Went to the LA Auto show today

It was good to get out into the show circuit to see what was out there. It wasnt overtly negative except for one armchair jackass kid that kept spouting off about the new Mustang not having IRS and the V6 Camaro having "the same power as the Mustang V8". All i could say to him was lets see if GM is even around before they build fhe first new Camaro. Other than that, i didnt hear anything political, anything about bailouts or private jets. It was nice

thoughts

- Transit Connect - Was nice to see it in person and get an idea of its size. Very spartan interior with obvious commercial use in mind when designing it. It reeks of the E-Series when it comes to design and layout of the interior and not in a good way. They plan to update it before it comes stateside right? I know, i know "but its for commercial use blah blah blah" Hey, some sense in pride about the interior goes a long way. Other than that, it looks like it will be a great vehicle in the states. I heard alot of postive things about it in the crowd and even my girlfriend said it was 'cute'.

IMG_2515.jpg

IMG_2516.jpg

IMG_2518.jpg

- Mustang - Well now. After looking at it in person i have to say it looks much better. The exterior revisions look much more significant and the car looks alot more refined. It DOES look smaller, especially from the rear end. Dare i say it, it looks fresh and more modern than the Challenger does in person. Im impressed, and the glass roof version was cool to sit in and feel around. The interior is much much improved, and the console only LOOKS short and uncomfy in the pics. It was in the right spot for comfort when i was in there. Its gonna be fine. Camaro who?

IMG_2520.jpg

IMG_2524.jpg

IMG_2618.jpg

IMG_2527.jpg

-

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fusion - Well now. I have to say that the pics didnt do it justice. It looks like a much better car in person, especially considering that they had a current model on the floor too. The new one looks like a more expensive car than the photos tell. I was impressed by it and the official 37city/39hwy ratings for the Hybrid are amazing. Very good job here.

IMG_2533.jpg

IMG_2536.jpg

IMG_2537.jpg

- Pontiac G8 ST - Car gave me wood. I love it. Its bigger in person than i thought, but with 1500 lbs payload, 3500 towing and better milage than my Ranger, the only thing i have to compromise on is some super cab space and the ground clearence. But i get 350hp and lots of fun. awesome ride.

IMG_2614.jpg

IMG_2613.jpg

IMG_2616.jpg

- Acura TL - Grille looks worse in person. Even overhard someone esle talking shit about it when they passed by. Rear end has the biggest bumper known to man. its HUGE. Sad because it was a handsome car before.

IMG_2610.jpg

IMG_2611.jpg

IMG_2612.jpg

- Kia Soul - I cant explain it, but i kinda liked the car. Its funky, but not in a pretentious Scion XB "your gonna buy me because im a toyota and im cool because of it" kind of way. It was plasticky as all hell inside, looked a little weird but i cant explain it, but i really kinda like it.

IMG_2608.jpg

IMG_2607.jpg

- Mazda 3 - Can you say HAPPY CAR? :hysterical:

IMG_2555.jpg

I like the TL a lot! :P

And the worst part of any Autoshow are the shit-talkers who routinely piss me off. And most of the time, they are completely wrong. They are especially abundant in the Ford section for some reason, maybe that's just where I hang out to hear them or it's a sign of extreme insecurity ;)

One thing made me very angry at the last Detroit show, some guy speaking to his buddy about the Flex said the car was horribly designed, and pointed to the bottom edge of the door which curls to horizontal; he insisted it would trap water and rust. Give me a break!!! It was designed to keep your pant leg clean when occupants enters and egress the car and there is no reason to believe it traps water! It really annoys me when people who know nothing. criticize something clearly well thought out.

Edited by BORG

I like the Fusion.

A nice mid cycle refresh

Yes, the Fusion looks like a winner, actually everything Ford is doing looks like a winner. Reminds me of 1992 when everything was updated and refreshed, the good times followed.

Anyway, another thing your picture reveals is the Base Mustang with the fog lights in the bumper, I haven't seen that yet. I like that! Overall the base Mustang looks so much better than the outgoing version, I couldn't stand the way it looked before.

Edited by BORG

Good pics.

What couldn't ask me if I wanted to go?

Oh next time ill invite and buy you a lemonade lol

Anyway, another thing your picture reveals is the Base Mustang with the fog lights in the bumper, I haven't seen that yet. I like that! Overall the base Mustang looks so much better than the outgoing version, I couldn't stand the way it looked before.

