What Automotive Features Do You Hate?

Large taillamp lenses that do not completely light up--what is the point?

exposed windshield wipers-they should duck behind the back edge of the hood

I too hate airbags, highmount brakelamps, child seat hook up points, child locks and most of the government mandatory "safety" crap that just adds weight and expense to a car

side markers that are not integrated into over all design--just stuck on (current Malibu)

"blue" headlights

door locks that do not unlock with when door handle is pulled

dull dash boards--very few have any flair or design anymore

extremely large hazard light buttons smack in the middle of the dash

cigarette lighters and ashtrays--should be optional

airbag warning stickers

needless advertising of cars features on fenders, dashes etc

red dashboard light i.e. Pontiac--they are light one big trouble light gone bad

nets for map pockets

interiors with little illumination

engine compartments without a light

imposible to remove oil filters

front seats that have room to move back further, but have too short of track

rear door windows that do not roll down completely--or even close to it

dash board symbols instead of words

dash board typesets not consistant

headrests that do not tip forward

new style power window butons--more government mandates

just to name a few

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But you sure can drive 30 miles with that light on and still coast on in to the nearest gas station on fumes no less!

Been there, done that.

When I started sputtering, I floored the gas and got up to about 75. I coasted for about 3/4 of a mile on a flat right up to the pump.

I was in an unfamiliar (and rural) area, and mistakenly assumed there'd be more gas stations. The other thing I've learned to never do is allow my gas to get below 1/4 tank before I pass through a major city. When you have a truck/trailer, it can be a PITA to find a station (within a large city) where you enter/exit.

Fer cryin' out loud, I know about the frickin' bumps already! I knew about them before I made my first frickin' post! The point is, you have to feel or look -- I can just DO it.

You mean you drive with your hand on the cruise control stalk at all times?

Because if you don't, you still have to feel/look to find the stalk.

-------

And besides, how often are you fiddling with the cruise control anyway? Ron says, "Set it and forget it!"

ron_pic.jpg

Edited by RichardJensen

You mean you drive with your hand on the cruise control stalk at all times?

Because if you don't, you still have to feel/look to find the stalk.

With just as much difficulty as you hit the turn signal. Maybe that's a good mental comparison?

And besides, how often are you fiddling with the cruise control anyway? Ron says, "Set it and forget it!"

ron_pic.jpg

I work a few hours offset from rush hour; 90% of my daily commute can be done on cruise control, but there are lots of speed limit changes and places where cops hang out that I gotta adjust frequently, even if there are no cars.

Low fuel warning alarm,

When the nearest gas station is 50 miles away, the chime/flashing light adds to the high drama.......

LOL With nearest watering hole 50 mile up road, vinyl seats have melted on your old Falcon its 220c inside the car and it's a cool 45c outside with no shadows to hide under apart from your Sheila & a couple of winging poms you picked up 10 miles back for company life does not get much sweeter eh JPD :hysterical:

Still it could be worse JPD you could be stuck on Yorkshire Moors stuck in 6ft of blast of Russian snow this weekend -6c with only T-Stag an escaped local lunatic who broke out from an asylum in a BL Triumph which he failed to start for company boring you death with Jaguar/Land Rover & how the whole world will be buying Nano's this time next year as TATA take over the worlds automovive industry with a little help & know how from J/LR of course, as folk around the world go completely off their golf trolley. It must have been that dodgy batch of Peckham spring water that done it.

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

Still it could be worse JPD you could be stuck on Yorkshire Moors stuck in 6ft of blast of Russian snow this weekend -6c with only T-Stag an escaped local lunatic who broke out from an asylum in a BL Triumph which he failed to start for company boring you death with Jaguar/Land Rover & how the whole world will be buying Nano's this time next year as TATA take over the worlds automovive industry with a little help & know how from J/LR of course, as folk around the world go completely off their golf trolley. It must have been that dodgy batch of Peckham spring water that done it.

Boy, perspective would help on that one. I have none, and barely understood what you're saying here.

My "southern" must be my hindrance.

