Remote Starter

Ford does not have a factory system but does have a dealer installed system. My sister has an '07 Focus and doesn't know what system she should have installed. The Ford spec system means she gets to keep both ignition keys, while the Viper system she is looking at requires her to sacrifice one key since the setup requires the chip to be present in the car. Overall, what is a better system, aftermarket or Ford spec?

Get the dealer approved one. If you dont and you have an electrical prob, ford could say that it may be the unapproved starter and void your warranty. Slim chance but why risk it?

I'm pushing her to look at the Ford system, partly for that reason, but I don't want her to spend big bucks on a system that may not work as well as a Viper setup.

I'm pushing her to look at the Ford system, partly for that reason, but I don't want her to spend big bucks on a system that may not work as well as a Viper setup.

You're not just talking about losing a key, you're also talking about a huge question of vehicle security.

If the PATS chip is in the car, the car can be stolen with ease. Especially if the installer doesn't bother to separate the key from the plastic cap with the chip. Either the key is there and can be pried lose or just the chip is there and a screwdriver and hammer are all that's needed to start the car.

According to Pioneer, some installers just fasten the key to the underside of the steering wheel so the PATS chip is close enough to the receiver in the ignition cylinder.

----

I would absolutely definitely recommend going for the Ford system. The extra cost is negligible compared to the security risks of the Viper system.

Plus, Viper key fobs are ugly and bulky.

Edited by RichardJensen

You're not just talking about losing a key, you're also talking about a huge question of vehicle security.

If the PATS chip is in the car, the car can be stolen with ease. Especially if the installer doesn't bother to separate the key from the plastic cap with the chip. Either the key is there and can be pried lose or just the chip is there and a screwdriver and hammer are all that's needed to start the car.

According to Pioneer, some installers just fasten the key to the underside of the steering wheel so the PATS chip is close enough to the receiver in the ignition cylinder.

----

I would absolutely definitely recommend going for the Ford system. The extra cost is negligible compared to the security risks of the Viper system.

Thanks Rich, I think I've convinced her already so this will help matters even more ;)

My 2008 Fusion has remote start. It came like that from the dealership. It has a small fob on the key with the Ford oval and works well. Did the dealer add it because I swear it was on the options list on the window sticker. Anyhow it is nice on a cold morning if I want to warm up the car without going outside.

my G8 GT has a remote start from the factory......now i just need to get a nice sounding exhaust to compliment the remote start when im walking to my car

the A/C also blows air in the car to try and get it to 71 degrees as soon as possible on hot days....im sure it does the opposite on cold days

get the factory one

Edited by Ford-150

My 2008 Fusion has remote start. It came like that from the dealership. It has a small fob on the key with the Ford oval and works well. Did the dealer add it because I swear it was on the options list on the window sticker. Anyhow it is nice on a cold morning if I want to warm up the car without going outside.

Your car very well came with it installed. On the Fusion triplets, Mustangs and Edge/MKx they can be installed by the factory-actually MOD centers that are offsite and non union.

Go with the factory system-it has a extra remote but it works up to 300 feet away and is covered under the factory warranty. Do you really want someone splicing into the wiring harness that is non Ford?

Your car very well came with it installed. On the Fusion triplets, Mustangs and Edge/MKx they can be installed by the factory-actually MOD centers that are offsite and non union.

Go with the factory system-it has a extra remote but it works up to 300 feet away and is covered under the factory warranty. Do you really want someone splicing into the wiring harness that is non Ford?

I know we ordered the remote start system on our Flex.....I was looking at the "vehicle details"/pricing summary thing for it, and it says "Limited Production Options: 67R POWERCODE REMOTE START SYSTEM (LPO)", but the price is different than the $400 mentioned above.....it's $251 (invoice) or $295 (MSRP). Is this the same factory system you all are talking about or is this a dealer accessory one?

EDIT: I was looking at a different paper and I guess that system is a Ford Accessories system....but I'm still curious if anybody (kyle?) knows if it's installed at the factory or dealer?

Edited by rmc523

My 2006 Fusion has the dealer installed remote start and I love it. I went shopping for it 1st and when I went to the local aftermarket spot to get a price....1st thing he says is, "ugh....those Fords are a pain in the ass to install...". Needless to say, he's not getting MY car for the install! Price was comparable.

I am sure there have been $$ increases from my 2006 purchase but at that time, it was $300 + tax. You may want to double check that Viper system, the ole...."oops, I forgot to include the security interface module into the price quote." bait and switch can easily happen if he thinks he's got an easy mark to slide that one by.

My suggestion is simple, go with the Ford unit.

Bulky? Don't know if they've changed them recently or if they are different for remote start, but the fobs I have from the Viper alarm system I had installed on my Mustang many moons ago are smaller than the OE fobs that came with the car. They are smaller than the fob for my Mazda6 too.

