Name of the Hurricane??

What to name the Hurricane?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. What should Ford name the new Hurricane engine?

• Hurricane
    • Boss
    • Cammer
    • Cobra Jet
    • Triton XL

My vote is for "Cammer".

Ford hasn't officially used this name on a production engine but it is closely tied with Ford performance. The 427 SOHC engine was the most powerful OEM domestic engine ever built. In the 60's the 427 cammer spelled doom to the Hemi and NASCAR knew it, Ford should use this. Ford also has the 5.0L "cammer" crate engine that has been cleaning house in Grand Am.

"Cammer" highlights the design advantage of the new Ford engine over it's competitors, just like"Hemi" does for the Chrysler engines. The Ford has multiple cams, Chrysler has a hemispherical combustion chamber.

Cammer sounds cool, rolls off the tongue, and could easily become a street legend on par with Hemi.

The Ford Cammer, soon to be destroying Hemi 6.1s and LS6s near you.

all good points- I want to see another Boss, but gotta agree, 'cammer' makes sense too...and from the cutaway I saw at the autoshow of the 'hemi'- its not...maybe a 'crescent' like an old boss429, or 'semi-hemi', but not really hemispherical...however the name sells.

Ford needs a boss just out of respect for the old ones, but then again, a new name shouldnt be out of the question...the mustang market has enough room to deploy both as special editions. the old boss and the old cammer are both highly regarded by anyone that knows the old powerplants, what better place to put them than in the mustang. Shinoda/Knudsen quite a few others achieved a form of immortality to car guys- perhaps Bill Ford can boldly insist that he wants to see another insane motor in their little 'everymans sportscar model' and create another car as legendary as the boss 429(although by todays standards, the old boss would have a hard time keeping up). the shelby is incredible, but the fact remains that ford still has elephants under development that might make the shelby look weak someday soon. The technology is there, Ford knows how to build it- and from what Ive read they know how to 'keep it clean' emissions wise too. While kinda sad to read of the demise of SVT, I'm kinda glad about one thing: the 'POWER BY FORD' should be returning to its rightful place on the valvecovers soon. Whenever I think about my old 429, I still recall the first time dad popped the hood to show me why the old 'bomb' was so fast...the 69 429 had cool lettering on the cheep steel valvecovers, brainwashed me on the spot- thats what I want my engine to say. Cammer/Boss/whatever, the shelby/gt(40) shoulda said powerbyford, and not SVT...imagine if the boss429 said power by karkraft...ford needs their name all over these 'instant legends'.

I now like Cammer the best, followed closely by Boss, then Cobra Jet. Hurricane and Cyclone both sound cool enough but i don't think they would work well. The Triton name is associated with the least powerful truck engine available (compared to the Hemi's, Vortec's, Nissan and probably Toyota too), so its got to go.

Does anybody have any hard proof that this engine, or a program to develop it even exists?

stangsunleashed had a link to this-

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic.../603260358/1148

I read somewhere from a engine plant employee saying they had got the 'contract for the boss engine' at their plant...

Edited by ford4v429

I voted "Cobra Jet" because it is associated with muscle cars back in the day . The words Cobra,and jet both relate to power and speed and a special version could be called "Super Cobra Jet".

that would be fine, except for the fact that this will initially be a trcuk engine. Super Cobra Jet is better suited for Mustangs, GT40s etc

My vote is still with "B O S S ". The average person will relate to "Cammer", "Hurricane", "Cobra Jet", "Triton XL", as much as they do Duratec etc. This may not matter if the engine is only going to show up in Trucks, or even just the Trucks and Mustang, but if they want to be able to market the engine, across the product line and brands, as Chrysler has the HEMI, then BOSS is the only name listed capable of creating an image in the minds of the average consumer.

Edited by sullynd

I think Hurricane sounds best and is the only one along with Boss that conveys a sense of power.

I like the cammer name, but to most people "cammer" holds no meaning, and conveys no sense of power.

Hemi, the name itself, doesn't convey any sense of power. It was the 426 Hemi that created the legend, because it was powerful and because it had a memorable, distinctive moniker. People came to associate the Hemi badge with power and you see how that one turned out.

If the 6.2 is good enough it will create it's own legend. "Cammer" is a distinctive and memorable title that WILL stand out in the mind of the consumer if Ford markets it properly.

EDIT: You also need to remember that most people do associate the word "cam" with "horsepower". The average consumer couldn't tell you what a camshaft does but they do know that a car "with a cam" usually has lots of horsepower.