"What we have here is.........FAILURE......to commun'cate."

Boy, perspective would help on that one. I have none, and barely understood what you're saying here.

My "southern" must be my hindrance.

"What we have here is.........FAILURE......to commun'cate."

LOL - If you ever visit London you won't get by without this

Guide link

Sarth London - Hooky Street lingo

Guide Link..

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

OK, I am ready to weigh in on this one.

Oversize consoles

Floor shifters on automatic transmissions (or more properly, the lack of dash or column mounted alternatives)(I am not a teenager who needs to play speedracer)

Tiny buttons close together

Non-intuitive placement of controls (I prefer that I be able to adjust the radio and HVAC controls by feel only, I do not want to have to take my eye of the road to change the station, volume, or temperature)

Too many functions on one stalk (a GM specialty - turn signals, dimmer, wipers, ws washer and cruise is just a bit much on one stalk)

Displays on dashes that get washed out when the sun is at your back, or that force you to turn up the intensity to max when you have the wipers and lights on in daylight hours

The lack of bench (or split bench) seats in everything but trucks and grandpa cars.

With just as much difficulty as you hit the turn signal. Maybe that's a good mental comparison?

Well, seeings how most of the time when I'm highway cruising my right hand is off the wheel completely (resting on the arm rest and floor mounted shifter), adjusting the cruise control is a matter of arm movement no matter what.

When my hand is on the wheel, it's as likely as not to be positioned where I can hit the cruise control switches without moving more than my thumb.

Well, seeings how most of the time when I'm highway cruising my right hand is off the wheel completely (resting on the arm rest and floor mounted shifter), adjusting the cruise control is a matter of arm movement no matter what.

When my hand is on the wheel, it's as likely as not to be positioned where I can hit the cruise control switches without moving more than my thumb.

Interesting -- I'm far more likely to have my left arm resting on the door's armrest (I'm right handed), with my right arm on the wheel (my elbow can still rest on the center console).

So in this scenario, steering wheel controls are only useful to you when they're on the left-hand side of the wheel, no?

Interesting -- I'm far more likely to have my left arm resting on the door's armrest (I'm right handed), with my right arm on the wheel (my elbow can still rest on the center console).

So in this scenario, steering wheel controls are only useful to you when they're on the left-hand side of the wheel, no?

Well, I listen to radio, so the thing I do most is cycle through stations, and that's a right handed thing.

I would imagine that unless my next car has audio controls on the left side of the wheel, I'll be using the console controls because they're closer to my free hand than the steering wheel controls, which is really kind of goofy when you think about it.

My typical interstate driving position is left elbow on the arm rest, left hand at 9:00, and my right elbow on the arm rest with my right hand on the console shifter or the coffee mug.

That's why I don't think I could ever leave Ford--the arm rests are always in the wrong spots.

I too hate airbags, highmount brakelamps, child seat hook up points, child locks and most of the government mandatory "safety" crap that just adds weight and expense to a car

Agree with most your post, but regarding this portion, it's clear you must not have kids. Cause I know I'm glad all those items are available to keep my little ones safe.

But to each thier own I guess.

I don't know if it was mentioned or not...but after having nothing bu VW's to work on today...wheel studs instead of lug nuts.

I second that on the VW wheel studs. I could not imagine being on the side of the road at night trying to support the tire and line up the lug bolts and holes. Its difficult enough on a lift.

VW is one of my most hated vehicles to work on. I will not purchase one because of the over engineered POS they are. The electrical diagrams are illegible.

Oh and I know most European vehicle have wheel lug bolts. But I have just had non pleasent experiences with VW

Edited by fordtech1

Ooooooo. I just found out what lug bolts are.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

What is the POINT?

WHAT IS THE POINT?

Was there a staff meeting, where a picture of a wheel hub was put up on one of those flip charts, and the boss looks at the other guys around the conference table and says:

"Okay, vee hafff complicated zee doorlocks. Vee hafff made zee routine serfiss a nightmare. Vee haff set zee 'check engine' light to come on efery zix veeks no matter vat. Vat vee haf not done isss make zee changing of zee tire somesing to leave zee owner cursing and zpitting. Vat can vee do boyssss?"