Ford does not have a factory system but does have a dealer installed system. My sister has an '07 Focus and doesn't know what system she should have installed. The Ford spec system means she gets to keep both ignition keys, while the Viper system she is looking at requires her to sacrifice one key since the setup requires the chip to be present in the car. Overall, what is a better system, aftermarket or Ford spec?

I've purchased 8 or 9 remote start/alarm kits off of Ebay over the years. All you need is a bypass module that plugs into the head unit and bypasses the chip in the key. I currently have Compustar units on my car and truck that will start the engine from over 5,000 ft. The remote has a pager on it and can tell you when it has started, or that the alarm is triggered. Total spent was around $250 but it takes me a whole weekend to install one. The Ford dealership installed unit is nothing more then the brand name Code Alarm with Ford stickers all over it. And yes, Ford keys are cheap on Ebay and easy to program your self.

I know we ordered the remote start system on our Flex.....I was looking at the "vehicle details"/pricing summary thing for it, and it says "Limited Production Options: 67R POWERCODE REMOTE START SYSTEM (LPO)", but the price is different than the $400 mentioned above.....it's $251 (invoice) or $295 (MSRP). Is this the same factory system you all are talking about or is this a dealer accessory one?

EDIT: I was looking at a different paper and I guess that system is a Ford Accessories system....but I'm still curious if anybody (kyle?) knows if it's installed at the factory or dealer?

Ford has not started offering a factory installed remote start yet. It should be happening very soon.

I've purchased 8 or 9 remote start/alarm kits off of Ebay over the years. All you need is a bypass module that plugs into the head unit and bypasses the chip in the key. I currently have Compustar units on my car and truck that will start the engine from over 5,000 ft. The remote has a pager on it and can tell you when it has started, or that the alarm is triggered. Total spent was around $250 but it takes me a whole weekend to install one. The Ford dealership installed unit is nothing more then the brand name Code Alarm with Ford stickers all over it. And yes, Ford keys are cheap on Ebay and easy to program your self.

You are right Code Alarm (division of audiovox) is the manufacturer of the product. 5000 feet away is insane. Ford's system is good for around 300 feet but it requires a extra fob. Some people have been able to program the remote start into the "one key" (Escape, Edge, etc.) but it is limited to the 30' feet or so that a remote is good for.

GM's remote start is the size of a cell phone-very bulky, etc. Also made by Code Alarm. They give you some detailed info on fuel in vehicle, tire pressure, etc. but it is way to big for my tastes.

Ford just rolled out a two way remote start that let's you know when the vehicle is started.

I have one in my edge but never really use it-always leave my keys in the center console and prefer the keypad. But I live in Atlanta!

Ford has not started offering a factory installed remote start yet. It should be happening very soon.

You are right Code Alarm (division of audiovox) is the manufacturer of the product. 5000 feet away is insane. Ford's system is good for around 300 feet but it requires a extra fob. Some people have been able to program the remote start into the "one key" (Escape, Edge, etc.) but it is limited to the 30' feet or so that a remote is good for.

GM's remote start is the size of a cell phone-very bulky, etc. Also made by Code Alarm. They give you some detailed info on fuel in vehicle, tire pressure, etc. but it is way to big for my tastes.

Ford just rolled out a two way remote start that let's you know when the vehicle is started.

I have one in my edge but never really use it-always leave my keys in the center console and prefer the keypad. But I live in Atlanta!

I can start my truck while sitting in a college classroom. Its really sweet when its 10 degrees out.

I have installed both Ford accessory and Viper remote starts. The Viper remote start can have more features, but I prefer the Ford Accessory ones in a Ford due to the fact if a problem comes up and you are away from the installing dealer, another dealer can get parts and find wiring diagrams. Plus, the new RMST kits for Fords come with some premaid harness so some of the install is Plug and Play. To me the less cutting wiring the better.

Ford Remote Starts can be had 1 of 3 ways.

-It can be installed after the fat by the accessories department

- FIA (Ford Invoiced Accessory) Shows up on the maroney but is sent to the dealership and installed by the service department.

- Mod Center - shows up on the maroney like the FIA but the dealership does not install it. After it leaves the factory it is taken to a non union mod center to have accessories put on. Remote start and DVD Headrests are teh main two being used at this time.

HTH.

As for the original poster, go with the Ford system. If you are travelling and have any type of issue with the car, they will blame the aftermarket remote start.

Ford Remote Starts can be had 1 of 3 ways.

-It can be installed after the fat by the accessories department

- FIA (Ford Invoiced Accessory) Shows up on the maroney but is sent to the dealership and installed by the service department.

- Mod Center - shows up on the maroney like the FIA but the dealership does not install it. After it leaves the factory it is taken to a non union mod center to have accessories put on. Remote start and DVD Headrests are teh main two being used at this time.

HTH.

As for the original poster, go with the Ford system. If you are travelling and have any type of issue with the car, they will blame the aftermarket remote start.

Thanks.