Mulally's Ford looks a lot like Toyota

pcsario

There is NOTHING about bad weather that you would need AWD/FWD. Unless, of course, you don't know how to drive and need nanny of AWD/FWD to keep you on the road.

retarded responses, you've made many, but this one takes the cake -- you cannot possibly be serious

I'd like to see you prove that..an CV with no extra weight over the rear wheels vs a AWD Taurus in about 2-3ft of snow on the ground.

You are officially INSANE if you think any type of car is getting through 2-3 FEET of snow.

And if someone lives where they routinely get 2-3 FEET of snow piled up on the roads, they are not buying some lowly Taurus.

I have NEVER put extra weight in the trunk of my car, and even with it's open differential, I have had ZERO problems in the snow. And that includes the 2 6-12" snowfalls I had to drive in with BALD eagle RS-As. There is not a worse tire made...but I never was stuck.

Are you going to tell me that it didn't snow on earth before the invention of FWD/AWD? My oh my what ever did people do from the birth of the car through the 1970s?

You FAIL...try again.

I am serious...I have never been stuck in the snow with my car.

I take you don't know how to drive...

i'll run ( drive ) circles around buddy , but it's not about you and me -- to most people a car is simply an appliance, one that needs to operate safely especially when the weather gets ugly and the fact of the matter is that FWD/AWD vehicles are easier to operate in such conditions

There is NOTHING about bad weather that you would need AWD/FWD. Unless, of course, you don't know how to drive and need nanny of AWD/FWD to keep you on the road.

When it was icy in the spring I couldn't drive up the drive way in my 300 even with my CS4 tires. The Intrepid had no problem doing the same.

AWD is a silly waste of time with gas at 5 bucks a gallon in a year or two. MPG, durability and resale matter a lot more than AWD in 90% of the market.

Almost all new '09 Escapes and Fusions on Dealer lots around here are FWD and hardly any AWD or 4WD vehicles. Ford Dealers are not ordering them as there is significant fuel penalty. Escape used to be 50/50 mix, but not anymore. I counted about 30 new '09 Escapes on Bill Brown lot, and only two had 4WD. The engine mix between I4 and V6 was about 50/50 though as V6 to me is better deal for about only $800 more and 70 more horsepower and little fuel mileage loss. 26mpg or 28 mpg difference...who cares.

My next car will be AWD, well hopefully. Even down here in FL with some of our afternoon downpours, and slick asphalt, it does help quite a bit. Yes, stability control has helped me out alot, BUT never hurts to have a bit MORE traction in some scarier situations.

My next car will be AWD, well hopefully. Even down here in FL with some of our afternoon downpours, and slick asphalt, it does help quite a bit. Yes, stability control has helped me out alot, BUT never hurts to have a bit MORE traction in some scarier situations.

In Metro Detroit, FWD with traction control works great about 363 days a year on average. If you like to drive up North a lot where they get on average 150 inches of snow/year, AWD or 4WD is the way to go. I used to have vacation home in Nothern Michigan, and back then had 4WD Bronco II with V6 engine and traction control on both axles. I still got stuck two times in heavy drifts and had to dig out, but most times the 4WD got me out of lots of problems. In Metro Detroit, 4WD is waste of money.

Wow.............. so, according to you............ only 10% of the market gets inclimant weather.

Okey Dokey.

BTW, AWD does nothing to durability. Modern AWD systems having NOTHING in common with part-time 4wd.

Can't say l ever see piles 2WD heading of the road into hedges every time it rains, most AWD cars are sold in Urban places like Chelsea & Fulham in the UK where there is not a farm or hill anywhere near the place they are brought more as a status symbol by snobs for the school runs in the UK.

http://www.stopurban4x4s.org.uk/news.htm

LINK

:reading:

I love the quote you picked - the article is spot on - Ford is striving to be leaner, more flexible, and more streamlined - just like Toyota .. there is no metion of tyhe negative connotations you have - no sports cars, boring designs etc ... that is a risk, but we will not know until we see the 2011 Focus, the 2011 Explorer, etc ... what the NEW Fords will look like.

Igor

You can sit in the back of the FAIL bus! :hysterical:

Here in Chicago, they only plow main streets in winter. My P71 was lousy on unplowed snow when it was rutted up. Like say when you had to back out of your driveway while turning in to the ally. It was managable with 50lbs in the trunk.

Edited by 8A4RE

AWD might help a little in some places that haven't been plowed yet. Yet I found what matters even more than AWD is very good snow tires (not "all-weather"). With my rear wheel drive Merkur Scorpio, I could get through about anything including a couple feet of snow with good dedicated studded snow tires, that I swapped out on all four wheels in the bad seasons.

And good snow tires help on more than just accelleration. Unlike AWD, they also help on stopping and cornering.