To me, Cammer doesn't have the camp/retro feel of Boss while still giving a wink and a nod to Ford history. We know what Boss means to Ford's performance past but to the average person how are they going to take Boss?

"Man, that car is BOSS!" doesn't have the same ring to it that it did in the 60's.

"Does your truck have a Boss?" doesn't really sound right to me either. The truck needs to BE the Boss not HAVE a Boss. This is why, IMO, the Boss moniker would make a better high perfomance edition Mustang (or even F-150) rather than the name of a new engine family.

"Does your F-150 have the new Cammer?" Now that's a little better IMO.

"Is the new Boss Mustang going to get the Cammer?" Even better, and I hope so. :)

Edited by White99GT

I respect the old names and think they are good, but I also think they should reserve them for special engines, not one that will be put in so many vehicles. I don't think a BOSS or Cammer engine in the F-150 really fits, unless your talking about a new Lightning or other performance truck. In a way this whole thing with the HEMI name is quite cheesy, I sortuf hope Ford does not try to follow in stride by exploiting the old names of Ford power to sell more trucks...

I think Hurricane sounds good for an engine that could make its way into trucks, suv's, mustangs, and so forth. I think they could build the name up really fast if they do an excellent job with the engine series, and its not exploiting muscle car engines of the past. To me it just sounds like a cool name for an engine family, it has connotations of a well engineered modern engine and I think it would catch on fast with the average person and could have a good chance of revitalizing the Ford name in terms of engine performance. If these new engines are really powerful, the Triton name will go away fast and all the talk will be of the Hurricane and how improved it is etc... It also has nice marketing potential, just like the HEMI Ford could tout the new Hurricane engines are better then HEMI's, I could even see little hurricane logo's under the F-150 emblem or on the valve covers.

There is also a very good path to introduce these engines. Imagine Ford getting rave reviews for the Hurricane engines in the trucks and SUV's, and now suddenly the Mustang is getting the Hurricane in the GT. People associate trucks with big and powerful engines, it would sound like they were dropping big blocks in the Mustangs to the average person. Not to mention any performance gained in the Mustang world is a good thing, not that they are slow its just as everyone who has owned one knows...there is never enough performance or bang for your buck :)

I also would not mind seeing the Mustang come out with a BOSS, Cammer, or Cobra Jet engine again, even if it was just a modified Hurricane engine. It fits in perfectly with how the new Mustang has been marketed. It would be the only real way to revive those old names the right way, and as long as they did the numbers right it would be an excellent use of the names and would respark interest in the Mustang which is starting to wane now that the newness is worn off. The Camaro is coming, Ford needs something up their sleeves.

The key thing is that Ford needs to associate the old muscle car engines with above average power, well exceptional power if I had my way, putting those names on common every day engines just doesn't seem right to me. If they want to use those names on the top performing engines in each vehicle, well that would be better but they need to make sure they are top performing in their class also.

Above and beyond all of this, I think its time that Ford starts shooting for best in class instead of middle of the class. The Hurricane engine has the chance to start this, they want to beat the competition finally instead of just be an also ran.

Cammer.... is that the new Toyota Cammer?

Not one of the choices, but Cyclone is also a name with some Ford history.

Hurricane might not have the same appeal in Florida, Louisiana, Alabama, etc... Hurricane is not a good word in those areas.

Cobra Jet is just silly sounding today.

Time to create the next legendary name. something completely new?

Does anyone know anything specific about this engine?

I mean, "Cammer" wouldn't really work if it's a cam-in-block design.

Does anyone even know that much?

"Boss" in a truck would work fine, especially in a union enviroment...everyone wants to be the boss :)

Maybe "flathead" would be appropriate, again, given the lack of specifics about the engine.

How about "Floozy"? It starts with an "F", and how many customers will want to have a floozy under their hood?

"Flicka"? My friend Flicka. Got some horse under that hood.

"Faust"? Need to deal with the devil in order to get one?

NEED SPECIFICS!

It makes no difference what name is refered to. The engine, if good enough, will create its own legend if it deserves one no matter if the name is pussycat. The name hemi only means something because of the history associated with that powerplant. Same as LS1 or whatever family is good. Previous generation PowerStroke for example.

Internally it is called Boss. It also has 7 liter capability and may be a Mustang engine option.

Good news if true, but why does it take Ford so long to develop new products? :blink:

The Hurricane has been around for awhile. It was cancelled and then brought back by Mark Fields. More attention needs to be given to the powertrain engineering group and allow them to do what they do best. The talent is there. Upper management and marketing just don't get it sometimes.

