2 Ford Cars Might Get Ax

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I believe he was referring to the Flex in that instance, not the Explorer. Although I wouldn't say it's too far-fetched to see an Explorer riding on a FWD-based platform in the future.

I assumed that as well but since there was nary a Flex mention in your post to which he was replying, I thought I'd make light of it.

Edited by TomServo92

and given that the 2 are pretty much the same in all respects except body panels.

same powertrain

same seating configuations

same platform

very similar interior room.

I was always a fan of the Freestyle/Taurus X, great car, but the the Flex has taken the concept to the next level and wrapped it in a far more distinctive (and IMO attractive) wrapper.

If you think interior room is similar between the two, I suggest you actually try sitting it both. The Flex is far roomier than the Taurus X in all 3 rows.

And there isn't much to substantiate the Flex being overpriced either. The base price of the Flex is in the low $28s, the base Freestyle stickered for over $26K in 2005.

Edited by White99GT

The new Taurus does evoke many of the design elements of the Chrysler Sebring, but the overall package should look handsome overall, if not unique. Just be glad you're getting all new sheetmetal, that is extraordinary for Ford, they NEVER do that! :)

Just like in the 60's, when the Comet was 50% of Mercury's sales. :hysterical:

yes, was true in 1960-61, and dont forget it, :shades:

Thinking Merc is only "big" cars is foolish, the most well known is the Cougar, and mid sized cars carried the brand before the Grand Marq of the 80s and 90s.

Edited by 630land

Yeah, I mean they both have a grille and headlights. I don't know how anyone could tell them apart.

A bit like a certain moderator maintaining that the 2010 Taurus front looks like a Hyundai.

That was a Ford/GM front long before the Koreans pinched it.

and given that the 2 are pretty much the same in all respects except body panels.

same powertrain

same seating configuations

same platform

very similar interior room.

This sounds more like speculation.

The only thing that I have heard for sure is that the Explorer is going unit body.

There has been rumours that the explorer is going on the D3, also rumours of both FWD and RWD.

If they go FWD, they would need an all new, super strong transaxle to handle the torque needed for towing, or it won't be a good Explorer replacement. I would doubt that they would develop such a thing. If they did, I would doubt that the consumer would trust it.

They could modify the D3 to be RWD and use off the shelf RWD engines, transmissions and axles. I know that a lot of people don't think this is easy to do. IMHO this should be very easy to do. They would only have to 1. Raise the ground clearance. This is required in an Explorer anyway. 2 Add a transmission Hump. It already has one from AWD option. Just make it bigger. the Vehicle is wide enough that it would not steal that much interior room. 3. change the front and add a rear subframe to accomodate RWD. The rest of the vehicle could remain the same. They could not make a RWD car this easy. But a RWD SUV that sits higher off the ground and less need for perfect weight distribution should be no problem.

Just some thoughts.

The only thing that I have heard for sure is that the Explorer is going unit body.

There has been rumours that the explorer is going on the D3, also rumours of both FWD and RWD.

If they go FWD, they would need an all new, super strong transaxle to handle the torque needed for towing, or it won't be a good Explorer replacement. I would doubt that they would develop such a thing. If they did, I would doubt that the consumer would trust it.

They could modify the D3 to be RWD and use off the shelf RWD engines, transmissions and axles. I know that a lot of people don't think this is easy to do. IMHO this should be very easy to do. They would only have to 1. Raise the ground clearance. This is required in an Explorer anyway. 2 Add a transmission Hump. It already has one from AWD option. Just make it bigger. the Vehicle is wide enough that it would not steal that much interior room. 3. change the front and add a rear subframe to accomodate RWD. The rest of the vehicle could remain the same. They could not make a RWD car this easy. But a RWD SUV that sits higher off the ground and less need for perfect weight distribution should be no problem.

Just some thoughts.

If Ford does this and is successful, then this could be a good starting point for a D4 GWRD and D4 FWD/AWD Flex replacement.

Just some thoughts.

I think it's more than speculation. With the Mercury and Taurus X broomed, and Louisville going down to be converted to a small car plant, the only logical conclusion is that the Explorer will be D3-based and will fill in the rest of Chicago. And, hopefully with new sheet metal and interior and better name recognition the plant will be full on 2 shifts rather than limping along on less than one shift.

