What Automotive Features Do You Hate?

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3. Keys that are more than keys. If I want to get a new key, I want to go to Ace Hardware and pay $1.59 for it. If I want a keyless entry remote, I'll carry it on my keychain. I don't need a GI-NORMOUS key with integrated fob. (these new keys that aren't really keys, like the Chryco 300, are the spawn of the Devil)

ONE EXCEPTION! Behold - the coolest key ever made for a car. The Swiss Army Key of sorts, the early Ford Pinto key!

http://www.fordpinto.com/smf/index.php?act...s;sa=view;id=64

7bb0_1.jpg

BTW - i know breaker points and hate them. yes i can adjust them but they work better in the trash :)

ONE EXCEPTION! Behold - the coolest key ever made for a car. The Swiss Army Key of sorts, the early Ford Pinto key!

http://www.fordpinto.com/smf/index.php?act...s;sa=view;id=64

7bb0_1.jpg

BTW - i know breaker points and hate them. yes i can adjust them but they work better in the trash :)

Great Keys. I used to have a fancy set that came with my '66 T-bird with Turquoise colored Birds. The first thing I did with my Mustang was swap a Pertronix ignition for the points. Never a problem in 11 years.

Another one I forgot - AWD 4x4s. Let the crossovers have the AWD, if you by a real 4x4 it should give you 2wd as as the default and let you select 4hi/4lo as needed. I find that awd in slippery conditions (at least in my Dodge - sorry) vacilates between overpowering the front wheels, then the rear and makes it rather unpredicatable. On dry pavement full throttle will smoke the front tires in AWD.

...and I suppose it's too much to ask for manually locking hubs and a real stick for the transfer case?

Edited by jpvbs

Forgive me. I'm too young to remember those. The only Pinto key I remember was a gigantic Oval (Think Ford logo outline forming a T-shape). A college buddy had one.

My number one pet pieve is those stupid symbols that tell you this one is lights, this one is wipers, this one is coolant, ect............................

+1

Mini-spares and those specrapular scissor jacks.

+1

Agreed. Also the clear-lens tail lamps are getting outta hand. Some vehicles look terrible with these....

Can't stand them!!!

Stalk controls for anything other than turn signals and lights. This includes gear selector, horn, CC, ANYTHING ELSE

Non-functional spoilers and ugly functional spoilers.

+1

Especially the 3ft spoiler on the punk kids moms 92 Excort 4-door stripper model with shiney spinner hub caps.

The "gee, what gear should I be in" automatic transmission in my F150. Including the patented "thunk" you get when you get around 50-60 when it does finally pick a gear, only to jump ship at the drop of a hat. My father's F150 is the same way. Thank Christ for the new six-speeds.

The "Let's build a great off-road SUV, but forget about the little things" designers at Nissan when they made the Xterra. Want a sunroof on an 05' or better Xterra?

Never have had that issue with any of my 150s

I also looked at the Xterra years back. They did have a sunroof at that time, but it was inoperable due to the roof rack system.

Quite a few good items on this thread. Hope someone is paying attention.

Here's mine:

1. DRL (your headlight bulbs don't last as long), and by extension automatic headlights.

2. Keyless doors and hatch. (it's ok to ADD a keyless remote, but DON'T eliminate the keyhole on the door please)

5. Things that are "options" that should be standard (Full-size spares and a real working jack. Floor mats.)

9. Windows that don't roll down ALL THE WAY!

Agreed!

Glad all the Fords I've owned have allowed you to turn the DRL off.

Yeah, hate that my 06 F150 doesn't have a passenger door keyhole. Pisses me off even though I have the keyfob.

Small spares and those jacks suck!!!

Hated the rear windows in my mothers 92 Civic and 96 Sentra cause of that.

I think the windows don't go down all the way because of the doors shape, the rear windows on the Model A don't go all the way down either and that's what I figured the reason was, the bottom of the door has to come in a little bit to make room for the rear wheel well.

My mothers Civic and Sentra were supposedly for safety, not design.

3. Shoulder belts that run on the tracks along the door...I hate being decapitated

Beat me to it. But dang I hated those things. Never owned one, but had a couple friends that did. Hated getting in/out of those cars. Not only almost decapitating yourself, but also knocking your head on the little runner portion that the belt locks into.

Because asshole consumers in this country can't read anymore. That's why!

