Toyota's Heavy, Pricey Small-SUV Misfire

8A4RE

its about time the media realises they've been hosed by Toyota for years

Yeah, but how long will it take mainstream (?) America to realize that they've been had for so many years? This ugly, underperforming(being kind) POS will still probably sell because it's a Toyota. Come on folks, wake up and look at the domestics for once, willya?

Yeah, but how long will it take mainstream (?) America to realize that they've been had for so many years? This ugly, underperforming(being kind) POS will still probably sell because it's a Toyota. Come on folks, wake up and look at the domestics for once, willya?

So break it down for me, what is better about the Edge over the Vensa?

Read his comments again for the AWD system. As an Edge owner living where the snow sometimes gets heavy, I have absolutely no trouble negotiating my way around. The way he describes the Venza (what the hell kind of name is that anyway, a Japanese attempt at Italian?) I'd be nervous driving it.

Read his comments again for the AWD system. As an Edge owner living where the snow sometimes gets heavy, I have absolutely no trouble negotiating my way around. The way he describes the Venza (what the hell kind of name is that anyway, a Japanese attempt at Italian?) I'd be nervous driving it.

Since I live where it never snows, moot point. Also, giving an OPINION about looks of the Vensa vs. the Edge would not work on me. I find the Edge boring and generic. Especially the interior.

So back to convincing me the Edge is a better choice.

Only subjective things like looks IMO. Vice versa, what does the Venza have over the Edge? They are both rather comprable in their segments, although the Edge probably has better AWD manners. (something which i know nothing about, ive been in snow only twice in my life)

That review was almost as scathing as the Kia Borracho one ;)

Since I live where it never snows, moot point. Also, giving an OPINION about looks of the Vensa vs. the Edge would not work on me. I find the Edge boring and generic. Especially the interior.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Ford_Edge/

I won't even try to convince you.....it has to do with preference.

But I did drive a friend's Edge the other day, and I was very impressed: smooth ride, handled very well and was surprisingly peppy. I love the looks. The interior is rather plain but very functional. This was a base model with cloth seats that were very comfortable (actually I don't like leather myself as they crease/crack and are too slippery, and cloth soaks up noise better). As I said to him "This is the vehicle to take on a long distance drive!" I was doing 80-90 mph and it was effortless.

IF I needed a 4 door car/truck with limousine comfort this would be at the top of my list.

This article mentions Toyota's unraveling (note 2007 date):

http://www.cars.com/go/crp/research.jsp?re...amp;aff=newsday

Perhaps I'm just reacting to the wind shear. In the midst of Toyota's triumphal march across America - including a go at NASCAR racing and a full-court press in the full-size pickup segment (Tundra), both at the emotional heart of American car culture - the Yaris seems puny. Excellence has become so routine that, when one of Toyota's cars goes so far amiss, you have to wonder if this is the first thread of an unraveling Toyota mystique.

The Vensa is another tug on the unraveling.

Well for one thing the Edge doesn't ride atop a sloppy Camry chassis.

And what's so thrilling about an interior trimmed with 'wood' that looks like something that someone printed off their home inkjet printer and glued to the center console?

Edited by Michael Reynolds

So I've got an upscale Edge, the MKX and i think it's styling is excellent. Seeing that toyoda shown on TV makes me think somehow they have computer generated the image of it,, it just looks stretched out too long low and wide.

Interior wise, I hate where toyoda has put that automatic control stick, that seems to idiotic to me, they just should go with push-buttons on the dash.

Also leather today is NOT like leather from 20 years ago. It's coated with a polyurethane, and will not crack or split. I know in the Edge a lot of people complain about how hard the seats are, I thought the same when I first got into mine, but then in just a short wile, I began to like how it felt. Something is different about them, like they studied how your body reacts to long distance traveling and the seats seem to envelope you.

Personally, I don't think I would have bought the Edge if the Lincoln wasn't available. But I did and still do like that MKX interior. Quiet too quiet, you can't tell the engine is running, smooth ride. plenty of room. Best vehicle I've ever owned.

Next time you see that toyoda on TV, take a look at how I described it's looks, that can't be real.

Well for one thing the Edge doesn't ride atop a sloppy Camry chassis.

And what's so thrilling about an interior trimmed with 'wood' that looks like something that someone printed off their home inkjet printer and glued to the center console?

you mean the kind with visible half-tone dots?

What is happening is that Toyota's Camry underpinnings are showing their age and inadequacy.

Toyota has treated the '92 Camry like a piece of taffy. They've stretched it in all three dimensions without substantially re-engineering it or rethinking it, and the result is, well, what you see here. A vehicle that only weighs a couple hundred pounds less than the Edge, but with none of its charms, space, or versatility.

What is happening is that Toyota's Camry underpinnings are showing their age and inadequacy.

Toyota has treated the '92 Camry like a piece of taffy. They've stretched it in all three dimensions without substantially re-engineering it or rethinking it, and the result is, well, what you see here. A vehicle that only weighs a couple hundred pounds less than the Edge, but with none of its charms, space, or versatility.

What Toyota is doing with the outdated Camry platform is not much different then what Ford did with the D186 platform (original Taurus). Ford treated that platform like a piece of taffy and we all know how that ended up for them. Give Toyota a couple more years and you are going to start seeing the same effect.

BTW... off topic... Richard I hope you were not at the Fryn' Pan on 12th today! That sounded like a crazy situation!

Edited by 2005Explorer

god if that is true then wow. toyota is more like gm with each passing day.

i hated the way the venza looked when i saw it online. but after seeing a few on the road they actually look pretty good, of course that could be because im a big fan of the original... the edge. i went to the autoshow a few weeks back excited to mess with the venza, but once inside i was greatly disappointed. the materials were not very good and the gear selector placement bugs me