I'm not too thrilled with the name Hurricane. That could be associated with something very bad for a lot of people lately. It was also the name of a Willys flathead 4 banger. Not a real good association there either although not many people would relate to something that old. All the other choices relate to something most consumers wouldn't relate to either or worse, would associate with something not so great (Triton). Why not something simple like 6.2 H.O.? That might appeal to those who remember the early 80's 5.0 Mustangs and most of them are still alive. ;)

Think about this. Cobra and Lightning are both on hiatus as model designations. Both have good recognition from the 90's. Market the engine as a Cobra in car applications and Lightning in trucks. Sure Boss and Cobra Jet mean a lot to fans of the '60s but this is 2006. The 90's are the new 60's

Without 4 valves and variable valve timing it will just be another 1950's remix ford, chevy, and dodge have been pushing off on people lately.

I mean it really ain't hard to figure out.. caterpillar went to 4 valves in the 1920's and have been there ever since. Most of the rest of the world is moving on to 5 valves for the top stuff.

Domestic brands don't seem to have the initiative or technical ability to design a new engine. We really should be able to buy an engine that puts out 100hp/liter and has reliability. But it is simply more profitable to stamp out nodular iron cranks and massive cast iron blocks that produce 50 - 60 hp/liter with anemic performance and bolt on massive catalysts and classify them as trucks to reap emissions allowances.

It used to be that road tractors had basic simple engines compared to cars, but now road tractors are ahead. I know most all have 4 or more valves with variable timing and computer controlled direct injection.

Without a competitive engine, its just a matter of time till Nissan or Toyota or Honda figure out how to make a full size long bed truck and put the sleeper hold on the truck market with a superior powerplant. The Chevy duramax will probably be the wave of the future in truck engines anyway.... engines designed and built by foreign engineers and technical knowledge.

They just need to call the "new" engine "Recycled Outdated Underpowered Steel Hunk" - ROUSH.

Good news if true, but why does it take Ford so long to develop new products? :blink:

The Engine has been in development since 2003 or so when the rumors first started coming about...then was cancelled last year because of high fuel costs, but was reinstated again I'm assuming the start of this year as part of the Way Forward program I'm assuming...

Without 4 valves and variable valve timing it will just be another 1950's remix ford, chevy, and dodge have been pushing off on people lately.

I mean it really ain't hard to figure out.. caterpillar went to 4 valves in the 1920's and have been there ever since. Most of the rest of the world is moving on to 5 valves for the top stuff.

Domestic brands don't seem to have the initiative or technical ability to design a new engine. We really should be able to buy an engine that puts out 100hp/liter and has reliability. But it is simply more profitable to stamp out nodular iron cranks and massive cast iron blocks that produce 50 - 60 hp/liter with anemic performance and bolt on massive catalysts and classify them as trucks to reap emissions allowances.

It used to be that road tractors had basic simple engines compared to cars, but now road tractors are ahead. I know most all have 4 or more valves with variable timing and computer controlled direct injection.

Without a competitive engine, its just a matter of time till Nissan or Toyota or Honda figure out how to make a full size long bed truck and put the sleeper hold on the truck market with a superior powerplant. The Chevy duramax will probably be the wave of the future in truck engines anyway.... engines designed and built by foreign engineers and technical knowledge.

They just need to call the "new" engine "Recycled Outdated Underpowered Steel Hunk" - ROUSH.

Huricane=DOHC, 4 valve, VCT, DI.

Hurricane=DOHC 32V, VCT, DI.

Boss is going to be used on the Mustang again in a few years in a special edition, the Hurricane name is best for the motor in all of Ford's trucks.

Don't miss this opportunity Ford, a Hurricane under the hood to blow away the Hemi's and LS2's is just what the doctor ordered.

NO 4V? NO DOHC? NO VVT? NO SALE!

How about "too little, too late?" How about "The RAINBOW WARRIOR" (Reflects both the obvious wimpiness of the product and Ford's "growing" affection for LGBTQ activism)

"Here I am . . . rock you like a Rainbow Warrior . . . ."

HEY FORD LAWYERS--See Dr511scj get "put in his place" (you KNOW YOU WANT TO)

http://www.turbomustangs.com/smf/index.php...21832#msg621832

How about "too little, too late?" How about "The RAINBOW WARRIOR" (Reflects both the obvious wimpiness of the product and Ford's "growing" affection for LGBTQ activism)

Is it hard to drive a turbo 'Stang with Jackboots? :P

Edited by ZanatWork