And after a long pause a guy way down at the end of the table becomes famous forever by saying,

"Vee can make it so zee owner needs tree hans to change zee tire. Two hans to hold zee tire and a tird hand to tread a screw in a hole. Zat vill make zee owner so mad he vill zpit."

Edited by RichardJensen

I second that on the VW wheel studs. I could not imagine being on the side of the road at night trying to support the tire and line up the lug bolts and holes. Its difficult enough on a lift.

VW is one of my most hated vehicles to work on. I will not purchase one because of the over engineered POS they are. The electrical diagrams are illegible.

Oh and I know most European vehicle have wheel lug bolts. But I have just had non pleasent experiences with VW

Forgot all about those. Thos suck! first saw those when i was with my cousin working on an 84 BMW he had. quite the WTF moment.

OH! another Euro hating thing - Jaguar J gate and Mercedes staggared auto shifters. Also BMW "to the left, and up" Reverse on their 5 speed manuals in the 80s.

0 miles to empty? You deserve an award! How many gallons did you put into it vs. your overall fuel capacity?

According to my reciept, I put in 17.910 gallons, compared to 18.6 gallon capacity (as per the Flex brochure). So there's more left I guess.....the 0 is probably set early just to make sure you get gas before you kill the engine by running out of gas.

Fer cryin' out loud, I know about the frickin' bumps already! I knew about them before I made my first frickin' post! The point is, you have to feel or look -- I can just DO it.

I'm able to just DO it.....with a stalk you also have to remember which direction you push/pull the stalk forward/backward/up/down to do different functions.

Well, I listen to radio, so the thing I do most is cycle through stations, and that's a right handed thing.

I would imagine that unless my next car has audio controls on the left side of the wheel, I'll be using the console controls because they're closer to my free hand than the steering wheel controls, which is really kind of goofy when you think about it.

My typical interstate driving position is left elbow on the arm rest, left hand at 9:00, and my right elbow on the arm rest with my right hand on the console shifter or the coffee mug.

That's why I don't think I could ever leave Ford--the arm rests are always in the wrong spots.

That's how I drive.

Was there a staff meeting, where a picture of a wheel hub was put up on one of those flip charts, and the boss looks at the other guys around the conference table and says:

"Okay, vee hafff complicated zee doorlocks. Vee hafff made zee routine serfiss a nightmare. Vee haff set zee 'check engine' light to come on efery zix veeks no matter vat. Vat vee haf not done isss make zee changing of zee tire somesing to leave zee owner cursing and zpitting. Vat can vee do boyssss?"

And after a long pause a guy way down at the end of the table becomes famous forever by saying,

"Vee can make it so zee owner needs tree hans to change zee tire. Two hans to hold zee tire and a tird hand to tread a screw in a hole. Zat vill make zee owner so mad he vill zpit."

I was looking at those the other day on a VW. And :hysterical: Richard.

Going along with stupid things that over complicate something....................GM starters and shims. I replaced the starter on my sister's Sunbird once. as I pulled out the old one, all this "junk" falls out. I had no idea what they were, at least until I tried out the new starter. Ended up having to run around and buy more because the original ones were not enough. Not that Ford's are perfect but just a few bolts and some connectors sure simplify things.

The stalk mounted horn

AAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!! Don't say things that remind of the 1982 Ford Granada! That was the worst debacle ever hoisted on mankind! And it wouldn't die dammit!

We used to interchange keys between a '74 pinto, '73 F-series, and'73 club wagon.

My list.

1. the oval air filter on my '82 GLC that nobody on earth made a replacement for.

2. The 2.8 GM V-6.

3. Odometers on automatic trannied cars that are bigger than the speedo.

4. Stereos with tiny buttons.

5. Chrysler auto trannies.

6. the wheels on my 03 neon. An economy car that required expensive low profile tires.

7. Horn Buttons