

Taurus is also slightly bigger than the Altima, and car seats are just as big if not bigger now, but even with that, what were you're chances of getting hurt in that car in that situation? What year was the Taurus? Heck, I remember cramming my dad, mom, older brother and I in a Reg. Cab F150 up until I was around 11 or 12. We didn't know any better then though, just like not wearing seat belts. Now we know and I'd never put my kids through that.

I'm not worried about my driving and the kids getting hurt, it's all the other wackos on the road who don't know what a "Stop" sign means (complete stop, not slow and go style), or what a turn signal is or what "Yield" means, etc. Been in four accidents, all the other drivers fault due to running red lights or failing to yield the right of way. One accident was with 2 of my kids and the dog on board. After seeing those events unfold and how scared the kids were, I'll never put them in harms way simply to cram a few extra items in the car.

Taurus is also slightly bigger than the Altima, and car seats are just as big if not bigger now, but even with that, what were you're chances of getting hurt in that car in that situation? What year was the Taurus? Heck, I remember cramming my dad, mom, older brother and I in a Reg. Cab F150 up until I was around 11 or 12. We didn't know any better then though, just like not wearing seat belts. Now we know and I'd never put my kids through that.

I'm not worried about my driving and the kids getting hurt, it's all the other wackos on the road who don't know what a "Stop" sign means (complete stop, not slow and go style), or what a turn signal is or what "Yield" means, etc. Been in four accidents, all the other drivers fault due to running red lights or failing to yield the right of way. One accident was with 2 of my kids and the dog on board. After seeing those events unfold and how scared the kids were, I'll never put them in harms way simply to cram a few extra items in the car.

If I'm not mistaken it was an 86' or 87'. We eventually ended up with a conversion van for a few years

So what if your dad had a POS Lumina...

Wow...you crazy Ford people have really high standards. Most reasonable people would agree that 170K of relatively trouble free miles would mean the car is NOT a POS. I think the biggest things to happen to him was an alternator, that was swapped on the side of the road in about a half hour, and a failed starter. And amazingly, the spark plugs stay where they belong, and when it is time to replace them, they are not cemented in the engine.

Unless you mean "POS" as in Pretty O-mazing Sedan...

Wow...you crazy Ford people have really high standards. Most reasonable people would agree that 170K of relatively trouble free miles would mean the car is NOT a POS. I think the biggest things to happen to him was an alternator, that was swapped on the side of the road in about a half hour, and a failed starter. And amazingly, the spark plugs stay where they belong, and when it is time to replace them, they are not cemented in the engine.

I don't care how long it lasts for, its still a POS.

We had an auto repair and towing business for 9 years. Worked on more than my fair share of Luminas. Your dad got lucky............ they really are major POS. Try picking the chunks of pot metal out of the intake manifold............. with dental picks............. because stupid f'in GM decided that pot metal, in an aluminum manifold, with crappy water running through it, was a good idea. Hint............. its called coolant leak, and that was part of the heating system. If I see another dental pick before I die (outside of my dentists office), it will be too soon.

However, I suppose that my hands on experience with many, many Luminas does not come close to being more legit than your experience of being crammed in the back seat of your dads. :rolleyes:

BTW, you just aged yourself. Just as I figured. You are in the "I know everything about everything age." As if I couldn't already tell.

Never said I had high standards in domesitc cars. Heck, the Ford cars of the same years weren't any better than the GM's. Just because I'm on a Ford forum and call a Lumina a POS doesn't mean I'm a Ford cheerleader. I'm not blind to the goods/bads of each make/model. This is why when it comes to cars, I've only purchased Honda's or Nissan's, not one Ford car. Trucks, now that is another story. With the Nissan's/Honda's me and my immediate family have owned, that 170K trouble free miles is the norm. Most the people I know with GMs, Dodges and Fords of the Lumina time frame can't say the same. Almost all had some type of huge failure before 100K if not 50K-75K miles. You can bring up the 5.4L spark plug issue, it's a problem for sure and I don't down play it. But what about all those GM problems over the years as well. No make/model is immune to failing.

BTW, you just aged yourself. Just as I figured. You are in the "I know everything about everything age." As if I couldn't already tell.

Yeah I'm kind of new here, but have noticed this and think most people here have known this for a while.

Tried to defend his point of view a few times in the past. Just sad he can't admit when he's wrong or that he's not seeing the full scope of things. Then again we do have some cheerleaders here that are the same way, except they're Ford biased instead of against.

Edited by V8-X