Next Generation Mustang

Tico

Dean, I know that you are excited about this setup, but I think that it will not meet its sales goals for such a package. This is only me, I think that Mustangs are V-8 performance and v-6 or 4cyl more economical models. The Mustang does not have a great history of high performance packages other than V-8's. Betcha a Coca-Cola Classic on it.

oh, and make it a Newcastle and you are on.....LOL!

ARRRRRRG!...everyone need to look at themselves in the mirror and ask a perfectly legit question...when the 3.5 eco gets put into a REAR wheel drive platform that can handle SUBSTAMNTIALLY mor ehorsepower than the FWD SHO...WHY, oh WHY would they feel inclined to dial it DOWN ( it has seen close to 500 on the bench but dialed down to the 365 so as not to obliterate FWD transmissions ) thats an INSULT to the Mustang mentality....IMO it will be 400 plus and in a limited edition..........

And, hasn't Mulally already said PERFORMACE versions of the Eco-boost will come later? I take that to mean the SHO is only a minor tweaked version of EB.

And, hasn't Mulally already said PERFORMACE versions of the Eco-boost will come later? I take that to mean the SHO is only a minor tweaked version of EB.

shhhh, there IS a Fusion AWD with the SHO engine shoehorned...from someone that has actually had hands on has said it is a BEAST. SO, if they are putting the engine in the Taurus and Fusion...sure leads me to beleive the Stang is ALSO on the list...with a LARGE jump in HP.

ARRRRRRG!...everyone need to look at themselves in the mirror and ask a perfectly legit question...when the 3.5 eco gets put into a REAR wheel drive platform that can handle SUBSTAMNTIALLY mor ehorsepower than the FWD SHO...WHY, oh WHY would they feel inclined to dial it DOWN ( it has seen close to 500 on the bench but dialed down to the 365 so as not to obliterate FWD transmissions ) thats an INSULT to the Mustang mentality....IMO it will be 400 plus and in a limited edition..........

Just because it CAN make that power, doesnt mean it HAS to make that hp. Im inclined to dial it down so it can play second fiddle to the 5.0L V8, those that buy the 3.5EB can turn up the boost fairly easily.

Just because it CAN make that power, doesnt mean it HAS to make that hp. Im inclined to dial it down so it can play second fiddle to the 5.0L V8, those that buy the 3.5EB can turn up the boost fairly easily.

I personally hope the days of seeing HALF- assed efforts from Ford are long past....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Not a direct correlation but the Ford Aus guys got bored and did this sketch:

Looks too much like the failed GTO GM was selling a few years ago. Of course they both came from down under so I guess no surprise.

Do you guys look before you type?. A 350 hp GT?, 1.6 - 2.0 1-4, hybrid For a Stang?, Now i don't like Mustangs but let's not be silly here. Why will Ford downgrade hp on new just relesed engines?, why not start with low hp if CAFE is going to kicking anyway. Also the Mustang v-6 gets 30 mpg so what's the point of an i-4?, If you want a eco 1.6 1-4 performance car get a turbo Fiesta or Focus

Here's what Ford may have for '14

Base: 305-330 hp v-6

Special 365 hp e/b v-6 maybe

GT: "412"- 440 hp 5.0

Boss: "450" hp 5.0

GT500 600 hp s/c 5.0

Edited by Fgts

• 2 weeks later...

Cute, but probably very inaccurate.

Personally, I would expect to see the next gen Mustang take a more modern approach to its design. While I'm sure it'll still carry several heritage design cues, I doubt there will be a single model you could point out as its "inspiration" like you can with the S197's.

As for powertrains, by then I'm sure EcoBoost would be well in order and hybrid is certainly within the realm of possibility, though I would expect the higher end versions to still be gasoline-only. The new 5.0 V8 will likely still be around at that time doing duty in the GT and some version of the 3.5 will also probably still be soldiering on for some time.

Timeframe? From what I remember hearing, it is expected to be all-new for MY 2014, just in time for its 50th anniversary.

when i posted that pony cars would be banned in ten years you laughed! Well look now we have a leftest illegal non born president who is raising the cafe standard when we need to repeal it. The supreme overlord Obama wants even highway trucks to have cafe standards. They wont directly outlaw pony cars but will do so by stating certain critia that autos must get like 50 mpg 100mpg safety standards. Also we now see that the big v8 is a thing of the past, we see v8 being replaced with v6 (some turbo) and v6 being replaced with i-4 (some turbo) and they charge extra since they are more fuel efficient (see ford echo boost).

No one can outlaw Pony Cars with fuel economy standards. It's 2010! We live in a world where you can have 500 horesepower and still get 35mpg.

And while I'm here...

I'd like to see the Mustang made a few inches narrower and the rear window moved back several inches with the tail of the car shortened to make a hatch back with more rear headroom.

There's no way you can have a V8 and the Ecoboost V6. They'll cost the same price, make the same horsepower, and everyone will buy the V8 because it's cheaper to maintain. The same thing happened to the 2.3L turbo in the 1980's.

The Mustang is already too small to squeeze in a hybrid battery. I wouldn't be opposed to the 2.5L Duratech engine being installed, but a better candidate for a serious fuel miser would be the 2.5L Duratorque Diesel from Europe.

I agree neither CAFE nor $4.00 a gallon gas will kill the pony cars of 2015. At least Ford will have enough engines in it's stable to answer the challenge. Be it V8s or turbo 4s there will be a 2015 Mustang. So what I am really interested in is why will it look like??? Will the car stay on the same platform as S197? Will it be able to get smaller, lighter? Will it keep retro looks or go more modern? Of course it must keep traditional mustangs ques like the hockey stick and 3 bar tail lights. So any one else wanna take a crack at a photo shop?

IMHO, within 3 years, the Mustang will get the I4 EB.

Falcon gets EB 2.0 in the first half of 2011, it will be the first RWD with an EB I-4.

No doubt that development work which was started back in 2008 will flow on to other RWDs.

• Like 1

As long as CAFE allows one vehicle's mileage to be offset by another, performance cars are safe.

Every Fiesta sold allows another V8 5.0 to roll off the lot without a care to Ford...

That's right. Ford will sell enough Fiestas and Focuses to offset the Mustang. Hell, even the base Mustang is enough to offset the GT and GT500.

That's right. Ford will sell enough Fiestas and Focuses to offset the Mustang. Hell, even the base Mustang is enough to offset the GT and GT500.

I honestly believe the government will eventually drop the separate CAFE lists

for domestic and import vehicles for a given manufacturer.