Michelin Cross Terrain Tires

I had those tires before I got the Pirelli's. Nice, quiet tire, but you won't get very many miles on them. Mine had about 20k miles on them when I got rid of them, and they were worn down to the wear bars.

OUCH! You have kids driving the vehicle? By the way, one of my kids put a set of Pirellis on his Freestyle AWD- very satisfied.

OUCH! You have kids driving the vehicle? By the way, one of my kids put a set of Pirellis on his Freestyle AWD- very satisfied.

My wife and I are the only ones that drive it, and neither of us drive it like we stole it. We baby the heck out of it because we need it to last another three years.

I also put Pirelli P4's on my '00 Focus last fall, and it handles excellent now in the snow.

I used to be a Good Year guy, but now that I have tried Pirelli, I don't see going back.

:redcard:

I have Cooper Discover ATR's on my Superduty (Pirelli from the factory were horrible in the snow), and Cooper Trendsetter on my Taurus (Continentals on it went to crap fast). Very satisified with both. The ATR's are very quiet, and excellent in the Snow. I refuse to purchase tires from a non-american manufacturer!!!

Just my 2 cents... :shades:

Edited by danglin

• 2 months later...
:redcard:

I have Cooper Discover ATR's on my Superduty (Pirelli from the factory were horrible in the snow), and Cooper Trendsetter on my Taurus (Continentals on it went to crap fast). Very satisified with both. The ATR's are very quiet, and excellent in the Snow. I refuse to purchase tires from a non-american manufacturer!!!

Just my 2 cents... :shades:

I have 2002 Ford Explorer and I have the factor Michelin on it and I only replaced them at 65,000 miles because there was a hole in the side wall. So I replaced them with the same Michelin and I'm approaching 95,000 miles on them and they still look good. No uneven tire wear or anything. I have had them rotated every 5,000 miles and never had an issue.

Terry

I have 2002 Ford Explorer and I have the factor Michelin on it and I only replaced them at 65,000 miles because there was a hole in the side wall. So I replaced them with the same Michelin and I'm approaching 95,000 miles on them and they still look good. No uneven tire wear or anything. I have had them rotated every 5,000 miles and never had an issue.

Terry

Well somewhere between 2002 and 2007 Michelin started making tires for Ford that just wear out too soon. My 06 Fusion's stock Michelins wore out at 36000. And don't think I'm hard on them, I am a stickler for correct tire pressure and rotations.

I made it through the winter on the Crapp Terrains from the factory, so at least I squeezed 38000mi out of them. In 2 weeks I'm getting a new set of either BFG Long Trail T/A Tours or the new Dunlop Signature CS.

Well somewhere between 2002 and 2007 Michelin started making tires for Ford that just wear out too soon. My 06 Fusion's stock Michelins wore out at 36000. And don't think I'm hard on them, I am a stickler for correct tire pressure and rotations.

I made it through the winter on the Crapp Terrains from the factory, so at least I squeezed 38000mi out of them. In 2 weeks I'm getting a new set of either BFG Long Trail T/A Tours or the new Dunlop Signature CS.

They started using lower profile tires with stickier compounds for better handling. The result is lower treadlife. This is not unique to Ford.

Frankly, the tradeoffs required to make a tire last 60,000 miles are not worth the savings to me. I'd rather have quieter, smoother, better performing tires and replace them every 30K.

• 2 weeks later...

Over the weekend I finally replaced the CrapTerrains with a set of BFGoodrich Long Trail T/A Tours. So far so good- just as quiet anyway. I'll get a chance to take them on a longer trip this weekend. Even the guy at the shop said they are a nicer tire that will last a lot longer than the Michelins, even though the Michelins were $500 more for the set.

My 2007 Eddie Bauer has the Good Year Fortera. they are shot at 35,000 miles. Looking for new right now. Any body use Uniroyal?
Over the weekend I finally replaced the CrapTerrains with a set of BFGoodrich Long Trail T/A Tours. So far so good- just as quiet anyway. I'll get a chance to take them on a longer trip this weekend. Even the guy at the shop said they are a nicer tire that will last a lot longer than the Michelins, even though the Michelins were $500 more for the set.

FYI...both the Uniroyals and BF Goodrich tire lines are owned by Michelin.

• 2 weeks later...

I replaced the factory tires on my 2006 18" with BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A. Unfortunately, any savings I got from buying from the local wholesale club (name withheld to keep from being sued) evaporated because they could not balance the tires. I quickly learned that not all balancing equipment is the same. I ended up having to go to Firestone. After throwing down $70, they were able to get the tires vibration free past 55mph.

The only problem with this BF Goodrich set is that every little bump in the road is transmitted through the steering column. And these tires are not nearly as forgiving when going over speed bumps. I just hope they last.

My wife and I are the only ones that drive it, and neither of us drive it like we stole it. We baby the heck out of it because we need it to last another three years.

I also put Pirelli P4's on my '00 Focus last fall, and it handles excellent now in the snow.

I used to be a Good Year guy, but now that I have tried Pirelli, I don't see going back.

:stirpot:

Goodyear uses USA union labor; :shades:

I replaced the factory tires on my 2006 18" with BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A. Unfortunately, any savings I got from buying from the local wholesale club (name withheld to keep from being sued) evaporated because they could not balance the tires. I quickly learned that not all balancing equipment is the same. I ended up having to go to Firestone. After throwing down $70, they were able to get the tires vibration free past 55mph.

The only problem with this BF Goodrich set is that every little bump in the road is transmitted through the steering column. And these tires are not nearly as forgiving when going over speed bumps. I just hope they last.

I got mine at a local tire shop, and they weren't balanced right the first time either. I took it back, they fixed em, now they're great. I've had the opportunity to take them on a long trip and a lot of short ones. Very low road noise and I don't feel every little bump. I can't say about speed bumps though. I'd recommend these tires to anyone!

:stirpot:

Goodyear uses USA union labor; :shades:

They were my first choice until the only model they had in 18's to fit would have cost $200 more.

• 3 weeks later...