Mercury MC4 Concept

Probably one of the most influential concepts at Ford, the design language that emerged from the concept can still be seen today. This has always been my all-time favorite Ford concept.

Concept%20Cars%20-%20Mercury%20MC4.jpg

It's chiefly responsible for introducing the concept of the cut fender look which is used both at Mercury and Ford. It also introduced the stacked headlights which continues to be used by Mercury. It also featured matte-finished aluminum trim pieces, a popular Mercury hallmark. With the new Milan and Fusion continuing to carry these design characteristics, I thought I'd remind all the young-ins here of the inspiration for those designs ;).

It should also be noted that the MC4 inspired the trend toward sharper lines and creases, something Ford would later call "New Edge" and Caddy "Art & Science". This was 1996 btw! Remember the Taurus? Yes, Ford use to be Detroit's trend setter :(.

Edited by BORG

Probably one of the most influential concepts at Ford, the design language that emerged from the concept can still be seen today. This has always been my all-time favorite Ford concept.

It's chiefly responsible for introducing the concept of the cut fender look which is used both at Mercury and Ford. It also introduced the stacked headlights which continues to be used by Mercury. It also featured matte-finished aluminum trim pieces, a popular Mercury hallmark. With the new Milan and Fusion continuing to carry these design characteristics, I thought I'd remind all the young-ins here of the inspiration for those designs ;).

It should also be noted that the MC4 inspired the trend toward sharper lines and creases, something Ford would later call "New Edge" and Caddy "Art & Science". This was 1996 btw! Remember the Taurus? Yes, Ford use to be Detroit's trend setter :(.

You hit on one of my favorite concepts also.

Following on the heels of early work done on the Mustang and T'bird, there was a group inside of Ford that put together a plan to produce this vehicle. The intent was to use the D2 platform and produce it with the T'bird in Wixom on the abandoned Mark line. And...an all-new Mark also could have been spawned on the same line with a high degree of commonality with the Mercury.

But...the failure to do so wasn't because of engineering or manufacturing feasibility or even cost even with the rear hinged rear doors. The idiotic, myopic Mercury marketing organization wouldn't agree to the project unless it was viewed as a replacement for the Cougar with the same prices (i.e., well under $20k at the time). There was a lot of very, very bitter arguing :rant: but they were adamant. At that revenue, the project was a non-starter and it died.

I'm not saying the actual production vehicle would have been a smash success, but it could have been produced profitably at lower volume (around 30-40k) and set a tone for Mercury. Lost opportunity IMHO.

I still have a promotional "engineering / artwork" poster of that car that I got at the 96 Chicago Auto Show. I used to love analyzing all the detail reliefs. The picture shown above seems different to me though. I remember hidden parking lamps and turn signals that were recessed into character lines, whereby the lamps would make the body panels glow slightly without visible lenses. Very cool.

Also had the weird center-split rear hatch that opened from either side of the car.... hence that line above the rear fender.

That concept is from 1996-no kidding? That is amazing and I get a kick out of you saying "young-ins when you are what 30?

Edited by kyle

Wow, that's an absolutely gorgeous car. Are those Saturn-style "quad coupe" doors? That and the front clip remind me of the Ion coupe, which is probably the weirdest thing I could ever say about an attractive car.

EDIT: A-pillar forward it reminds me of a Fusion/Milan, and aside from the New Edge fenders the design language isn't too far off; it's too bad the CD3 coupe was cancelled.

Edited by danup

I really like that concept, and too am surprised it's from 96!

You hit on one of my favorite concepts also.

Following on the heels of early work done on the Mustang and T'bird, there was a group inside of Ford that put together a plan to produce this vehicle. The intent was to use the D2 platform and produce it with the T'bird in Wixom on the abandoned Mark line. And...an all-new Mark also could have been spawned on the same line with a high degree of commonality with the Mercury.

But...the failure to do so wasn't because of engineering or manufacturing feasibility or even cost even with the rear hinged rear doors. The idiotic, myopic Mercury marketing organization wouldn't agree to the project unless it was viewed as a replacement for the Cougar with the same prices (i.e., well under $20k at the time). There was a lot of very, very bitter arguing :rant: but they were adamant. At that revenue, the project was a non-starter and it died.

I'm not saying the actual production vehicle would have been a smash success, but it could have been produced profitably at lower volume (around 30-40k) and set a tone for Mercury. Lost opportunity IMHO.

I agree that it was a lost opportunity, while as you said, it may've not been a smash success, I think it would've helped the Mercury brand tremendously, giving it an identity, some product, etc.....

BBC Radio played an an interview today with the designer of the MC4 - Chelsia Lau.

She had some interesting perspectives on automotive design.

BBC Radio played an an interview today with the designer of the MC4 - Chelsia Lau.

She had some interesting perspectives on automotive design.

Apparently she is still a chief designer at Ford. She is also responsible for the Spor_Trac concept. She is also responsible for the 2008 Navigator, which isn't a good thing to be known for ;)

http://www.automotoportal.com/article/ford...signer-for-2006

Edited by BORG

Took some digging, but... here's that poster. I was right about the illuminated panels, see the detail relief behind the rear wheel.

MC4_A.jpg

You'll have to forgive my paperwieghts... That damn thing is FRAGILE! It's like some sort of mylar-wax-paper crap, very brittle and easily torn. So I wasn't going to dare try and reverse-curl it just for some stupid photos.

It's transparent so you see both sides at once. And when you flip it over you see the interior of the car. I have always thought this was the coolest. car poster. ever.

MC4_B.jpg

Oh yeah, who needs SYNC? First-gen Palm-Pilot Nav-Ent console FTW!

Edited by goingincirclez

Took some digging, but... here's that poster. I was right about the illuminated panels, see the detail relief behind the rear wheel.

MC4_A.jpg

You'll have to forgive my paperwieghts... That damn thing is FRAGILE! It's like some sort of mylar-wax-paper crap, very brittle and easily torn. So I wasn't going to dare try and reverse-curl it just for some stupid photos.

It's transparent so you see both sides at once. And when you flip it over you see the interior of the car. I have always thought this was the coolest. car poster. ever.

MC4_B.jpg

Oh yeah, who needs SYNC? First-gen Palm-Pilot Nav-Ent console FTW!

I have this poster, it's brilliant! It's printed on a translucent paper stock so the print seems to float and layer on the paper, so neat!

Much of the 2000 Focus design came out of this as well, certainly the headlights and fender flares. This trickled down to cars like the 2nd gen Mondeo. This is still my preferred design language, crisp lines to add 'texture' to the design of the car, as opposed to the softness before this concept (1996 Taurus) and after (2008 Mondeo). Fortunately, Ford Noth America is still applying much of what was learned with this concept, even in the 2010 Taurus which is far sharper than the molten Mondeo.