It seems to me, the primary competition is the Toyota Highlander, the Honda Pilot, and the GM unibodies so the Explorer will have to have competitive towing capability with them. The Highlander can go to 5,000 pounds with a towing prep package, and the Pilot is 4,500. The Acadia has 4,500 pound capability. They all fall short of today's Explorer max at around 7,300 pounds; I'm guessing the new Explorer won't get close to this number so those towing heavy loads will have to go to Expedition.

I know it might sound simple to make a RWD out of a FWD by tweaking a few parts, but when you get into the details, you find out that it very quickly becomes an all-new platform. Even if you set an objective of trying to preserve everything you can when you move from FWD to RWD, you find that virtually every piece of metal in the body moves because the proportions are totally different. And even if you were to stamp the new pieces, the ability to manufacture in the existing plant (particularly the body shop) is not likely. So what you end up with is an all-new platform that has been compromised because you tried to make it as common as possible with a FWD platform. Better off creating a new RWD platform with FoA. So, in my opinion, I wouldn't hold my breath for a RWD/AWD for Explorer.

I would assume the next Explorer is going to come in close to the concept shown in Detroit. But the thing I keep wondering about is the rear doors. The Explorer concept had sliding rear doors which has always been the minivan curse that you didn't want to paste on an SUV. But from the side view with the doors closed, it looks like a regular 4-door because the upper slider is high in the roof. Will Ford do it??? (I'm guessing not because it will be too difficult/expensive to execute)

A bit like a certain moderator maintaining that the 2010 Taurus front looks like a Hyundai.

That was a Ford/GM front long before the Koreans pinched it.

Not I. The '10 Taurus front doesn't really look like anything else I've ever seen. However, it doesn't really look all that unique either. It just seems to be a blend of a bunch of common design themes, which seems to be the way everybody does it these days. Leave out the traditionally-shaped grilles a few automakers are still clinging to and there's really nothing traditional in the looks of a brand's vehicles anymore. One of the few exceptions is the Mustang: side indentations, rear quarter window shape, tri-bar tail lights....not many other vehicles have carried over as much from one generation to the next over the years....

I don't think the '10 Taurus looks like a Hyundai. I think the Mondeo 'snazzy' grille looks like an Elantra grille.

I DO think that the '10 Taurus is blandsville with a capital B. That's a face that says, "Hi, I'm oatmeal, enjoy me as part of a healthy, nutritious breakfast."

blasphemy...and all based on an out of focus grainy cell phone shot whos lens is smeared w chapstick ....I'll wait till the car is actually displayed....but if I had to judge the "thru a dusty screen door" shot I would agree to a certain extent...needs something...however compared with the 08...............

Like both the Sable and TX. Brother owns a Freestyle. Very nice car overall, only a little bland on exterior styling. Personally, the Flex is just a little to over the edge for my taste, but sounds to be a good vehicle.

Sad to see the Sable nameplate go away, but only if they replace it with a better product within the Mercury lineup.

TX may not be missed, due to bland styling, lack of advertising and lack of sales. Which the Flex should pick up many of the potentially lost sales.

Not sure what to really think. Both good and bad in my opinion.

EDIT: Like other, th '10 Taurus looks better than the current model. Nothing drastic or special about the style, but I'll hold off final judgement until more pics are released and I see a few in person.

Edited by V8-X

I don't think the '10 Taurus looks like a Hyundai. I think the Mondeo 'snazzy' grille looks like an Elantra grille.

I DO think that the '10 Taurus is blandsville with a capital B. That's a face that says, "Hi, I'm oatmeal, enjoy me as part of a healthy, nutritious breakfast."

just thought I'd try and fit in by misquoting you, sorry.:)

i've been shopping, i couldn't believe the insurance quote i got for the flex today vs. the taurus and taurus X......and edge.....much higher.........one thing to consider if you are shopping ..........

Interesting. Wonder why.

Are the Flex & Edge more likely to be stolen? I bet they would be.

Is the cost to repair Flex and Edge higher than T & T? Just not sure about that one.

Don't all have the same if not very similar safety equipment? I'm sure they're all very similar.