I thought the V6 Mustang with the deluxe/pony package grille was the best looking of the bunch. I never cared for the GT with the foglights in the grille. they look too big. The V6 tri color pony badge got bigger too, i cant say i like that, but its a minor complaint.

The pic of the Fusion's front end is bad ass. It looks very mean and well designed. Thanks for your input. We'll be going Sunday (week from now).

Go next week, and on the hour they are giving away t-shirts at the Fusion Hybrid display. Youll see people walking around with them, and im pissed i didnt get one (we left at 6:30, before they gave out the shirts again). THey say something like "Best in MPG's" on the front with "Why waste money on a Camry or Accord?" on the back. if you go, get me one! i missed out.

Edited by Sixt9coug

i like your pics. the mazda 3 front in terrible imo. i think the transitconnect is going to be a sale suprise. it looks so different from say a toyota sienna or the honda, i think you'll get some family buyers-if it's not too "commercial" inside. our family does alot of skiing in the winter and mountain biking in the summer and seems like it would be a sweet vehicle to haul people and their crap. but ford needs to quit showing the manual tranny if they're not going to offer it here. i wish they would though.

Thanks for the pics and the opinions sixt9coug. By the time Pittsburgh gets our car show most of the Ford offerings will be in the showroom. I agree with you on the Acura. Their recent styling has left me unimpressed. I really liked the TL when it first came out. Clean and sleek looking. Now they have ruined it.

Does the V-8 G8ST really get better mileage than a V-6 Ranger? I like the ST but still think it would have been better as a Chevy ElCamino.

The rear of the Pontiac G8 looks very "FORD"

Something about it reminds me of the Taurus X

I was thinking that too, based on these pictures. And I was thinking of the same vehicle (sort of) -- I thought of the Freestyle, because of the taillights (on TX, they're clear; Freestyle were red/white like G8 ST).

Thanks for the pics and the opinions sixt9coug. By the time Pittsburgh gets our car show most of the Ford offerings will be in the showroom. I agree with you on the Acura. Their recent styling has left me unimpressed. I really liked the TL when it first came out. Clean and sleek looking. Now they have ruined it.

Does the V-8 G8ST really get better mileage than a V-6 Ranger? I like the ST but still think it would have been better as a Chevy ElCamino.

My Ranger is rated at 17/24 under the old rating. I think even the regular G8 GT is rated at or better than that under the NEW system. So yeah, in a nutshell if i can keep my foot out of it i dont think i would have any problem breaking the Ranger's current economy numbers with a G8. (i dont have a heavy foot with daily drivers, just the toys).

The only interior pics i got of the Fusion sucked. they were either too far away (the one on the turntable) or overly rushed (the car i sat in) here they are anyway.

IMG_2532.jpg

IMG_2552.jpg

OH! and the Raptor was there

IMG_2542.jpg

Hey, the first time I've seen the red dash trim...a bit much for me! :)

Your rear picture of the Fusion shows three LED diodes along the corner of the lens. MY MKS has this, wish they did something different, I don't like that.

Great to see the Raptor, how can we forget that brilliant new addition!

Oh, did you get photos of the MKZ, particularly the rear when lit?

Your rear picture of the Fusion shows three LED diodes along the corner of the lens. MY MKS has this, wish they did something different, I don't like that.

Great to see the Raptor, how can we forget that brilliant new addition!

Oh, did you get photos of the MKZ, particularly the rear when lit?

I was there yesterday too!

post-19198-1227498702_thumb.jpg

Edited by timmm55

What else would they do? They're just there for side running lights (at night).

I was there yesterday too!

I still don't like that awkward bumper (the sides, I mean).

What else would they do? They're just there for side running lights (at night).

I still don't like that awkward bumper (the sides, I mean).

I realize it's functional, but it's a design deficiency IMO, seems too much like a workaround that simply doesn't look intentional.

I really like the new MKZ the more I see it, but the single row of LEDs looks bad in every photo I've seen.

I have to wait until next weekend. I have family and such coming into town and they want to go. Thanks for the heads up on the Fusion t-shirts (I'll have to snatch one up).

Oh and I'll pass on the lemonade...

So folks were crowding the Fusion displays eh?

Well it is the car that will redefine Ford...