fusion gets 3.5l

blazerdude20

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reviewers? I didn't know they had gotten their hands on these cars yet. Do you have a link, or where should I look. Would love to read it.

Ps. Sorry, I hate it when everyone needs a link to everything here. Not questioning you, just would love to read it...

Motor Trend and car and driver...interesting...one said engine was butter smooth, the other a little rough....

Dream on !

Even Mazda has drop the MT on the V6 version of the Mazda6.

As for the coupe, it got shelved a long time ago.

You have to remember, Ford is trying to figure out how to stay in business for the next 18-24. It is going to take that long until cash flow is positive again !

I understand the reality of the situation and I dare to dream nonetheless. Either way, it looks good anyway.

Motor Trend and car and driver...interesting...one said engine was butter smooth, the other a little rough....

I have heard this before and is the comparison because Ford's 3.0 and 3.5 uses a chain and the Honda, Toyota (Nissan?) uses a belt? I'm not sure...anyone?

I think that's a big part of it.

But noise deadening wasn't a high priority with past models... The new Escape is quite a bit quieter than the old one, and it's got the same basic engine in it. The PIP shouldn't be any quieter than the old Duratec 30.

Just like the old 'boat anchor 5.4' complaints, NVH isn't a one-dimensional problem.

I think that's a big part of it.

But noise deadening wasn't a high priority with past models... The new Escape is quite a bit quieter than the old one, and it's got the same basic engine in it. The PIP shouldn't be any quieter than the old Duratec 30.

Just like the old 'boat anchor 5.4' complaints, NVH isn't a one-dimensional problem.

That's the train of thought I'm on. It was brought up as a for lack of a better word complaint the mags said about the D35 in the Edge.

I have heard this before and is the comparison because Ford's 3.0 and 3.5 uses a chain and the Honda, Toyota (Nissan?) uses a belt? I'm not sure...anyone?

nope....this was the magazines BOTH testing the same car...a Ford Fiesta....and between you and I, I personally think Ford should go the route of the Japanese competition....smooth the engines out, sure you give up a little durability and have to replace cam belts at 60k....but generally speaking that is NOT a hot button when purchasing a vehicle whereas smoothness ranks a lot higher....

Nissan's used chains forever. Of course, they love the VQ engines.

Well that's been a mixed bag as of late. The VQ35HR has received its fair share of complaints.....

Having said that, going forward I would like to see Ford do a better job with the exhaust tuning for the D35. IMO the engine isn't very harsh but I noticed the exhaust note had a very odd metallic sound (in the Edge at least). The D30 in the Fusion/Milan the other hand is an entirely different story to the point where it is borderline annoying.

Well that's been a mixed bag as of late. The VQ35HR has received its fair share of complaints.....

Having said that, going forward I would like to see Ford do a better job with the exhaust tuning for the D35. IMO the engine isn't very harsh but I noticed the exhaust note had a very odd metallic sound (in the Edge at least). The D30 in the Fusion/Milan the other hand is an entirely different story to the point where it is borderline annoying.

It's been a while since I've driven an Edge, but I don't really recall much of an exhaust note...

Exhaust note on my Mazda6 makes it sound like a 4 cylinder above 4000 RPM. It's pretty awful.

Exhaust note on my Mazda6 makes it sound like a 4 cylinder above 4000 RPM. It's pretty awful.

The exhaust note on the Fusion and old Mazda 6 is very different despite them having basically the same engines. The V6 in the Ford is deeper.

Edited by Talisman

The exhaust note on the Fusion and old Mazda 6 is very different despite them haveing basically the same engines. The V6 in the Ford is deeper.

Much deeper. Of course, with the cruddy shift programming on the Fusion's automatic, you're hard pressed to ever get it over 4000 RPM to compare the two.

More important, what's it like through the twisties?

Are you talking about the new Fusion?

I talked to some Roush engineers who were out testing some new Sport Edge's(which looks BEAUTIFUL by the way with the factory 22's, bodykit, spoiler, and suede inserts) about the 2010 Fusion. They said the cars handled awesome with in the twisties and the new manumatics worked very well. They were very impressed with them.

That doesn't surprise me at all, after all, getting a good review, in either magazine, on a non RWD Domestic product............... is next to impossible.

If Ford were to decide to lower the durability of the engine, by switching to a timing belt, to help with the NVH.................. then MT and C&D would complain about it being a crappy, unreliable Ford product, with maintanance issues.

One has to look at the difference between the Flex comparisons, from CR to MT/C&D, to truly see the bias. CR rates the Flex second only to the Highlander................ and really felt the new Pilot was a big letdown, compared to the last one, with poor fit and finish. MT/C&D rated the Pilot number one, and put the Flex fourth. They said the fit and finish of the Pilot was fantastic.

That doesn't surprise me at all, after all, getting a good review, in either magazine, on a non RWD Domestic product............... is next to impossible.

If Ford were to decide to lower the durability of the engine, by switching to a timing belt, to help with the NVH.................. then MT and C&D would complain about it being a crappy, unreliable Ford product, with maintanance issues.

One has to look at the difference between the Flex comparisons, from CR to MT/C&D, to truly see the bias. CR rates the Flex second only to the Highlander................ and really felt the new Pilot was a big letdown, compared to the last one, with poor fit and finish. MT/C&D rated the Pilot number one, and put the Flex fourth. They said the fit and finish of the Pilot was fantastic.

how they could overlook the Pilots out and out UGLINESS is beyond me...although one mag did make mention....

So, they both raved about the Flex, but placed it 4th, out of 6 in a comparison test???

Their SOP for Domestic vehicles, is to give it a good review initially............... and then slam and complain about it in a comparison. It is all a matter of which side of their mouth, you wish to believe.

BTW, the G8 is a RWD car, and note that I said they will give those a good review.

The Cobalt SS gets damning praise, because it is the fastest thing in its price range............... but is still a Cobalt.