Yup! But amazingly they know how to read the DL test brochure. Think nobody can read "Yield" anymore, or at least that part wasn't covered in their DL test.

Edited by V8-X

OOOhhhhh....... from my Tribute...........

**Heated seat buttons that are raised, and are on the top of the plastic cover.................. so every time you get into the seat, the soft bolsters allow it to go down far enough to turn on the seat heaters.

This is fine in the winter............... but nothing is more annoying than a hot seat, when it is 100 degrees outside.

**Power seat controls that you have to squeeze your hand between the seat and the door panel, to get to.

Its a good thing that I don't wear rings (I'm too hard on them), or my seat or door panels would be all gouged up.

** Intermittant wipers that are not the same in all vehicles. In some, its up, in some, its down, in some, its intermittant first, in some, its intermittant last, in some its faster first, in some, it is faster last....................... AUGH.

PS, I have manual hubs, and a manual tcase in my '08 SD.............. ahhh, simplicity. There are also nice clear words on my steering wheel controls, which is great, since there are alot of them.

What about the joystick seat control on the front of the seat that you had to push right to move the seat forward, and left to move it backward (or was it the other way around)

That's how it is in my Mustang. Up and down moves the seat up and down, and then the recline/incline is located on the SIDE of the seat. Doesn't make a lick of sense, but really, if you're the only one who drives your car (as I am) does it really matter? As Ron Popeil would say, "Set it and forget it."

Not sure if this was mentioned yet or not, I skipped a page: Center-mounted window controls. BOOOO!!!!

Edited by NickF1011

What in the hell do people need to buy a car specifically on where they place cup holders? Give me a fucking break folks!

What about not getting cup holders like my '88 Mustang. Oh, that was what the space between the E-brake and seat was for...especially after the cable would snap and not work anymore. It was diet friendly, no super-size cups would fit so you were forced to always order the small coke from the drive-thru.

What about not getting cup holders like my '88 Mustang. Oh, that was what the space between the E-brake and seat was for...especially after the cable would snap and not work anymore. It was diet friendly, no super-size cups would fit so you were forced to always order the small coke from the drive-thru.

My '97 Mustang is simular. It has the awful flip-out cupholder from the armrest, but the spot between the brake handle and seat worked a lot better. :lol:

Drove a rental Chevy Cobalt LT yesterday and found some to add to the list:

1.) Automatic headlights only! No way to manually turn them on. Still haven't figured out how to turn on the high beams yet.

2.) The switch you think is the headlight/domelight switch only dims the gauges. If you want to turn the domelight on you have to reach up to the switch on the light. WTF!

Also:

3.) The stupid upshift arrow on manual transmission cars.

I also agree with many of the already posted items that I will not repeat here.

Forgive me. I'm too young to remember those. The only Pinto key I remember was a gigantic Oval (Think Ford logo outline forming a T-shape). A college buddy had one.

Too young? im only 27 lol.

Ill post a pic of the set that i have at home. There is a flat blade screwdriver, sort of a Phillips screwdriver, a points gapper, plug gapper and mini ruler on the keys. They rock.

My family has 4 different Fords and every time I get into one I have to figure out how to operate the controls on the darn thing. On/off for head lights, wipers, whatever. Why can't they be close enough so I can operate them all without having to hunt?

Mulally took care of that !

In the first couple of weeks he was at the company he drove each vehicle home for a couple of days (shocking ! Trotman did not drive himself to or from work.). Story is, he came into a staff meeting fuming that he could not find the light switch on the car he was driving that day and that in the future all car would have "essential" controls (headlights, wiper, cruise buttons, etc.) in the same place !

Wow, what a concept !!

Too young? im only 27 lol.

Ill post a pic of the set that i have at home. There is a flat blade screwdriver, sort of a Phillips screwdriver, a points gapper, plug gapper and mini ruler on the keys. They rock.

I guess things are different in California.

The last Pinto I saw in my area wasn't a Pinto, but a Bobcat. It was an Orange (with fake wood sides) hatchback with brown fabric seats, that felt like burlap to sit on. It was a friend's car when I was in college, about 18 years ago. His was the one with the big oval key.

You just don't see too many cars over 20 years old around here (Raleigh, NC), unless it's a pickup truck or a 280z/mustang/camaro. The rest seem to have disappeared.